Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Uhtred

...And they're off...in the Peel and Glenfaba steeplechase

Just who is this Geoffrey Boot??

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/letters/lord-boot-is-a-real-political-puzzle-to-me-1-3842854

http://www.courier.co.uk/Baron-Boot-steps/story-11997959-detail/story.html

Has a bit of a history of upsetting people so might fit in well up the road but I think we might be in for a spot of bother if he gets in. Seems to have quite a high opinion of himself.

Strange that Glenfaba by-election candidate 'Barran Bootys' Geoffrey Boot never seems to mention his years as a Tory councillor

The telecoms licence that would have been useless because delivering internet through electricity cables doesn't actually work?

Really?

http://www.devolo.com/uk/About-devolo

Surely the point is that folks made a lot of cash and ran up a lot of x's "researching" it's suitability in the time honoured fashion known and loved by taxpayers everywhere...

If we elect Pownall he will donate all his MHK salary to cancer diagnostics at Nobles.

This is quite a promise.

The telecoms licence that would have been useless because delivering internet through electricity cables doesn't actually work?

Really?http://www.devolo.com/uk/About-devolo

Surely the point is that folks made a lot of cash and ran up a lot of x's "researching" it's suitability in the time honoured fashion known and loved by taxpayers everywhere...

Yes. But maybe if they'd have got a telecoms license they would have got the R&D money back and made a good profit on it? The principle works - Devolo has sold over 25m devices that convert your domestic power main into an Internet hub. So who knows what would have been? MT would have been shagged if the MEA was supplying all broadband in the IOM as part of your monthly eleccy bill.

If we elect Pownall he will donate all his MHK salary to cancer diagnostics at Nobles.

This is quite a promise.

For the first term, he said. And there's less than a year to go.

It is still a more generous promise than many would want to make!

bribe???

• Like 2

It is still a more generous promise than many would want to make!

bribe???

What he intends to do with his salary is totally seperate to his suitability as an MHK. People need to see this offer as completely irrelevant bribery electioneering.

• Like 4

I'd be voting Boot, on the basis that he is such a gobshite he will make the establishment's lives uncomfortable, but he won't ever have any real power so there is limited downside.

• Like 1

I'd be voting Boot, on the basis that he is such a gobshite he will make the establishment's lives uncomfortable, but he won't ever have any real power so there is limited downside.

Wouldn't you say that Baron Boot, Tory councillor and aviation show off, is the very epitome of the establishment?

• Like 2

Wouldn't you say that Baron Boot, Tory councillor and aviation show off, is the very epitome of the establishment?

he is probably one of those who wears captains stripes when flying a light aircraft alone? a walter mitty wannabe.. whatever.gif

I think that genuine members of the UK establishment would be embarrassed to be near him. Given how little good individual MHKs can do (and likewise, how little harm), you might as well get some entertainment value

He might be entertaining but Talbot's contribution would probably be more meaningful

I believe he has some preference for sustainability policies for the island

At a time when there are some really big challenges facing the Island, we have this village egg and spoon race to the Island's national assembly, with very little scrutiny of their capabilities or fitness for government. Frankly, one or two of these candidates names shouldn't even be allowed anywhere near a ballot paper.

• Like 4