Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man

Have you tried running your CAD and microcontroller stuff on a virtual machine running XP, Clive ??

That way you could easily upgrade to 10 and still use your legacy software.

I did consider possibly running it in WINE on a Linux machine. But a virtual XP machine might be an option too. I've never actually tried it. The software involved is really undemanding in terms of processing power because it is designed for functionality. So it could run quite well.

A free download from Oracle of "Virtualbox" will see you right.

It's very easy to use and setup.

I have a few virtual machines (VMs) on my Windows 8.1 laptop of Ubuntu, XP and Vista (for support issues when friends and family phone me)

Windows 10 downloaded this morning, not had chance to see any improvements. Took a long time to complete the update, almost 2 hours.

Been running Windows 10 since 29th, seems very good smooth and reasonably fast. Had no problems running already installed software and even various odd drivers have been found and are working.

It will need a couple of tweeks over the next few weeks (Cortana does not recognise my country {stated as UK} and the default email client is a bit iffy (adds characters to my password). Very happy with it so far!

Been running Windows 10 since 29th, seems very good smooth and reasonably fast. Had no problems running already installed software and even various odd drivers have been found and are working.

It will need a couple of tweeks over the next few weeks (Cortana does not recognise my country {stated as UK} and the default email client is a bit iffy (adds characters to my password). Very happy with it so far!

Same here, I have it on an i7 Gen 2 24 GB NVidia machine which I use for testing, I do believe Microsoft have got it right but give it a month or two to just settle down.

I would upgrade from W7 for the extra security, I would not upgrade from W8.1 as that's OK.

Before you do upgrade make sure you can go back to your previous installation in case there are fatal driver issues as happened to my US support person yesterday - mind you, he was using a $49 tablet :) .

WindX here for me now, I'll be doing the deed at the weekend, running my SDR stuff and the likes to make sure it all works. There is a roll back for the 1st 30 days - good job I've got some holiday booked then!.

Haven't taken the plunge yet, frequent blue screen of death on windows 7 unsure if software or hardware based, haven't actually seen windows 10 in action yet, is it worth the upgrade?

Haven't taken the plunge yet, frequent blue screen of death on windows 7 unsure if software or hardware based, haven't actually seen windows 10 in action yet, is it worth the upgrade?

Hi,

You should find out why you're getting the BSOD, it could well be driver-related, not all driver updates are shipped via Windows updates. If the normal Windows downloads offer you Windows 10 (icon on toolbar) then you should be good to go. If in doubt wait a month or so for the first update which contains all patches currently being shipped. When you do install make sure you have a full backup of all your files.

Apart from anything else the security in Windows 10 is very good, better than Windows 7.

General feedback from technophobes is quite positive.

As a general rule, if you can get windows 7 or 8 drivers it will be fine. In all previous versions you have been able to force windows xp or vista drivers onto 7/8. If it will run 8, itll be minimal faff.

BSOD is most likely wrong driver or a faulty ram module.

Upgrading from windows 8 to 10 is a no brainer, it gets rid of the bit most people hate. Windows 7 to 10 you need to weigh up if you want to go for the new interface or not, Windows 7 is the modern day XP that will take a lot to tempt some people.

Having used Windows 10 pretty much since the technical preview was announced, I would suggest it is going to be the next XP/Windows 7.

I disagree. People already on 8.1 are the ones who shouldn't rush into it. My main desktop here is 8.1 and I'll move to 10 when I next need a refresh, but the Win7 machines (7 of them) around here are all in the process of being upgraded as I get to them.

8.1 gets a lot of legacy hate from people who despised the Metro interface. I didn't like it either, so I turned it off, and once you dispense with that, it's a better OS than 7. Sorry if you disagree, but there are plenty of metrics that support that view.