MF Posting Habits

woolley

Worryingly, I noticed the other day that I have made nearly 10,000 posts on MF over 8 years. That seems an awful lot and puts me among the more prolific posters. It came as quite a shock. I don't spend my time doing nothing other than posting and I got to wondering how others arrange their routine on here.

I'll kick off. I post at all times of the day because I run my own company and whatever else I'm doing at the office, I tend to have MF open and minimised. In the morning during the week I will settle down with my first cuppa and check my emails. Then I open up MF and have a look what's new. If anything takes my fancy I might post a comment. It's quite a dangerous time because I can easily get hooked in to a debate, usually with a liberal, on some subject or other and can spend a lot more time than I should on it throughout that day. If I was an employee I'd probably get a severe reprimand or the sack. As the day goes by, depending how busy I am, I will continue to check MF, sometimes add a line or two or even one word! If Tynwald is sitting it'll be on in my office and if I hear something interesting, ludicrous or controversial (like Corkish saying the forums should be shut down) I'll go straight in and start a thread. It doesn't interfere with the running of the business because nowadays it pretty much goes on around me and needs just a light touch on the tiller. The heavy lifting was done back in the 90s. Before leaving for the day (it can be anytime between 5 and 8 depending what's going on) I'll check MF again and probably post some longer pieces at that time when the office is quiet and peaceful.

After playing sports a few times a week or going out to eat or theatre or whatever, I'll go online to check mail again as they come from around the world. Then inevitably I'll open MF and do some late night posting. Even after going to the pub, which is probably not a good time to look for provocation. Sunday morning - like now - I'm usually on while listening to the politics on television and before heading off for long walk in the country. I don't post while out and about as I know some do but I will look in and post now and again if I'm staying in the UK or abroad so as to keep up with life on the rock.

What about you? What are your posting circumstances and routine? Do you get mind's eye impressions of other posters? I imagine GD4 in his small study from which he doesn't emerge too often possibly in Swiss national dress, posting between working on new algorithms to inflict on humanity. Spook, I imagine posts from an attic in a Victorian house. Roxanne comes over as Lady Penelope. Bees stroking a cat with one hand and typing with the other. Gerrydandridge while looking out of the window at the horizon, and Chinahand in a room filled with encyclopaedias. Barrie wearing his Captain's uniform.

In getting over my shock at seeing the number of posts I've made, I have decided to curtail it somewhat. So now I'm going to find out if that actually happens and I post less frequently, or if I am truly addicted to the bloody thing. Happy posting to you all.thumbsup.gif

Depends what mood I'm in, and indeed what mood others have been in during the day, sometimes I just want to come on and swear at people, other times I just read stuff and sigh a lot.

I have a bunch of things I think I should post, but then I think dickheads like spook will come along and drag it down into the shit so I can't be bothered.

I'd kind of like it if there was a bit more serious debate on here, but as threads just get ruined by idiots it often doesn't happen, and I think a lot of quality posters have stopped posting because of this. Where are VinnieK and Roger Mexico these days?

• Like 1

10000 posts in 8 years is not that many - only 3 or 4 a day. Nothing compared with Thomas Jefferson when he was in that incarnation. I'm approaching 2500 in not quite 5 years, so a little less prolific.

I check in most days, check the threads with the star indicating I've contributed to the thread already, and any others that seem vaguely interesting. I don't tend to follow the really long threads, because they tend to be 2 or 3 posters insulting each other. I do most of my MF surfing in the evening, while half watching some crap on the TV. I sometimes check in from work - maybe between cases in theatre. As a public sector employee I suppose you could question whether I should do that or not; I have however in the past been complimented on some of my posts by senior management, so I'm not unduly concerned - they could always block MF like they have FB if it was thought to be a problem.

I try not to imagine what other posters are like - invariably you're completely wrong whenever you get to meet them in real life, although with Spook I can't help but think Victor Meldrew crossed with that loon that ran the Westboro' Baptist Church.

• Like 1

When I'm bored and don't have anything more productive to do, and when I think there is something I can add.

I do tend to give it a miss for quite long periods, usually when I despair of it because of the frquent negativity, pointless debates about conspiracists theories, and childish trading of accusations and insults.

But it can pass the time interestingly, and I am grateful to those that provide it ...

• Like 1

I tend to have a lot of tabs open whenever I'm at the computer, my facebook, my accounts on various martial arts forums, my manxforums account my reddit account and my youtube account.

Usually I'm using youtube or another video hosting website to catch up on the latest Mixed Martial Arts, or Grappling competition results, or watching footage of one of my fighters next opponents. So my posting in forums tends to happen between matches, just to break up the action.

Plus, I really enjoy giving the heavily right wing/religious zealots their regular dose of humiliating defeat in debate, which keeps me coming back, either here on manxforums, or elsewhere on the net.

I love Manx Forums and hardly ever go a day without checking in, even if for a few minutes a few times a day.

I only tend to follow certain topics and chip in now and again as my mood suits or things irritate. I find some posters really worth reading although some of the longer standing members seem to have disappeared.

I tend to get tired of topics that go on and on for 100s of pages so don't bother with those normally, but I find the forums pretty hot off the mark on lots of local topics and that's always interesting.

I'm a real forum fan.

• Like 2

A friendly thread!

Mf is one of my start pages on Chrome.

My work requires me to update info at regular intervals so MF gets updated too.

I'm basically my own boss and my average is less than two posts a day. Like Woolley, if an employee used the forums at work they'd be in trouble, but given the fact I work at all times day and night and have to coordinate my work to get the job done I give myself bosses' privileges, mainly at tea break and lunchtime.

My office IS full of encyclopaedias and books; it's also a huge mess of paperwork.

I don't post as much as I used to, I've gone back to work and this time... I love my job so don't want to distract myself with MF. I've also made really good friends with a poster from here and now I spend IRL time with her talking about how great Manx Forums is :)

I make up what people look like and am often surprised when I meet them IRL :) Mostly I think everyone who posts is my age and like me except for the ones I hate (Obvs).

What about you? What are your posting circumstances and routine? Do you get mind's eye impressions of other posters?

I usually scan through the forums in the morning while I'm taking a dump. Sometimes I'll post a thread with a simple question that tries to get people to think about something as I am interested in what other people think. The "if you had two nukes" thread is an example of that. It was half intended as a joke (expecting people to say Norfolk and Cornwall) but I was also interested to find out where other people thought bad things in the world originate from, rather than it being some morbid interest in bombing people. Then I go to work. I sometimes read and post a little at lunch time for five minutes. I don't post again until the evening and just post on anything I find interesting. I never go on the forum while I'm at work, not even on my mobile phone. I'm just too busy to do that. I'm on here more at weekends, usually at the same time as watching a film or documentary, or while waiting for dinner to cook.

10000 posts in 8 years is not that many - only 3 or 4 a day. Nothing compared with Thomas Jefferson when he was in that incarnation.

I would like to see him unbanned. Or at least allowed to log in and change his avatar.

Edited by Isaac

I imagine GD4 in his small study from which he doesn't emerge too often possibly in Swiss national dress, posting between working on new algorithms to inflict on humanity.

I too work from home but not from a small study, rather a rather nice day room with conservatory which leads into the rear garden. As I work in the area of defence (SIGINT) it's probably best not to elaborate too much.

I start at 5AM, aim to be in bed by 11 PM, check MF to see what's happening on my home isle. I don't have a smart 'phone, rarely use my GSM.

Will not be visiting this year but may be bring a large party over in 2016 or 2017.

ETA: various pics here: https://www.flickr.com/cameraroll

Edited by GD4ELI

Interesting. Is there an "insider knowledge" reason you don't use a smart phone?

When I'm not at home I have no desire to be called on the 'phone and don't need internet access, I have the company bopping along very nicely thank-you.

• Like 1