Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Gee Cee

Horse Trams

lol BC, as one of the "near dead" I agree with your assessment, however it may just mean that the the sites may be bought and form part of the "land bank" of a property company.

Would I buy/choose to live in one of those " luxury apartments " on the prom ? .... "you're 'aving a larf" flowers.gif

• Like 1

maybe they can tow the trams behind the steam trains in the summer??

aren't they towing the diesel engine behind the steam train already?flowers.gif

• Like 1

Would I buy/choose to live in one of those " luxury apartments " on the prom ? .... "you're 'aving a larf" flowers.gif

There are "apartment developments" on the prom with apartments that have never sold since completion. How many more can the property market sustain? Surely DHSS can't rent them all?

• Like 1

We are now being told that the Council will try and redeploy the staff who are affected by the loss of the horse trams.

Whilst this may be a commendable move on the part of the council, it will certainly eat into the savings that they say they are trying to make.

We are also being told that central government will not help save these trams. Yet the government never cease to amaze members of this forum with the ease that they can find money for vanity projects.

We (the island as a whole). and the residents of Douglas do seem to have elected a complete bunch of idiots to run things on our behalf.

So I guess at the end of the day it is all our fault!

• Like 1

We are now being told that the Council will try and redeploy the staff who are affected by the loss of the horse trams.

I would imagine that the skills of anyone who has been employed to shovel horse shit for the last 30 would be in great demand at the Town Hall.

• Like 4

Whilst this may be a commendable move on the part of the council, it will certainly eat into the savings that they say they are trying to make.

We are also being told that central government will not help save these trams. Yet the government never cease to amaze members of this forum with the ease that they can find money for vanity projects.

We (the island as a whole). and the residents of Douglas do seem to have elected a complete bunch of idiots to run things on our behalf.

So I guess at the end of the day it is all our fault!

So we end up with a lot of the same expenditure for no added value or trams.

Jobs for the boys. If the jobs gone...sorry, but so should you be. And, if it is a new role, the opportunity should be open to everyone to apply.

What'll the Corpy gardeners do for manure now?

They'll just use some of the bullshit that comes out of the town hall.

Also in related cost cutting I assume they'll be cutting the 75 grand (before replacement chains) that they spend on mayoral services each year.

What'll the Corpy gardeners do for manure now?

Tynwald will continue to generate more than adequate quantities....

• Like 3

Certainly Treasury watchers have never seen so much shit emanating from one department

Get rid of the Horse trams, hmmm????. We should be so lucky!

Get rid of the Horse trams, hmmm????. We should be so lucky!

Na, keep the trams and get rid of the f@&@&@& clowns!!

I can see as to why the Council wish to pull the plug on the trams, but what strategies have they implemented to make the trams successful?

Reading the Isle of Discovery booklet, these are 'the worlds oldest surviving horse trams that date back to 1876 and with many original cars still in use, and apart from a hiatus during WW2, has operated almost continually'.

I can understand the problems that rate payers would complain about as also the flow of traffic trying to get past, but I do not think Douglas Council have been playing fair in all of this and are unable to think up other ways of making them profitable and rather than trying, they cut their losses.

I have to say that I do not believe that any operators of the trams should be paid by the tax payer as this is the main cost factor and some other way of operating cover would be required.

Questions

1/ When did the horse trams become unprofitable and why? (If you don't know for absolute certainty, then don't bother answering. I can guess too, but is it factual?)

2/ In the last 50 years, what profits or losses have been made and was there a reason why?

3/ What efforts have been done to make these profitable and how?

4/ Would other private companies be interested in either running the operation or making a donation?

5/ Would farmers or horse owners be able to assist?

6/ Would making the trams into a charity be helpful?

7/ Can people throughout the world make a donation towards the upkeep or assist with running costs?

I'm sure that there's other questions that could be asked, but here's seven for now and if these can be answered by people who have the factual answers and not done by guesswork or by silly answers, then let's see what this is able to produce.

• Like 3

I would think the downfall might perhaps be attributed to the fact that somebody, a very long time ago, invented something called the motor car.

• Like 2