Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Gee Cee

Cost of Road Accidents

'competitors' climbing Mt Everest.

Has the risk from climbing this mountain stayed at the same level over the last 30-40 years, whereas climing other mountains has got safer?

I have oft made the point that it is immoral for the government to promote and sponsor an event which will almost certainly result in the death of a competitor, and will also almost certainly result in the deaths of several visitors to the event.

This current post highlights the cost of these fatalities. Let there me no doubt, the bill will be picked up by the Isle of Man government. I.e. you and me!

There were five deaths this year. One was a competitor, and presumably his death was cheaper, as there would not have been a police investigation. On the other hand we had a helicopter crash, which probably cost a little more. If we assume that the total for these two is the same as that of two ordinary deaths, then the total cost was about £10,000,000! With a population of 87,000, that works out at £114 each.

Every person living on the Isle of Man paid £114 to clear up the dead bodies after the TT races.

Now, in all honesty, how many of you think that your £114 was well spent?

Is there not something else that you would rather have seen the government do with your £114?

Let there me no doubt, the bill will be picked up by the Isle of Man government. I.e. you and me!

Have you got any evidence for that claim?

Not to mention that the costs would be overshadowed by the money the TT brings in, of course.

Edited by HeliX

pretty happy they spent my £114 clearing them up, they'd be getting mighty ripe by now if they hadn't

• Like 3

Someone had to refer to the money that the TT brings in. Today it was Helix.

The Isle of Man government is desperate for good news. If the TT really made money, they would be shouting from the roof tops - "look at us, look at how much money we made".

As they are clearly unable to say that, presumably because the TT costs an absolute fortune, they have to fall back on the old story that the TT brings in money.

Well if you introduce a lot of visitors to the Island, they are clearly going to spend some money. But what good is that doing the ordinary Islanders? The money is not going to the Government. If it were they would be on the rooftops shouting. No, the money is going to a small number of businesses.

There is no benefit whatsoever to the average Islander. We simply get stung by the taxman to pay for it all.

GringoQ makes a valid point. But I would prefer that the dead bodies were not there in the first place.

Every person living on the Isle of Man paid £114 to clear up the dead bodies after the TT races.

What makes you think that?

We might have paid for the one competitor that died, we might paid for overtime for the police officers but the have the rest would've been covered by insurance companies in the relevant countries.

How many people die in accidents outside the TT period? I've no doubt there has probably been 4 killed within another 2 week period.

I'm really not comfortable talking about people who've died so recently, its pretty ghastly to see these people as just numbers and cost figures.

• Like 1

The Isle of Man government is desperate for good news. If the TT really made money, they would be shouting from the roof tops - "look at us, look at how much money we made".

Like this? http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/isle-of-man-tt-boosts-manx-economy-by-163-19m-report-1-1747869

You can't simply keep making claims in all your posts without backing any of them up.

What makes you think that?

We might have paid for the one competitor that died, we might paid for overtime for the police officers but the have the rest would've been covered by insurance companies in the relevant countries.

How many people die in accidents outside the TT period? I've no doubt there has probably been 4 killed within another 2 week period.

I'm really not comfortable talking about people who've died so recently, its pretty ghastly to see these people as just numbers and cost figures.

Unfortunately the anti-TT crowd seeing people's deaths as a point scoring exercise is nothing new.

• Like 2

Like this? http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/isle-of-man-tt-boosts-manx-economy-by-163-19m-report-1-1747869

You can't simply keep making claims in all your posts without backing any of them up.

You mean like your comment:

"Not to mention that the costs would be overshadowed by the money the TT brings in, of course."

Edited by rmanx

Unfortunately the anti-TT crowd seeing people's deaths as a point scoring exercise is nothing new.

Ignoring the deaths is not much better either.

Edited by rmanx

Well that story makes my point Helix. The money is going into the Manx economy, whatever that is.

I suggest that instead of just reading the headline of that story, you read some of the comments. There are a great many people who are just as sceptical as I am.

The headline is nothing more than spin.

You mean like your comment:

"Not to mention that the costs would be overshadowed by the money the TT brings in, of course."

Nice of you to quote the post where I back it up there.

Ignoring the deaths is not much better either.

Who said those are the only two options?

Well that story makes my point Helix. The money is going into the Manx economy, whatever that is.

I suggest that instead of just reading the headline of that story, you read some of the comments. There are a great many people who are just as sceptical as I am.

The headline is nothing more than spin.

Where do you think money goes when it's given to a Manx company staffed by Manx people?

The open issue is what portion of the gross cost of a death or injury is picked up by the Island treasury via the Island NHS and what residual cost has to picked up by the country that the injured victim returns to or in which his survivors live and have to be then supported.

And it's not just the competitors, it's the head-the-balls who come over to watch and try to emulate the competitors.

It really is a case of the Island creaming off any profits, though those profits probably go into only a few pockets, while other countries, notably the UK, have to pay for the fallout.

One way or another the road racing, especially the TT, has a stench about it other than Castrol R and spilt blood and guts.

Edited by spook