Aircraft Collision at Airport last night!

samster

Emergency Services turned out to Ronaldsway this evening after two light aircraft collided on the airfield.

There were no inuries but the aircraft involved sustained damage.

The IOM Fire Service issued this statement:

At approximately 17:25hrs on Friday 12th June 2015 appliances from Castletown, Port Erin and Douglas Stations were dispatched by the Emergency Joint Control Room following a report of an incident involving two small aircrafts that had collided on the runway at Ronaldsway Airport. This was a pre-determined attendance to give back up to the Airports own Fire and Rescue Service which had also been deployed.

On arrival crews identified that the aircraft were two small Cessna aircraft that had crossed each other’s path at low speed. Unfortunately one of the aircraft received damage to its wing caused by contact with the propeller of the other aircraft. Although there were no injuries caused to the pilots one wing of one of the Cessna’s was left a foot shorter. The Air Accident Investigation Branch was informed of all details and all appliances were stood down with no further assistance required.

Absolute bedlam at Ronaldsway today - high volumes of passengers, long queues at check-in and security, delayed flights, all exacerbated by a baggage conveyor belt failure! So, is that the new one in the new, shiny baggage handling hub without which we could never handle these high volumes?

And Costa has no sandwiches!

• Like 1

Absolute bedlam at Ronaldsway today - high volumes of passengers, long queues at check-in and security, delayed flights, all exacerbated by a baggage conveyor belt failure! So, is that the new one in the new, shiny baggage handling hub without which we could never handle these high volumes?

But they had to be geared up for 1.75 million passengers by this year ! whats gone wrong ?

• Like 2

Oh dear, another visit by the AAIB to the IoM!

Does anyone know whether the collision really did happen on one of the runways, or is it just being reported that way? A collision on one of the runways implies that one or both aircraft did not have clearance to be there, or that the clearance was erroneous. Runway incursions are extremely serious, for obvious reasons. What is more common is that a collision happens whilst aircraft are manauvering on apron or taxiway, and this happens around the world surprisingly often. Thankfully, this kind of incident usually happens at quite low speed and without injury.

Edited by guzzi
  • Like 2

No surprise with Ms Reynolds aboutbiggrin.png

• Like 1

Seems it was a minor mishap. Nothing to see here.

More importantly, I just had to endure flying from Reynoldsway Airfield again and it hasn't improved one bit. Started at the bag drop, where the lady had to more or less guess the weight of our bags as one luggage belt doesn't work and hence the scale never shows zero (I'm sure Stelios will be delighted about the lost profit in excess baggage charges this brings. No way easy jet can argue for me to pay more if the scales don't work correctly).

Then the security again. Who the hell designed the new screening area? Stevie Wonder? It's completely wrong and creates an instant bottleneck at the door. Amateur hour again and a complete design failure. Staff aren't much better. It used to be that they ask you to open your bag if they want to double check something. Not so on Heathrow on Sea, where Susi Sunshine searches through your bag with gusto until she finds the offending object. I am glad to report that my jar of chocolate spread will no longer pose a risk to air traffic, despite it not actually being liquid. No point arguing with clipboard soldiers though. Was the expensive stuff from Harrods and I noticed they put it aside instead of in the bin. I asked them to dispose it in front of me, which brought me some disapproving looks. Oh, and only one security line open on what must be one of the busiest mornings of the year.

All in all still sub par for the amount of cash being pumped into this place.

• Like 7

For a runway ground collision to have taken place at a small airport is simply unforgivable.

There can be no excuse.

but quite alright at big airports ?

suppose it happens all the time at Norfolk International :lol:

Silly!I Of course it wouldn't be alright at a large airport but for a such a small field it becomes unforgivable and raises the question of why did the person / people responsible for ground movements allow it to happen.

It must put in question if managing the ground movements of a pair of light aircraft has been found wanting then the competence of all of the control tower staff should be questioned.

Norwich International? Thankfully nothing due to incompetence of control tower staff. Baggage handling, now that's another matter!

More importantly, I just had to endure flying from Reynoldsway Airfield again and it hasn't improved one bit. Started at the bag drop, where the lady had to more or less guess the weight of our bags as one luggage belt doesn't work and hence the scale never shows zero (I'm sure Stelios will be delighted about the lost profit in excess baggage charges this brings. No way easy jet can argue for me to pay more if the scales don't work correctly).

Then the security again. Who the hell designed the new screening area? Stevie Wonder? It's completely wrong and creates an instant bottleneck at the door. Amateur hour again and a complete design failure. Staff aren't much better. It used to be that they ask you to open your bag if they want to double check something. Not so on Heathrow on Sea, where Susi Sunshine searches through your bag with gusto until she finds the offending object. I am glad to report that my jar of chocolate spread will no longer pose a risk to air traffic, despite it not actually being liquid. No point arguing with clipboard soldiers though. Was the expensive stuff from Harrods and I noticed they put it aside instead of in the bin. I asked them to dispose it in front of me, which brought me some disapproving looks. Oh, and only one security line open on what must be one of the busiest mornings of the year.

Just out of interest, did you bring the Harrods chocolate spread with you? I'd assume you would not be able to fly anywhere with that in your cabin baggage.

I don't think you can blame the IOM airport for that.

Just out of interest, did you bring the Harrods chocolate spread with you? I'd assume you would not be able to fly anywhere with that in your cabin baggage.

I don't think you can blame the IOM airport for that.

Yup. Brought it over the same way from London. It's a tiny jar. Not the huge Nutella type thing. At these temperatures it's no different to the multiple chocolate bars I'm carrying in the same bag. Total security bullshit, like most of security is nothing but job creating bullshit. Go fly out of Manila where we have a real terrorist threat and see how they handle things. It's very different I tell you that. Shows you which one is doing a real job and which ones are clipboard soldiers complying with checklists devised by overpaid management.

Apart from security, staff here were very friendly though, so something positive to it at least.

• Like 2

Spook

Unless the aircraft were being remotely controlled, they were being 'controlled' by a pilot in each who, even to meet medical requirements for a PPL, required a functioning set of eyes. This was nothing different to a couple of cars colliding which, on the face of it, was either due to poor look-out by one or both parties - or misjudgement of clearance (both physical and/or verbal).

Amadeus

Have to agree with your observations about the 'security' screening farce. The pathetically small queuing area to get into the scanner area is wholly inadequate. 2 weeks ago I joined the queue for 'security' at the snack bar counter. As for your choc spread, what more can you expect when the every lunatic on the planet has been given free rein to run all the asylums?