Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Gee Cee

Horse Trams

I hope this makes a few people think about what a joke Douglas Council is. Councilors nobody votes for making arbitrary decisions that affect us all.

Now they've got rid of one of the few things that made Douglas stand out from any other shithole seaside town, we can look forward to a decade of construction work to turn it into a granite desert.

Councilors nobody votes for making arbitrary decisions that affect us all.

I'm sure both horse tram passengers this year will be really annoyed.

• Like 1

I think Douglas has a lot going for it. The prom is particularly good. I will not miss the horse trams. Oh and get on with resurfacing the fucking road!!!! It hurts my poor car every day.

• Like 1

Personally I am not arsed if we have the teams or not, and if they were costing that much obviously something had to give.

However, plenty of people obviously are (although I bet most never used them)

Did they look into any alternatives to make up the shortfall?

Are there really no local businesses that would stump up to sponsor a tram for a fee each year - this generating income?

Plenty of people run profitable commercial stables. If you have the facilities, staff etc anyway is there really no scope at all for generating incoming from other people's horses, this generating income?

Has the strathallan building really got no potential to bring in more revenue? Kids party in there after a trip along the prom, wedding receptions, christenings, corporate hire?

Did anyone approach a few of the bars also got the prom to see if there was scope of a evening for a trip along the prom stopping at a couple for drinks, food etc.

Not saying they are all viable but for 30 seconds though I wonder what they have done or considered before just dropping what it would appear some people do actually care about?

• Like 3

Councilors nobody votes for making arbitrary decisions that affect us all.

I'm sure both horse tram passengers this year will be really annoyed.

Yes, apparently our horse tram passengers, octogenarian Mr and Mrs Smith from Wigan, are both well pissed off.

I have just had a look at the petition, and it is interesting that there is a significant number of non Island residents signing it.

Not just from the UK - worldwide

I have just had a look at the petition, and it is interesting that there is a significant number of non Island residents signing it.

They aren't paying for them though are they? And I bet half of them haven't holidayed in the IOM since 1975 but still expect us to run them at a loss for another 100 years just in case they ever decide to come back.

• Like 4

No they aren't, but I think it shows how those that do not reside here value what we have.

I said it on a thread a while ago, that when I had a client over in the summer, I took him to see a number of the touristy things. Amongst them, the horse trams and he was so interested and genuinely enthralled with everything he seen.

Yes I agree, he is not paying for them, but he pays my wages, and through his business with me he indirectly supports a number of other industries

There is much more to the trams than what they cost to run. The bigger picture really needs to be taken into consideration

• Like 1

You may be right OMF but I know of a good few of my family and friends who visit on an annual basis and they and particularly the kids look forward to a trip on the horse trams,the MER, mountain railway and the steam train.

Just sayingflowers.gif

They aren't paying for them though are they? And I bet half of them haven't holidayed in the IOM since 1975 but still expect us to run them at a loss for another 100 years just in case they ever decide to come back.

There is much more to the trams than what they cost to run. The bigger picture really needs to be taken into consideration

If that's true, and I am not convinced, then they are a national benefit and not something to be subsidised by Douglas rate payers

• Like 1

If that's true, and I am not convinced, then they are a national benefit and not something to be subsidised by Douglas rate payers

I have to say, I would agree with you on this. They really should be under MNH or Government, for a number of reasons, one being so that a national asset can't be discarded by a few unelected idiots.

• Like 3

How much would the premises be worth?

What can be built in it's place?

Hard to imagine an egotistical building firm not having some interest in this already.

"The Stables". An opulent beach front development of luxury apartments built in a historical landmark for the true property connoisseur. Krappy Konstructions has created these luxuriously appointed and deceptively spacious apartments using the finest immigrant labour including our own part P electrically certified painter/plumbers to ensure swift completion while fulfilling all certification obligations to their minimum. The properties will have a full time property manager present who will be available 24/7 for all repairs despite being paid a minimal 40 hour week on absolute minimum wages. But he won't complain because we imported him from a third world country so it'll be like heaven to him really.

Fantastic sea views which will frequently present themselves forcefully against your windows with the aroma of rotting seaweed driving home the wondrous coastal location of your investment. Or perhaps you want to benefit from the micro-cube slot in multi-apartment option to allow you to rent out barely liveable spaces at high prices to the indigenous Manx people who might not be able to afford the mere £999,999.99 that these exquisite apartments are being made available for.

We do recommend immediate viewing of the mocked up house-in-a-portacabin as very few of these as yet unbuilt holes are still available due to high theoretical demand.

• Like 4

I think removing the horse trams is disappointing. It's a part of the islands image just like the piers and attractions of places like Blackpool. Instead of shutting down existing features they should perhaps be developing new ways to attract business to the island. Douglas promenade has just taken another step closer to becoming an unrecoverable housing estate.

• Like 2

As someone from "across" who enjoys riding the horse trams and who fortunately just managed to get in a last trip before the end of the 2015 season I thought I would express my thoughts.

FIrstly I can understand how the council feels - the trams lose a lot of money - just as here on Merseyside where Mersey Ferries are in a similar situation, even more of a financial basket case than the horse trams in cash terms.

One has to ask oneself is it fare that rate/council tax payers have to foot the bill?

Personally I think not - and understand why the decision was made, however, I am rather disappointed it was made so suddenly.

It might have been better for the council to have run them for a final year and have a grand "last tram" festival as was common in the UK when UK networks were run down in the 1950s and 60s.

People from around the British Isles and further afield could have come and paid their respects and enjoyed a last trip.

Being a "last year" might have even generated cash. When many British railway branch lines were closed it is well documented in the railway press that passenger carryings shot up in the final weeks as people took a last trip.

It would also have provided a season in which alternatives could have been explored.

However, perhaps the situation could be rescued by extending the Manx Electric along the Prom and North Quay to around Clinch's near the station.

Loosing the Horse Trams for a much improved and extended Electric Railway which connected with the Steam Railway would be some compensation.

Combine this with a couple of modern one person operated cars a useful all year round commuter service could operate between at Laxey and Douglas.

Just a few thoughts to throw into the pot.

John

Edited by ISS
  • Like 3