Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Gee Cee

Horse Trams

While wishing that Dlas ratepayers should be rid of the loss making ventures to the rest of the island, consider, should Dlas also offer rate free use of sites such as NSC, Museum, Bus and Rail stations, Govt offices et al? Might only be fair?

Can we presume that with income of £165k on the golf course, DCorp are running the clubhouse and facilities their selves? I don't think they would get 165k from rent and member subs. Perhaps rent is a percentage of turnover of a private rental?

If 165k is the turnover of a pub, restaurant and function centre, that's rather low? Is it not?

they should make the horse trams free for under 8s as long as they are accompanied by an adult

(a bit like the wizard idea of all the kids concerts with hundreds of kids in the cast, guaranteed to have hundreds of parents & grandparents paying to go to watch)

Edited by Tempus Fugit
  • Like 1

Can we presume that with income of £165k on the golf course, DCorp are running the clubhouse and facilities their selves? I don't think they would get 165k from rent and member subs. Perhaps rent is a percentage of turnover of a private rental?

If 165k is the turnover of a pub, restaurant and function centre, that's rather low? Is it not?

I'm not sure how Douglas are doing their accounts, but the income may include the £32,000 rental for the Clubhouse etc. But it won't include anything else from the turnover of the Clubhouse because the golf professional takes all that. He also gets paid £30,000 a year to manage the Club (which presumably is included in the costs). I'm not sure what the deal would be about what he pays in terms of maintenance of the clubhouse etc and what the Council does.

The remaining £133K presumably comes from green fees, which assuming they have a couple of hundred members plus casual visitors, seems reasonable enough.

Actually heard a comment today of "I've lived here x amount of years and have never used them". What a fucking retarded excuse of an argument against trams. I'd suggest people like this piss off back to the shit holes they come from

Roger M. '' The remaining £133K presumably comes from green fees, which assuming they have a couple of hundred members plus casual visitors, seems reasonable enough. ''

That does seem feasible, the golf pro seems to lose 2k on the fee/rent arrangement so derives his income from operating the clubhouse facilities. Not a bad deal?

Actually heard a comment today of "I've lived here x amount of years and have never used them". What a fucking retarded excuse of an argument against trams. I'd suggest people like this piss off back to the shit holes they come from

That's no way to talk about Douglas.

• Like 4

In fact I didn't even know I was paying for the golf club until reading it on here. Can anyone give more details about this so I can raise my concern about it when they come knocking on my door come election time..........

Ask them how much it costs to run the crematorium which is also an 'all island facility'.

how about doing some research before jumping to preconceived conclusions laugh.png

Crematorium cost £299k

income (£385k)

net profit(£86k) biggrin.png

That's why the IOM government should take it over.

In fact I didn't even know I was paying for the golf club until reading it on here. Can anyone give more details about this so I can raise my concern about it when they come knocking on my door come election time..........

Ask them how much it costs to run the crematorium which is also an 'all island facility'.

how about doing some research before jumping to preconceived conclusions laugh.png

Crematorium cost £299k

income (£385k)

If they left it as it is, then they'd make a profit but they'd probably make a couple of new suit positions on £80k each to oversee it.

Don't they make enough out of death and misery with the TT?

OOOh, sorry, wrong threaddevil.gif .

So why are the Golf Courses not being closed down if they are also unprofitable? They are hardly an essential service are they? I am sure the land could be sold and then a private investor could build some shiny new houses.

That is of course tongue in cheek but why prioritise the closure of, what should be, a national asset and yet keep running a Golf Club which probably adds nothing at all to the wider economy?

GOOD QUESTION. Will IOM Newspapers send one of their "journalists" out of the office door for once in their lives to find out??????

No. Because the "journalists" in question wouldn't be able to find (i) the horse trams (ii) Douglas Golf Club (iii) their arse (iv) their elbow.

• Like 1

Crematorium cost £299k

income (£385k)

why let the government have when it makes the the Corpy £86,000 profit ?

The Crem is a National asset, to be sure, but for some reason it doesn't feature very highly in the list of tourist attractions.

Somehow, I don't think the Golf Course features very highly on that list, either.....

....but at least the Crem serves a purpose wink.png

The Crem is a National asset, to be sure, but for some reason it doesn't feature very highly in the list of tourist attractions.

Somehow, I don't think the Golf Course features very highly on that list, either.....

....but at least the Crem serves a purpose wink.png

Just a thought but....

How about we do away with the Crem and hold Viking style funerals instead for those who wish to be cremated. That way we combine a required service with something that could become a tourist attraction. Win win I think! w00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif

Edited by manxman1980
  • Like 1

Ah, the smell of roast pork and the spattering of fat in the fire.....sure fire winner!