Bloody foreigners, send 'em home

Keith

Am I understanding this correctly?

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/business/small-number-will-be-affected-by-new-migrant-rules-1-7340080

As of 2016, a Polish pizza delivery person will be able to live & work here, but a Filipino nurse, who has lived here for six years, will have to return to the Philippines unless they earn more than £35,000 per annum? Bloody foreigners, coming over here, looking after our sick and elderly... Or are 'we' going to arbitrarily decide that nurses one year can stay because they are "employed in shortage occupations" but the following year they can't?

In the Philippines, there are different 'standards' within different nursing schools/universities. According to a Filipino friend, the USA have known this for many years, because they set the best ones up when the USA had a major 'interest' in the Philippines. Basically to get a nursing visa to enter the USA, you need to have qualified from a 'prestigious' university. In the UK we haven't caught up with that, so some RN's were trained better than others. If you are a newly qualified RN from a high ranking Filipino establishment, are you going to come to the UK/IoM knowing your future is entirely out of your hands, or will you decide to go to the USA? Instead of the UK/IoM and the Nursing & Midwifery Council (NMC) tightening controls to raise standards, we're putting in place barriers that will stop the better nurses coming here and making us a second or third choice destination for those people who have questionably, a lower standard of training in the first place?

Not to mention the simple lack of 'fairness'. What if they have had a child in the time they have lived here? Does the child, at primary school, not have any 'rights'? Are we going to keep track of these migrant workers so we can give them six years' worth of pension when they retire? Was £35k decided upon because it is suitably above average earnings that it will include most migrants? If it was a more achievable figure, there may be some merit but to expect migrant workers to be earning approximately £10,000 pa ABOVE the average salary is ludicrous. Unless they are in the finance/e-gaming industries.

Is there actually a positive reason for this measure? Are we saying that only wealthy people contribute positively to the Island? And if, as Mr Bell says, it will "not affect a large number of the Island's migrant workers", why are we even doing it?

• Like 1

Isn't this a knock on from a change to UK immigration rules, which we are obliged to adopt because we do not have border controls with the UK? I think the example you give is iniquitous, but hopefully the 'shortage occupation' exception would apply.

Definition of ' Migrant ' = ' One who moves from place to place for work ' How many, from how many Nations come under that heading on the Isle of Man, or are some just picking the Nations they don't like to be removed ? That may come to a long list with some of our ' new residents '

• Like 1

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/business/small-number-will-be-affected-by-new-migrant-rules-1-7340080

As of 2016, a Polish pizza delivery person will be able to live & work here, but a Filipino nurse, who has lived here for six years, will have to return to the Philippines unless they earn more than £35,000 per annum?

I think you've read it wrong, I believe it only apples to new migrant workers and those currently on a 3 years visa.

This possibly stems from a situation known as being granted "ILR" or Indefinite Leave to Remain....

I worked with lots of migrant workers from the Philippines up until 2008 anyway and I think they clould get "ILR" after working a number of years although I am not sure how many years that was? Was it six years? Or seven or even four years? Can't recall.

However, whilst they had no desire to change their nationality they did have to under go "training" to qualify as if they were immigrants. Each one had a "Citizen pack" about the UK with all the facts, figures, history etc....It came with an equivalent Manx supplement...They took a test I think and then had Indefinite Leave to Remain...Maybe this is the change that is taking place?

As regards the :Polish. Well as EU members they have had the right to live in the Isle of Man for a long time and there is no restriction on that although if they want to work they need a work permit..

I think you will find that the Isle of Man via the UK has a limited reciprocal Social Security and Welfare agreement with the Philippines...Nice blue cover with a globe on the front...(Google it!)...Last I looked it gave a list of reciprocal benefits and nice directions to Markwell House...I last looked at it in 2008 somay need up-dating.

Can someone explain the rationale of this legislation? Why is it being introduced, and what are its advantages?

Well the "ILR" or Indefinite Leave to Remain was creating a lot of of non-EU people who could live and presumably work all being equal and yet they were not landed immigrants as such. They had a foot in both camps and could come and go and yet have all the advantages without becoming if you like a "citizen"...I imagine that this is in part behind it all and then the bigger picture of course..."ILR" might have come to be seen as a lacuna in the purpose of immigration law? I question??

As of 2016, a Polish pizza delivery person will be able to live & work here, but a Filipino nurse, who has lived here for six years, will have to return to the Philippines unless they earn more than £35,000 per annum?

I think you've read it wrong, I believe it only apples to new migrant workers and those currently on a 3 years visa.

should at least ease the strain on the health service

I just wish we could have someone do a proper good cheap drive in drive out car wash. Mini valet for a tenner in 10 mins or less.

I vote that the Albanians or Serbs would be the people to run such an enterprise most efficiently, although I'm sure the Poles could easily handle it.