Tourists can 'go take a run and jump'

j2bad

http://www.visitisleofman.com/homefree/

Not sure visitors to the chasms will recognise it though.

Well someone from DED has now fixed their mistake, still not sure Cornaa is Ramsey though.

Nice vid, likely to go viral and actually using local talent, better than all that 'Meet the Andersons' rubbish.

Edited by j2bad

Wait the queues at Nobles when fat 14 year olds try it.

Not too sure running over, jumping against and swinging off fallen down buildings and monuments shows the pastime in a good light IMHO. Would hate to have been the civil servant tasked with the risk assessment for some of that.. there was one right?

Is this something the government commissioned, or just a video they've found and decided to share? If they commissioned it, is it fair to assume they used a local production company to make it?

This is one of these loaded questions isn't it? You clearly know the answer and if you don't then a quick click on the Cut Media logo on the video takes you to their website, which tells you that they are based in Glasgow. I thought you worked in the media too?

The video immediately reminded me of those cool Danny Macaskill freestyle bike videos (the filming style, the music, etc.), so it came as no great surprise to see that they also made those. Personally, I think it is a great video that shows the Island in a great light. Obviously that doesn't fit with the doom and gloom merchants on here so I'll balance that by saying that clearly hundreds of innocent children will die in copycat incidents and local production companies are probably already going bankrupt. I blame Bell and his cronies. It would be safer to make the video (and therefore better) in Norfolk as it is flatter. Cornwall makes those videos everyday. And so on.............................

• Like 6

Is this something the government commissioned, or just a video they've found and decided to share? If they commissioned it, is it fair to assume they used a local production company to make it?

Appears that they have commissioned it, certainly the behind the scenes video states that.

Whilst there is local talent that could have done much of this, surely using the same production team behind Danny Macaskill 'The Ridge' which has 36 million views and have 96,000 subscribers to their youtube channel is a good idea and probably helped get the 'One Show' on board who did a piece on this last night.

If you watch 'The ridge' you will also get a link promoting the Isle of Man Video at 6:20 not bad being linked off the back of one of the most popular videos of the last 9 months.

Edited by j2bad
  • Like 1

Wait the queues at Nobles when fat 14 year olds try it.

Not too sure running over, jumping against and swinging off fallen down buildings and monuments shows the pastime in a good light IMHO. Would hate to have been the civil servant tasked with the risk assessment for some of that.. there was one right?

tumblr_ljq77svYwA1qavmeoo1_500.gif

• Like 1

This is one of these loaded questions isn't it? You clearly know the answer and if you don't then a quick click on the Cut Media logo on the video takes you to their website, which tells you that they are based in Glasgow. I thought you worked in the media too?

It was sort of loaded. I saw it was a Glasgow company, but genuinely don't know if it was something that company made under contract to isle of man govt, or for some other reason, perhaps for a sponsor of Will's or something.

You're right there is merit in using a firm which has enjoyed viral success before, but how will any of the local outfits ever get the chance to create a viral 'buzz' if they don't get to work on subjects like this? you end up in the catch 22, which government is so good at, of saying 'we can't give work to local organisations because they don't have enough experience in this field' without realising that they never will have 'enough' experience until they are allowed to do some of the work that keeps getting shipped off island to the big boys.

Oh, and yes I'm very much enjoying my media career. I'm assuming you mean my jobs at isle of man newspapers and manx radio which MF said i held (confusingly at the same time). These are, of course, in addition to my work at the police, civil service and steam packet (and others I've forgotten) which MF members have at various times given me.

You're right there is merit in using a firm which has enjoyed viral success before, but how will any of the local outfits ever get the chance to create a viral 'buzz' if they don't get to work on subjects like this? you end up in the catch 22, which government is so good at, of saying 'we can't give work to local organisations because they don't have enough experience in this field' without realising that they never will have 'enough' experience until they are allowed to do some of the work that keeps getting shipped off island to the big boys.

So day three / four and already over 63,000 views, compare that to a video that visitisleofman uploaded of that Keiron fella kayaking 8 days ago with just 467 views...

The kayaking video was probably shot by a local team and it is a nice video just no way is that going to go viral. The success of the free running video will hopefully give local filmmakers more creative briefs than 'shoot this fella paddling in a kayak and get some seals and stuff'.

It's taken a very long time, but at last we have something that is even dafter than the TT.

Please, get a life.

I'm surprised you can cross the road given the "risks" involved. We should ban that too?

The video and what Will Sutton does is brilliant. Not only is he exceptionally skilled the video can do no harm to how the Isle of Man looks for anyone seeing that.

• Like 2