Woman who killed cyclist gets suspended sentence

manxb&b

Perhaps I have higher standards? smile.png

Kirk Michael is a narrow village street. with parked cars, pedestrians, cyclists, etc. People need to pay attention.

Poeple shouldn't be dying on our roads because someone isn't giving their driving their full attention.

Once more. Of course you are absolutely correct. But there is a human element. Where there is a human element anything is possible. Even concerning you. You COULD be distracted. Anyone could.

Back on track, an observant driver would have spotted the cyclist about 100m or so beforehand. How distracted do you have to be to still plough in to them and kill them?

I'd say you had to be texting someone and looking down into your lap.

Yes. I think I'm being swayed here. Still say we're all human but this is a bad one.

Perhaps I have higher standards? smile.png

Kirk Michael is a narrow village street. with parked cars, pedestrians, cyclists, etc. People need to pay attention.

Poeple shouldn't be dying on our roads because someone isn't giving their driving their full attention.

Once more. Of course you are absolutely correct. But there is a human element. Where there is a human element anything is possible. Even concerning you. You COULD be distracted. Anyone could.

Back on track, an observant driver would have spotted the cyclist about 100m or so beforehand. How distracted do you have to be to still plough in to them and kill them?

I'd say you had to be texting someone and looking down into your lap.

To not see a cyclist you literally cannot be looking where you are going.

• Like 1

May as well add some more conjecture to the above.

Would a 'normal' car have flipped the victim over the bonnet whereas, a high fronted 4WD ensured that the victim was directed under the car?

The police check mobile phone use at the time of an accident, not to say that a ringing phone could not be a distraction. Answer, all phones in a car should be switched off.

Remember, Kirk Michael high street is full of distractions, I doubt anyones attention is more than 10-15 meters ahead.

Remember, Kirk Michael high street is full of distractions, I doubt anyones attention is more than 10-15 meters ahead.

Which is barely half of the stopping distance at 30mph

You need to scan left, centre, right. Foreground, midground and distance. That way you don't kill cyclists or have other road users coming out of nowhere.

My estimate of 10 - 15 m. attention range, in response to your ''an observant driver would have spotted the cyclist about 100m or so beforehand'', was to say that ones attention is taken up by overtaking parked cars or allowing room for oncoming cars to do so.

In this situation, attention is often down to a couple of meters as you check that each car has room to pass, speed is also probably down to 20 or lower.

In places the pavement is worryingly narrow, a further concern.

If you think this is not safe, then a parking ban, even to the detriment of the local shops, is the answer. There is parking at the Bank, a short distance away.

I don't think that any road safety system can allow for unexplained or momentary lapses of attention?

• Like 2

People in public sector housing shouldn't even be allowed cars. If they want to live off the public, they should be made to use public transport or get on their bike or walk. That would reduce the road accidents.

• Like 1

My estimate of 10 - 15 m. attention range, in response to your ''an observant driver would have spotted the cyclist about 100m or so beforehand'', was to say that ones attention is taken up by overtaking parked cars or allowing room for oncoming cars to do so.

In this situation, attention is often down to a couple of meters as you check that each car has room to pass, speed is also probably down to 20 or lower.

It takes about a second to scan the road ahead and see what potential hazards are coming up.

There's a cyclist some way ahead, remeber that and take appropriate action as you approch

It's not difficult.

If your attention really is only 10-15 metres ahead you must be constantantly banging on the brakes to avoid rear ending cars or knocking over pedestrians. Or talking nonsense.

• Like 1

It takes about a second to scan the road ahead and see what potential hazards are coming up.

There's a cyclist some way ahead, remeber that and take appropriate action as you approch

It's not difficult.

If your attention really is only 10-15 metres ahead you must be constantantly banging on the brakes to avoid rear ending cars or knocking over pedestrians. Or talking nonsense.

A cyclist on the pavement isn't really a hazard. Unless for some reason you're so incompetent that you're going to mount the pavement, hit the cyclist and plow into a wall. This wasn't a case of carelessness, it's criminal incompetency.

• Like 1

People in public sector housing shouldn't even be allowed cars. If they want to live off the public, they should be made to use public transport or get on their bike or walk. That would reduce the road accidents.

Tell us more spooky.

• Like 1

As you approach the accident scene you pass a school, a crossroads, a used car lot and a pedestrian crossing. Just beyond the crossing is the village shop.

Err, they're not distractions. If they are somehow things that prevent someone from paying attention to things beyond 15 metres ahead, that someone should be on the bus. The special bus. cool.png