Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Gee Cee

Horse Trams

The horses have started one NOT to go Peel.

Edited by x-in-man
  • Like 1

So I sent an email to all of the Douglas councillors.

To all of you
I read with utter dismay at your pathetic decision to cancel the Horse Trams with immediate effect.
How many of you put that on your manifesto when you were looking for votes?
This is a shocking example of how out of their depth people behave when given power that they don't know how to handle. Everyone knows it costs a bit to run, the fact that you can't make it work shows how completely useless your whole organisation is.
Poor, very poor.
Yours in absolute disgust

Fully didn't expect a reply but got two. Firstly from Colin Cain, showing a wonderful command of the english language

Sorry to hear that you are so upset about the decision but if you are a Douglas ratepayer then you may feel different if you had to £5,000 a day for the next 30 years to cove what is required.

What a tremendous response, those of you in Derby Ward must be very proud to have such a capable man represent you.

And then I got a response from the leader. Yeah, the one I called a prick earlier, who now has my name and email address and who I'm going to call a prick again. Prick. His reply copied all of the councillors in so I guess now he has spoken I won't get any more replies.

I note your email regarding the Horse Tram Service, I can assure you this was a difficult decision for the Council to take. It is not a matter of how many had it in their manifesto, we have to make decisions based on update information.

Allowing for continued annual revenue loss and the capital cost of the development to house the horses and trams under one building, the rate burden for the next 30 years was in the region of £422.000 per year. At a time when more services are being transferred from Central to Local Government this was not sustainable.
I can assure you that over many years we have tried to find ways to reduce costs and promote the service, with a team of dedicated staff.
As I have said this decision was not taken lightly and had the support of all Members at the meeting.

Oh, sorry, I have had another reply. And this time it is actually an alright one, certainly the sentiment if not the language. From Mr Stephen Pitts

I certainly did not have it in my manifesto and I voted against the action last week at the Excutive meeting I am of island this week when the meeting was called I think the rate payers should have been given the choice to vote

Stephen Pitts
  • Like 4

They're a bunch of illiterate buffoons and they're the boss of us, how did that happen?

• Like 1

Allowing for continued annual revenue loss and the capital cost of the development to house the horses and trams under one building, the rate burden for the next 30 years was in the region of £422,000 per year.

The horses are clearly paid too much. It does always seem a lot of cash to run a couple of horses up and down the prom for 6 months of the year. And that's just the loss they make. There must be some income from the fares.

The horses all live in council houses, have motorhomes and gold plated pensions too.

• Like 4

The horses all live in council houses, have motorhomes and gold plated pensions too.

Watch 'Mark' the horse go straight into driving a bus or become a baggage handler. Jobs for the boys with no chance for the man on the street.

• Like 2

Watch 'Mark' the horse go straight into driving a bus or become a baggage handler. Jobs for the boys with no chance for the man on the street.

Judging by that bus driver spat, "Mark" will fit in well, size wise !

The Council

But can Mark keep quiet when people get drunk on a bus!

Neigh bother!

I'm not particularly a Horse Tram fan personally, but this is a further nail in the coffin of our tourism offer. Much as I can see Douglas Town Council's point of view, on costs, it would be interesting to see detailed accounts and to see what they have actually done to try and make the thing work?

With the new Promenade development, there must be a way of rationalising the tram service to a level where it at least breaks even? If this can't be achieved then we are truly living at a sad time in the island's history.

• Like 3

The Council

But can Mark keep quiet when people get drunk on a bus!

Neigh bother!

He would not need to. He will take all the " horse nappies" from the stables and issue them to the drunks on boarding.

Bugger me, suddenly Just John doesn't seem quite so thick after all.* There isn't one of them who can put a coherent sentence together.

*He does though.

I bet Longworth has already been on the phone to Mercedes to see if they make horses just in case Gov decide to pick up the costs and they come into his empire.

• Like 3