5* hygiene ratings system

was reading a local uk paper which listed 25 establishments in the area that had got a zero rating. (One of these places was a costa right smack in the middle of the city!) This made me think would it not be a good idea to implement this system here? Not entirely sure how it works, but think it's a great idea

was reading a local uk paper which listed 25 establishments in the area that had got a zero rating. (One of these places was a costa right smack in the middle of the city!) This made me think would it not be a good idea to implement this system here? Not entirely sure how it works, but think it's a great idea

Zero rating as given by who? Health inspection? Food reviewer? Bloke down the pub?

How often do health and hygiene actually inspect these places on the IOM?

Dunno but way back as an EHO in London all food premises in the borough were visited , and assessed as to potential "risk" and inspections carried out at least once a year ( where the premises were well run and the staff attended the (then) recommended training) .

All inspections were unannounced .

I would have thought that the information would be freely available

In my time they had not decided to "put the scores on the doors" but it's not a bad idea, better than in the old days when it was said "if the toilets are clean it's a good indication that the kitchen may be " and if in doubt and there's no alternative go for a fry up , if it's been in hot fat the live bacteria will be cooked"

Don't encourage them. Even more bleedin' bureaucracy. I'll take my chances and vote with my feet when I don't like something. How have we survived for thousands of years without this piffle?

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/filthy-dalston-vietnamese-restaurant-shut-after-inspectors-find-rotting-rat-carcas-9303840.html

Yeah, who needs health inspectors...

Don't encourage them. Even more bleedin' bureaucracy. I'll take my chances and vote with my feet when I don't like something. How have we survived for thousands of years without this piffle?

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/filthy-dalston-vietnamese-restaurant-shut-after-inspectors-find-rotting-rat-carcas-9303840.html

Lol rmanx, Dalston was part of my "district"when I was an EHO in the late sixties ....... some things don't changebiggrin.png . It was a bit rougher back then ( Dalston , dubbed the murder capital of London ) quite a bit of the area has been redeveloped but Ridley Rd market was a nightmare .

We have had health inspectors for decades. That's fine. Not saying anything against that. The problem is that we keep gold plating all of this legislation so that what was once fair and reasonable becomes an enlarged bureaucracy. It is what government does.

• Like 1

Wouldn't disagree too much with that woolley, initially we had Sanitary Inspectors , changed in the 60's to "Public Health Inspectors" then Environmental Health Inspectors , basically 'sanitary policemen' to apply the legislation without fear or favour .

The problem is these days local authority councillors expect their staff to adopt their political aims and objectives and interpret the legislation accordingly .

Some "Environmental Health Managers" think it is part of their brief to influence politicians and determine policy, sadly many of the folk have been "fast tracked" into managerial roles and their experience of the real world is limited .

When I qualified as an EHO one had to have 4 "o" levels and the course was 4 year ( 1 day release), and practical training was provided by the Local Authority in housing (slum clearance sub standard property ,time spend with the ' trades' employed by the local authority) food ( meat/fish inspection , port health/ imported food/ sampling , manufacturing/ wholesale/retail premises ) nuisance investigations etc etc and at the end the EHO was the jack of all trades , or at least knew enough not to be fooled completely. you could go on the get a "meat inspection ticket" smoke ticket and H&S qualification.

These days the qualification is a degree with , as far as I can see , a paucity of practical training, I s'pose it's a bit like the old apprenticeship training for say a plumber , used to take a few years now it's a quick course and a wek-end with a boiler manufacturer and you're "approved".

What would be refreshing is a little less multi -syllabled meaningless garbage and a bit more common sense .

Rant oversmile.png

Edited by paswt