Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Gee Cee

Horse Trams

So is that it for the trams in their current location then? Yesterday was the last day of the 2015 season and the work is supposed to be starting in November isn't it?

So is that it for the trams in their current location then? Yesterday was the last day of the 2015 season and the work is supposed to be starting in November isn't it?

but don't say which November, there's years of objections, public inquiries etc before they get a pick and shovel into the prom :lol:

2020 I'd say !

IOM Today 28 January 2011 -

One of the reasons for the regeneration is that the road surface is uneven and badly cracked. A second is that the the sea wall could soon be breached by waves due to rising sea-levels.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/end-of-the-line-for-the-horse-trams-1-2981505

Is that why they want to move the horse trams onto the Walkway? So that they'll disappear into the breach?

Nearly 5 years later, the "soon to be breached" sea wall has not been strengthened, and does not seem to have been mentioned in the Promenade Regeneration Proposals.

Nearly 5 years later, the "soon to be breached" sea wall has not been strengthened, and does not seem to have been mentioned in the Promenade Regeneration Proposals.

If you are talking about down the Summerland end then they are fixing it at the moment it would seem.

Just been reading my steam engine magazine and it refers to the horse drawn trams at Victor Harbour in Goolwa, south west of Adelaide. Judging by the picture, the horses even have their names hanging from their necks similar to ours.

For some reason I thought that our trams were the only ones still working in the world.

Just been reading my steam engine magazine and it refers to the horse drawn trams at Victor Harbour in Goolwa, south west of Adelaide. Judging by the picture, the horses even have their names hanging from their necks similar to ours.

For some reason I thought that our trams were the only ones still working in the world.

I think ours are older.

Health and safety rules may be laxer in the Antipodes.

Local_Area_Horse_Drawn_Tram_Distance_Sho

The Victor Harbour Horse Tramway is very old (1894), and operates all year..... but..... it does not run on the road, only on a half mile or so of causeway.

Ours is the only original street tramway that still uses horse power.

Other than these two original operations, which are poles apart, there is nothing other than an occasional museum display.

I don't suppose a Mercedes Citigo could get past that one either!

Health and safety rules may be laxer in the Antipodes.

Local_Area_Horse_Drawn_Tram_Distance_Sho

To be fair, that horse looks fucked

They have them at Disney World/Land apparently. They intermingle with the millions of people who pass through without problems. I'm sure Disney have probably done a risk assessment?

The Disney horse trams are on tracks through something similar to the Promenade Walkway (but without dogs and bikes), but... they are only going at walking pace.

Look at this video, and imagine how things would be if the horses trotted, like ours do.