Woman cut from car after Mountain Road crash

The Sick Moon

For anyone unfamiliar with the mountain road, the sign as you come into the Gooseneck towards Ramsey, is very misleading. I think that's what has caught out many people in the past, although in this particular case it may well have been the very wet conditions at the time, or indeed some other factor. The sign I'm referring to, positioned about a 100 yards before the corner, indicates a tight left hand bend, but not the 20mph corkscrew that it really is. I've often wondered how many people misjudge the Gooseneck as they come down into it and have a lively time getting round.

Edited by Shake me up Judy
  • Like 2

For anyone unfamiliar with the mountain road, the sign as you come into the Gooseneck towards Ramsey, is very misleading. I think that's what has caught out many people in the past, although in this particular case it may well have been the very wet conditions at the time, or indeed some other factor. The sign I'm referring to, positioned about a 100 yards before the corner, indicates a tight left hand bend, but not the 20mph corkscrew that it really is. I've often wondered how many people misjudge the Gooseneck as they come down into it and have a lively time getting round.

Anyone that misjudges that corner is an idiot, you shouldn't need signs to tell me what sort of corner it is, its about reading the road ahead and given you can see the sheer curve its obvious its a slow sharp corner. Its no different to the 40mph advisory signs at Windy corner, on the foggiest, windiest and generally shitty day 40mph is probably about the limit.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd hate to be in a car wreck. She must have been terrified. Hope she makes a full and quick recovery.

So would I.

Thankfully most of the times they cut people from cars, or free them from the wreck these days it is just because procedures these days dictate they have to.

If this car was on its side and the person conscious chances a few years ago they would have told you to climb out the side or through the windscreen, these days they have to remove a roof to put a backboard in and assess the "casualty"

In a very small number of cases the extra care and road obstruction will prove to be worthwhile as there could be a hidden injury.

In the vast majority the old school approach of getting out and pushing the car to the side of road would have been fine.

It's just the way the world is now, but people still hear about people being cut out and assume the passager compartment has been heavily compromised as in the old days.

They cut someone from a vehicle in what looked like a 10mph bump in a car with million airbags at corkills round about the other week. The damage to the other vehicle looked like a car park scrape.

See

http://m.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/driver-cut-free-from-car-after-crash-1-7363140