Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Gee Cee

Horse Trams

Fully didn't expect a reply but got two. Firstly from Colin Cain, showing a wonderful command of the english language

Sorry to hear that you are so upset about the decision but if you are a Douglas ratepayer then you may feel different if you had to £5,000 a day for the next 30 years to cove what is required.

What a tremendous response, those of you in Derby Ward must be very proud to have such a capable man represent you.

Let me see here. So £5,000 a day x 366 (2016 is a leap year) is £1,830,000 per annum.

And then I got a response from the leader. Yeah, the one I called a prick earlier, who now has my name and email address and who I'm going to call a prick again. Prick. His reply copied all of the councillors in so I guess now he has spoken I won't get any more replies.

I note your email regarding the Horse Tram Service, I can assure you this was a difficult decision for the Council to take. It is not a matter of how many had it in their manifesto, we have to make decisions based on update information.[/size]

Allowing for continued annual revenue loss and the capital cost of the development to house the horses and trams under one building, the rate burden for the next 30 years was in the region of £422.000 per year. At a time when more services are being transferred from Central to Local Government this was not sustainable.

I can assure you that over many years we have tried to find ways to reduce costs and promote the service, with a team of dedicated staff.

As I have said this decision was not taken lightly and had the support of all Members at the meeting.

But according to The Dear Leader it's only £1,153 a day giving a cost of £422,000 per annum.

Does anyone actually know the current cost? Because it's clear those voting on the issue don't seem to....

I think it's a loss to the island that the horse trams are to go. It means one less thing that the island has going for it, leaving very little now to set Douglas apart from any other run down seaside town.

They don't even cost a lot The actual cost of running the horse trams is about £250,000 per anum, and that's including costing for their share of IT, HR, etc. so the real cost is much less than that.

Councillor Christian has had his mind set on getting rid of them for a while, and this whole thing is really of his design. He was not willing to accept alternative funding strategies such as privatisation or sponsorship, but was dead set of getting shut of them.

• Like 1

As they are clearly a "National Asset" for want of a better term they should be funded by Central Government. End of.

• Like 4

I think it's a loss to the island that the horse trams are to go. It means one less thing that the island has going for it, leaving very little now to set Douglas apart from any other run down seaside town.

They don't even cost a lot The actual cost of running the horse trams is about £250,000 per anum, and that's including costing for their share of IT, HR, etc. so the real cost is much less than that.

Councillor Christian has had his mind set on getting rid of them for a while, and this whole thing is really of his design. He was not willing to accept alternative funding strategies such as privatisation or sponsorship, but was dead set of getting shut of them.

As they are clearly a "National Asset" for want of a better term they should be funded by Central Government. End of.

This is certainly what Douglas Council are angling for, why do we need so many local authorities anyway?

What angers me a bit about this is the almost total lack of democracy in the decision. We are talking about a national asset, something that sets us apart from other places, the kind of thing that is important in creating an identity and brand for tourists and for locals. Certainly Douglas rate payers have been burdened with paying for the trams, but they add value to the whole island.

Yet the decision to remove them was made by local councilors who scarcely anybody voted for.

There are 18 seats on Douglas council. In the last elections there were only 26 candidates for these 18 seats. 2 Wards were completely uncontested, so that 6 of these councilors were elected without any competition at all.

6594 votes were cast altogether in the last local authority election. There are about 26,000 people of voting age living in Douglas, according to the last census, so that means that about 28% of the town actually voted.

The percentage of the island's population who had any sort of say in this decision is therefore around 7%.

Local councils are demonstrably undemocratic. They are able to make decisions that concern the whole island without representation from the whole island.

We have lost a national asset without any sort of national discussion or input.

• Like 7

• Hows the work progressing re charging mhk's and civil servants for free parking in Douglas town centre
  • Anyone seen any facts/figures in how we are progressing in reducing the massive bloated central government dept costs/headcount?
  • Any news on addressing the massive burden on the tax payers due to the unsustainable public sector pension scheme ?
  • And on a similar note, anyone heard if John Houghton has started paying the pension contributions that he tried to avoid but got found out ?

Seems when it comes to perks and money in govt pockets there is all the time in the world, however when it comes to the Horse Trams, no consultation, no notice....binned.

Well if they are finished.....the govt must have a big old patch of long grass somewhere for the horses to graze on....any big reform/cost saving necessities that don't suit the govt get kicked into it.....!

Sure we can trust them to spend our toilet tax wisely though this year, when it DOUBLES........we really have some greedy selfish unscrupulous dishonest stupid people running this island....

Edited by sausage
  • Like 4

That's precisely my point in that post.

My ward wasn't even contested in the last elections!

Why does nobody want to vote? There is no proper participation on the part of electorate and candidates. Just apathy. Local authorities need scrapping, not the horse trams.

• Like 2

I agree with you, but you can't moan about not having a say when you refuse to vote. You do have a say, you can even stand for election if you want.

I'll tell you what, let's keep the ****ing horse trams.

We'll pay for it with cameras around the town centre and incorporate a congestion charge on motorists, five pound a pop to come into central Douglas. Buses & taxis exempt.

Multi storey on Summerland and you can ride away to your hearts content.

Jesus wept ....

Best decision Douglas Council has EVER made - FACT.

• Like 2

Had to see what Count Christian looked like - I thought it was Juan at first.

12509563_10208758197780065_7944431625887

I would like to see the breakdown of the costs of maintaining the horse trams including personnel costs. Is this available?

• Like 1

As per normal in these things, numerous costings floating around - £250k, £422k. The oft quoted figure was £500k per year. Presumably that includes staffing costs? It would want to......