Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Gee Cee

Horse Trams

It's 2016, the damn things should have been cut 30 years ago. I, for one, will enjoy my Manx Horse Tram Lasagne

Isn't it obvious what is going on?

Increasing costs forced onto local councils by central government (waste disposal etc)

DBC gets the hump.

DBC says it won't continue to pay for horse trams and they'll be "lost forever" to Nation.

Public outrage

Forces central government to take over paying for the things as a national asset.

Horse trams continue (moved from existing location to prom walkway)

If above is not what ends up happening, I will eat a Tesco's Value Lasagne...

• Like 2

I'm not particularly a Horse Tram fan personally, but this is a further nail in the coffin of our tourism offer. Much as I can see Douglas Town Council's point of view, on costs, it would be interesting to see detailed accounts and to see what they have actually done to try and make the thing work?

With the new Promenade development, there must be a way of rationalising the tram service to a level where it at least breaks even? If this can't be achieved then we are truly living at a sad time in the island's history.

Certainly MNH should be encouraged to have a look at the books to see if survival of the system is possible

Dork Christian MBE has declared tourism in Douglas utterly dead so I'm sure he'd have no problem with rates paid by hoteliers being used to subsidise the horse trams & excellent other tourism efforts in the town such as the camera obscura

Edited by Donald Trumps

Isn't it obvious what is going on?

Increasing costs forced onto local councils by central government (waste disposal etc)

DBC gets the hump.

DBC says it won't continue to pay for horse trams and they'll be "lost forever" to Nation.

Public outrage

Forces central government to take over paying for the things as a national asset.

Horse trams continue (moved from existing location to prom walkway)

If above is not what ends up happening, I will eat a Tesco's Value Lasagne...

Sadly you are right. I suspect that really it's just a ploy to get central government to take them over so that we will still be paying £500k a year for 10 old ladies to go up and down the prom on a tram but it will come from our taxes not from our rates. A better idea would be to just get rid of them as proposed.

As for Tescos value lasagne; well you might as well eat a tram horse.

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 1

With the trams gone, it'll ease the congestion along the prom for a short while, but will again become congested as the population grows and the roads being unable to withstand the growth dream.

Then someone will come along with an idea of making things one way, followed by bus only routes and as fuel becomes only available for the rich, the idea of trams will rise once again.

As far fetched as it seems for the moment, wouldn't it be a shocker if this turned out to be true! ohmy.png

Edited by manxy

Sounds fair to me. Douglas rate payers shouldn't be footing the bill.

Same for that fucking golf club.

• Like 2

More Douglas Councillors play golf than ride on horse trams.

The golf club obviously needs priority funding.

• Like 2

I'll tell you what, let's keep the ****ing horse trams.

We'll pay for it with cameras around the town centre and incorporate a congestion charge on motorists, five pound a pop to come into central Douglas. Buses & taxis exempt.

Multi storey on Summerland and you can ride away to your hearts content.

Jesus wept ....

Best decision Douglas Council has EVER made - FACT.

True - the only attraction they would have any chance of maintaining would be a "museum of failure". Now there's a place Christian and his cronies could fill acres and acres of space with. Come and see 25 years of civic failure packaged nicely into 3 floors of an empty office block.

• Like 1

I'll tell you what, let's keep the ****ing horse trams.

We'll pay for it with cameras around the town centre and incorporate a congestion charge on motorists, five pound a pop to come into central Douglas. Buses & taxis exempt.

Multi storey on Summerland and you can ride away to your hearts content.

Jesus wept ....

Best decision Douglas Council has EVER made - FACT.

" Best decision Douglas council has EVER made - FACT"

NO Ndp ,

an "OPINION" not a "FACT"

You are/ married to/ work for Douglas Corpy ( and told what to think perhaps) and I claim my £5

I take it you are a Douglas resident , hence the "We" in "We'll pay for it" , if so you do have a point , I think it is a national asset and should be run by central government.

It appears to me that the council is acting with indecent haste without any consultation to see what alternatives are available for the funding , makes you wonder if "they" have already got folk lined up to buy the associated premises and the rolling stock.

• Like 2

Getting these two threads mixed up. Alibaba posted a copy of his email exchange with the morons at the Council. May I just say, as a Douglas Resident and ratepayer, I will not be voting for any of those people in future, except the one who said he wanted ratepayers to have a say. Kiss your political careers goodbye, better get on down to the job centre and look for real work. Prrrrrrrrrrrrrrricks.

How much would the premises be worth?

What can be built in it's place?

Hard to imagine an egotistical building firm not having some interest in this already.