Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
The Sick Moon

Free parking scrapped for disabled

People who don't have mobility issues have access to hundreds of free curbside parking spaces. People who do have mobility issues have access to about ten, and even then, many of them are not wheelchair accessible. This is less an issue of charging per-se, more about further restriction of choice and opportunity. I don't have a 'choice' of parking.

If the plan was to introduce parking meters so all parking in Douglas cost the same, then what would the feedback be? Would it be 'fair' and 'reasonable'? Or would it put people off shopping locally etc? It would certainly raise more money than simply targeting disabled people.

Disability isn't catching.

Reading some of the comments made on here I almost wish it was.

My wife has limited mobility.

Can mobility scooters be hired on the Isle of Mann, or should we hire one and bring it with us, if so what is the position with respect to insurance etc?

How Christian of you.

• Like 1

If Douglas Corporation is that desperate for money that they need the few quid raised by charging disabled people then they had better call in the Liquidators as the end is approaching fast !!

• Like 2

How Christian of you.

Yes, it is. Otherwise I might have left out the word almost.

Very little is done for disabled people on the Island. To begrudge a period of free parking to enable people who need help to lead as near to a normal life as others is quite simply disgusting.

No, really. Not just a phrase, it really is disgusting. Envy of the very worst kind because it is envy for its own sake.

There are a number of truly revolting people on the Island and this thread has exposed some of the very worst, those that begrudge people who need life being made a little less onerous and at no cost to anyone, just not the last drop of blood squeezed from people who have a need.

'Make them pay to have life made a bit bit easier'

Shame on people who support this.

You make me sick.

• Like 2

How Christian of you.

Yes, it is. Otherwise I might have left out the word almost.

Very little is done for disabled people on the Island. To begrudge a period of free parking to enable people who need help to lead as near to a normal life as others is quite simply disgusting.

No, really. Not just a phrase, it really is disgusting. Envy of the very worst kind because it is envy for its own sake.

There are a number of truly revolting people on the Island and this thread has exposed some of the very worst, those that begrudge people who need life being made a little less onerous and at no cost to anyone, just not the last drop of blood squeezed from people who have a need.

'Make them pay to have life made a bit bit easier'

Shame on people who support this.

You make me sick.

You are confused. I don't want all disabled people to pay. Just those who have the means by which they can comfortably pay (like a few disabled HNMI on the island).

And I'm not the one wishing disabilities on others, regardless of your shitty semantics (almost).

I don't know where councillor Christian has got his information from but a quick google search on blue badge facilities in Liverpool reveals that they do indeed allow for free parking in car parks and on street.

Get it repealed DBC

• Like 1

Walking for me and many others is very painful. I keep walking-albeit very slowly to maintain some mobility -so that I don't end up sitting at home pain free for the rest of my life-that is no life. Spaces near entrance to shops and supermarkets means I don't have to walk as far with pain. I am a person who used to walk 10 miles a day and disability has changed my life beyond comprehension. I don't mind paying at all but please lets have longer than able bodied people as I take twice as long to get around shops. To answer another statement-I had to have 2 medicals to get badge and some benefit to help with all the extra things i have to pay for that an able bodied person doesn't have to.

• Like 2

Some of the comments on this thread are disgusting. The repeated reference to 'The Disabled' is quite shocking. People with a disability are just that! They are PEOPLE who have a disability and are disadvantaged totally in our society. Equality does not mean treating people the same, it means offering people equal opportunities and making adjustments wherever necessary so that this can happen. Here on IOM we have no legislation in place to ensure people are offered equal opportunities anywhere. Our theatre's, cinemas and buildings are not easily accessible, parking facilities inadequate, employment opportunities scare and educational opportunities very limited past 16. Hate crime towards people with disabilities across the UK is at an all time high and the language used and views expressed by some in this thread are worrisome. The fact that we live in a society which accepts discrimination is bad enough but the bad will expressed by some in this thread brings it to another level!

• Like 2

My wife has limited mobility.

Can mobility scooters be hired on the Isle of Mann, or should we hire one and bring it with us, if so what is the position with respect to insurance etc?

Give CIRCA a call. They hire mobility scooters. 01624 613713.

I bet a lot of disabled people are poor though. So should it be means tested?

I fully agree that the giving of a free parking space should only be granted after means testing.

I fully agree that the giving of a free parking space should only be granted after means testing.

No, you just want to add another label, 'poor and disabled'! Isn't it embarrassing enough to be hobbling about without having a pauper label on your car?

No, you just want to add another label, 'poor and disabled'! Isn't it embarrassing enough to be hobbling about without having a pauper label on your car?

Does not have to be the case.

Why not just charge for the blue badge, but give it free to those more needy. No one need know.

Edited by dilligaf