Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Gee Cee

Horse Trams

I just wonder if these faceless wonders asked or told the staff before they went running to the press with their scoop shouting "look what we did !"

• Like 3

As someone from "across" who enjoys riding the horse trams and who fortunately just managed to get in a last trip before the end of the 2015 season I thought I would express my thoughts.

FIrstly I can understand how the council feels - the trams lose a lot of money - just as here on Merseyside where Mersey Ferries are in a similar situation, even more of a financial basket case than the horse trams in cash terms.

One has to ask oneself is it fare that rate/council tax payers have to foot the bill?

Personally I think not - and understand why the decision was made, however, I am rather disappointed it was made so suddenly.

It might have been better for the council to have run them for a final year and have a grand "last tram" festival as was common in the UK when UK networks were run down in the 1950s and 60s.

People from around the British Isles and further afield could have come and paid their respects and enjoyed a last trip.

Being a "last year" might have even generated cash. When many British railway branch lines were closed it is well documented in the railway press that passenger carryings shot up in the final weeks as people took a last trip.

It would also have provided a season in which alternatives could have been explored.

However, perhaps the situation could be rescued by extending the Manx Electric along the Prom and North Quay to around Clinch's near the station.

Loosing the Horse Trams for a much improved and extended Electric Railway which connected with the Steam Railway would be some compensation.

Combine this with a couple of modern one person operated cars a useful all year round commuter service could operate between at Laxey and Douglas.

Just a few thoughts to throw into the pot.

John

TSk John you wouldn't go far in politics on this island , they don't do common sense.

The words "brains of a rocking horse" spring to mind , if you support the "cock up" theory over the "conspiracy"theory whistling.gif .

It's not that sudden a decision. They asked the government a couple of months ago if they would do it and they were told to fuck off.

I'm surprised they made this decision, but I'm not sad to see them go. I'm not completely happy about them using animals for entertainment, and it's costing us a fortune. Plus if there are no horse trams they won be shoved onto the walkway.

• Like 2

Remember the centenary in '76? It was a lovely sunny day - probably one of the last summers before the holiday makers stopped coming and people started accidentally burning down their hotels. The trams were really boring but it was a fun day and we all got a specially minted crown. Or maybe it was a stamp. I can't remember. I've got some photos somewhere with everyone in their flares and denim jackets. There was a double decker tram that day too.

Edited by pongo
  • Like 1

Remember the centenary in '76? It was a lovely sunny day - probably one of the last summers before the holiday makers stopped coming and people started accidentally burning down their hotels. The trams were really boring but it was a fun day and we all got a specially minted crown. Or maybe it was a stamp. I can't remember. I've got some photos somewhere with everyone in their flares and denim jackets. There was a double decker tram that day too.

Before my time, sorry!

they should spend a few hundred grand doing the golf course and clubhouse up. I for one would travel up from the north to play on it, as long as they keep the subsidised price of course.

You'll need to once Ramsey closes which will be sooner rather than later.

There is much more to the trams than what they cost to run. The bigger picture really needs to be taken into consideration

If that's true, and I am not convinced, then they are a national benefit and not something to be subsidised by Douglas rate payers

I have to say, I would agree with you on this. They really should be under MNH or Government, for a number of reasons, one being so that a national asset can't be discarded by a few unelected idiots.

To be fair to the council it is their job to act in the best interest of my rate payment. And the right decision is to get rid. I too think the horse trams should exist but like the villa marina at the tax payers cost.

• Like 1

Full moon wine post...

I absolutely hate the lot of them, fucking idiots! In the 70's my granddad helped save the trams for the council because it was one of the few things they had left, no other reason. In the olden days they sorted the water, the roads, the bins, the beach, the trams, the gas and light with 1/4 of the men and 1/500 of the money - seriously, WTFF??

Douglas rate payers need to ask why things are such a mess when there is more of them, more staff and less responsibilities, don't you think?

• Like 7

I just had another thought. Pokerstars runs it. They did the mobile library. And the more services that Pokerstars controls, the more sway they have over Government policy on gambling laws.

How much would the premises be worth?

What can be built in it's place?

Hard to imagine an egotistical building firm not having some interest in this already.

"The Stables". An opulent beach front development of luxury apartments built in a historical landmark for the true property connoisseur. Krappy Konstructions has created these luxuriously appointed and deceptively spacious apartments using the finest immigrant labour including our own part P electrically certified painter/plumbers to ensure swift completion while fulfilling all certification obligations to their minimum. The properties will have a full time property manager present who will be available 24/7 for all repairs despite being paid a minimal 40 hour week on absolute minimum wages. But he won't complain because we imported him from a third world country so it'll be like heaven to him really.

Fantastic sea views which will frequently present themselves forcefully against your windows with the aroma of rotting seaweed driving home the wondrous coastal location of your investment. Or perhaps you want to benefit from the micro-cube slot in multi-apartment option to allow you to rent out barely liveable spaces at high prices to the indigenous Manx people who might not be able to afford the mere £999,999.99 that these exquisite apartments are being made available for.

We do recommend immediate viewing of the mocked up house-in-a-portacabin as very few of these as yet unbuilt holes are still available due to high theoretical demand.

Interpreting it rightly or wrongly Clive, you say that apartments could be built, but the smell might be a negative factor although this does not seem to have discouraged others either side of it as property is still selling.

I see it as a big piece of land and to someone, has the potential to make a big profit dependent on what they do with it.

12605303_10208760742723687_7671323933285

and the library and the busses ....

Pulrose power station was built and operated by Douglas Corpy,later merged with the out of town lot(whatever they were called?) and renamed as MEA.

• Like 1

I see it as a big piece of land and to someone, has the potential to make a big profit dependent on what they do with it.

12605303_10208760742723687_7671323933285

Once that land has been sold for housing it's gone for good. Douglas will never get it back for an alternative use. Like other parts of the island where a greedy lack of foresight has resulted in areas designed to attract visitors being turned into coastal morgues for the near-dead.