Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Barrie Stevens

Opt out of TV Licence

I was under the impression that a TV licence was required if you install and connect up a receiver in such a way that it is readily capable of receiving the transmissions. Whether you use it to watch Auntie Beeb or Netflix or anything is immaterial. If you keep your telly in a box in the attic and not at hand for potential use as a receiver then you do not need a licence (They tell me!) If your TV is a monitor for DVDs etc you do not need a licence but then it must be disabled for receiving transmissions which has caused a bit of aggro at times. You are supposed to prove it! Watching Auntie on the Internet whether live or recorded requires a licence. I still get the £7.50 a year TV licence but this is now being phased out for newcomers and if I move to a new address I will have to pay full wack...Trouble is so many urban myths surround the TV Tax...Maybe I have added to them???

• Like 1

Gary Linekers £1.7 mil,is so much worth it, who else can talk about brexit,and the new cheese and onion walkers  flavour so well? 

Basically there's two reasons why you need to have a TV licence.  Firstly if you watch or record any live television - no matter where it comes from in the world or who is broadcasting it.  Technically even a livestream over the internet is included in that - no matter what you are watching it on.  And 'live' in this instance means that you start watching the programme before it is finished - so even if you're watching it with a delay it still counts as 'live'.  And recording it and watching it later also counts as 'live'.  And even if you watch it on something other than a television (such as a smartphone) it also counts as viewing.

Secondly you also need a licence if you watch anything on BBC iPlayer (in fact it asks you when you try).  You don't need it for the catch-up services of other channels such as ITV or Channel 4 or for streaming service such as Amazon or Netflix (unless they are streaming something live).  There's a useful guide from Jack Schofield from February here, for those who don't believe the official version I linked to above.

Obviously this isn't as exciting as the man from the pub telling you that you can watch without a licence if you're wearing a tinfoil hat, but it does appear to be the law. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 6/14/2019 at 11:51 PM, Roger Mexico said:

Basically there's two reasons why you need to have a TV licence.  Firstly if you watch or record any live television - no matter where it comes from in the world or who is broadcasting it.  Technically even a livestream over the internet is included in that - no matter what you are watching it on.  And 'live' in this instance means that you start watching the programme before it is finished - so even if you're watching it with a delay it still counts as 'live'.  And recording it and watching it later also counts as 'live'.  And even if you watch it on something other than a television (such as a smartphone) it also counts as viewing.

Secondly you also need a licence if you watch anything on BBC iPlayer (in fact it asks you when you try).  You don't need it for the catch-up services of other channels such as ITV or Channel 4 or for streaming service such as Amazon or Netflix (unless they are streaming something live).  There's a useful guide from Jack Schofield from February here, for those who don't believe the official version I linked to above.

Obviously this isn't as exciting as the man from the pub telling you that you can watch without a licence if you're wearing a tinfoil hat, but it does appear to be the law. 

You seem to be talking generally, as in tv, but it is only the BBC that you need a licence for, if you don`t watch, listen to the BBC then why do you need to pay a licence fee, you watch SKY tv, SKY fooyball then you pay for it,why don`t the BBC do the same, ie. you watch it you pay for it ?

1 minute ago, LightBulb said:

You seem to be talking generally, as in tv, but it is only the BBC that you need a licence for, if you don`t watch, listen to the BBC then why do you need to pay a licence fee, you watch SKY tv, SKY fooyball then you pay for it,why don`t the BBC do the same, ie. you watch it you pay for it ?

No it's not.  You need it if you watch any live television as I outlined.  You may not think it fair, but that's the law.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

No it's not.  You need it if you watch any live television as I outlined.  You may not think it fair, but that's the law.

Where is the evidence that you need a "TV licence" to watch Now TV ?

Edited by LightBulb

8 minutes ago, LightBulb said:

Where is the evidence that you need a "TV licence" to watch Now TV ?

You don't - unless you use NowTV to watch anything that is being transmitted 'live'.  It's not how you watch it or who made the programmes but whether what you watch counts as live as I outlined above.  I suggest you look at the two links I gave in my comment above if you are uncertain..

Some general disatisfaction about the BBC in Tynwald this morning

On 5/19/2015 at 1:24 PM, Barrie Stevens said:

Anyway, I have a crystal set that can still get "Workers' Playtime" and "Meet the Huggets".....And "Dick Barton"...

... and not to forget Manx Radio TT on AM!

• Haha 1

On 6/16/2019 at 3:43 PM, Roger Mexico said:

Then the law is an ASS. This is grossly unfair and needs addressing as a priority.

• Haha 1

You need a licence from the BBC if you have any functioning TV viewing equipment in the household that is capable of picking up TV broadcast. That's my understanding of it.

It matters not if you're using it for watching Sky, Freeview, BBC, ITV, whatever. You have to have a licence in the household if that equipment works and allows you to view.

But on the bright side, one licence covers you for as many tellys as you want in the household.

• Like 1

As always I am late to the debate and do not spend all day masturbating and claiming pension credits.Basically send a letter to the BBC telling them you will not pay for a licence as you object to their left wing bias and excessive pay.Make sure that you get a proof of postage certificate and there you go.If that has not got through to those left wing clowns then if someone allegedly from TV Licence knocks at your door tell them to do one or you will knock them out.They are not allowed on your property.If anyone has ever seen a Detector Van then contact the Guinness Book Of Records..I hope that helps.....

I am the cleverest person on this forum and occasionally pop on with a bit of advice..I usually have bigger fish to fry..Just hope that helps...Ha Ha...

• Haha 1