Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Gee Cee

Horse Trams

Idiot. As if it's only Douglas that are actually paying for it. If you believe that,you're just the type civil servants love

How do you mean?

Notwell - I have no issue with funding coming from central government. However Douglas rate payers will not see any savings themselves as the money will be spent elsewhere on salaries or some useless project.

Already stated. They're going to spend any "savings" on Strathallan or such. Quote, David Christian.

Idiot. As if it's only Douglas that are actually paying for it. If you believe that,you're just the type civil servants love

Do you know what you are talking about? Even a little bit?

Call it willful ignorance (which it probably is)

But are these really a tourist draw?

I went on them once as a child and that's it.

30 years later still not been on since

Just don't see the attraction

I get the uniqueness

But is it worth keeping just because it happens to be old

Edited by Jam_Sandwich

Jam_Sandwich - If you look at the Horse Tramway in isolation then apart from being unique in the world you are right that they do not have enough of an attraction to attract tourists. What you have to consider is that they cannot really be viewed in isolation as they form part of the heritage railways on the Island.

These as a package do have a tourist draw as is proven with the rail tours that have been successful enough for a commercial operator to continue running. It is a niche market but the fact that groups can be attracted is a benefit to the overall economy in general. If the people visiting have a positive experience then they may well recommend the Island to other visitors who may not be specifically attracted by Heritage Railways but who would enjoy the other attractions offered by the Isle of Man such as the coastline, countryside and other historical items of note.

I have lived in the UK and in my experience it is rare for a place to be able to offer so much in such a small area. The more that is chipped away the less attractive the Island becomes to tourists.

What will be left in Douglas to make it any different from any other small seaside town if we continue to dispose of our heritage? Who is going to come here for the Strand Street shopping experience? We are rapidly being left reliant on the finance sector and e-gaming and the last few years have hardly been glorious for the finance sector.

• Like 1

Stick em out.jurby prisoners could tend to horses and they could lap the airport and terminate by the transport museums.

That is a great idea. I went on about making Jurby some kind of Disneyesque place 4,000 posts ago :) Great minds J2bad, great minds.

...is it worth keeping just because it happens to be old

If it doesn't pays its way, drops poop everywhere, and few people have much use for it anymore then surely not.

It's what we told Gran when they dragged her off to the nursing home last week. Crikey...old people can't half cling to a doorway.

• Like 3

The IOM is not a tax haven. Our esteemed leader had decreed it thus.

I know, I know! Shame that a lot of the rest of the world disagree with him and are positively trying to make sure the Isle of Man becomes far less attractive to those looking to pay low taxes.

What are we going to do when the finance sector runs out of steam? (or for that matter electric or horses). We will have very few other sectors to keep the economy going.

Yawn.

This isn't rocket science.

Douglas Council are spot on. It's not their job to burden their rate payers with this facility.

People have been saying douglas rates shouldnt be paying for them for years. Shame it took decades for the slow twats to catch up.

• Like 1

As a Douglas rate payer I think the horse trams should be paid by central government. I am aware this means I would still be paying but at least people in Onchan, Laxey, Ramsey, Peel, Castletown will all be paying too. Just as they already do with the Manx Museum which is in Douglas.

Side topic but don't see why I'm paying for a golf club that I'm not a member of. Any idea how that happened????

In fact I didn't even know I was paying for the golf club until reading it on here. Can anyone give more details about this so I can raise my concern about it when they come knocking on my door come election time..........

• Like 2

The Douglas Horse Tramway is still on the Visit Isle of Man website, however, if you follow all the links you can get to this announcement. Which includes the following statement;

"The decision follows a proposal by the Council to amalgamate the Tramway Terrace stables site with the tramway hub at the Strathallen site, a scheme estimated, as of December 2015, to cost in the region of £2.9 million. When this was received at a joint meeting of the Executive and Regeneration and Community Committees in December, Members determined the scheme was not financially viable and presented a number of unresolved issues, and therefore decided not to progress the project.

The proposal was to finance the scheme by a thirty year loan, which would have cost the Council £4,800,000 over its life"

This suggests that they were considering a significant investment (presumably to reduce the cost of the operation but it does not say that) as recently as December and having decided that this scheme was not viable defaulted to a decision to scrap the Horse Tramway.

Instead they are now going to sell the sites presumably to private developers, donate the tram stock to museums and rehouse the horses.

I believe that this decision is wrong and whilst I understand the arguments about putting money into essential services I think we risk undermining our heritage and what remains of our tourist industry. The Horse Tramway should form part of the islands offer and it will undoubtedly form part of the rail tour packages that appear to be a success. That contributes back into the overall economy so much like the TT we may have to operate them at a loss (when looked at as a stand alone entity) but should consider the overall contribution to the Islands tourism offer. The more unique we are the better chance we have of attracting visitors.

Make the Isle of Man like a county of the UK and we are reliant on e-gaming, offshore finance and... erm... I think that would be it. Spending does need to be cut but it can be made elsewhere to non-essential services that do not effect other areas of the economy.

Why should Douglas rate payers pay for it?

I agree it should be kept. But at your ( and the tax payers ) expense.

They probably shouldn't as it's quite clear the corpy can't manage them properly

Should gift everything to whoever takes them over but continue to assume existing pension liabilities

In fact I didn't even know I was paying for the golf club until reading it on here. Can anyone give more details about this so I can raise my concern about it when they come knocking on my door come election time..........

They certainly won't be arsed knocking on your door .......... Unless you live in social housing or are over the age of 65.

• Like 1

Ask them how much it costs to run the crematorium which is also an 'all island facility'.

• Like 1

I'm relishing the prospect of a knock on my door.

It won't happen though

Quirkio is making cold calling an offence punishable by imprisonment or a £10k fine

Sadly I anticipate he'll have arranged the wording so it doesn't apply to twats like him

Edited by Donald Trumps