Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man

Hi all,

After the last UPS I got off here has now gone bang, I'm on the hunt for another before I try finding one across, does anyone have one?

Thanks

Is there something we should know? From your posts it gives the impression you're building some Frankenstein super-computer.

I think that unless you can get a UPS that is of known history then it's probably better to buy a new one. The small ones that keep your system running for long enough to shut everything down are not expensive, and you get a fresh battery that will give a decent lifespan. Or are you looking for something that can keep the show on the road for prolonged periods during power outages?

Old UPS units or ones that have been in storage for too long may have sulphated batteries in them that will not give anywhere near the rated load and duration of backup power.

Hi all,

After the last UPS I got off here has now gone bang, I'm on the hunt for another before I try finding one across, does anyone have one?

Thanks

Is there something we should know? From your posts it gives the impression you're building some Frankenstein super-computer.

I think that unless you can get a UPS that is of known history then it's probably better to buy a new one. The small ones that keep your system running for long enough to shut everything down are not expensive, and you get a fresh battery that will give a decent lifespan. Or are you looking for something that can keep the show on the road for prolonged periods during power outages?

Old UPS units or ones that have been in storage for too long may have sulphated batteries in them that will not give anywhere near the rated load and duration of backup power.

The UPS I do have went bang and now just throws a hissy fit, it seems as though one of the batteries in it has failed, but I've misplaced my multimeter so can't check easily.

I was hoping I could maybe even find the correct unit sans battery and add my own/buy some more online. It only needs to run a small server, FritzBox and switch. Nothing sinister, just the server is a file server that also handles DHCP etc. and a UPS could keep the Fritzbox running for a reasonable amount of time.