Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Uhtred

...And they're off...in the Peel and Glenfaba steeplechase

As an ex Glenfaba voter, I've been aware of that for well over thirty years!

..and you?

It's not like it's a revelation. You suggested that they might be clever in working out the time to jump. I'm suggesting it must be totally, unequivocally, fucking obvious to most of them that the voters wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire.

It surely had to amount to the most sickenly embarrassing and overt casting of Establishment gold-leaf lifebelts ever witnessed in local politics?

Let's not forget, turned down by the Mate's Club were two men with lifetimes training and experience in Law - to scrutinise, er, Legislation. Voted in were a farmer with a career in subsidies and an ex-postman with zero chance of public re-election. Slightly preceded by a tat-shop owner and a man purporting to represent an area of Douglas with a large area of social housing who declared that he couldn't get by on less than £50k a year and is now announcing benefit cuts.

You couldn't invent more gross hypocrisy.

On this, do you think that if one of the constituents asked their MKH how they voted, they would tell you? And should they?

Secret votes don't really sit very compatibly with being in office as an accountable public representative,in my opinion.

• Like 3

This 'representative democracy' thing just doesn't work properly (if at all)

Time it was replaced with something more direct & with greater voter involvement

& cheaper!

Legco are capable of forming and changing legislation, so being an Advocate does not automatically qualify someone for the role.

Certainly they could help with the correct drafting of the law but if they were of an extreme political persuasion, right wing fascist say, would we want them influencing the formation of those laws?

A fair point Kopek. In the same way, for example, that just because someone is a qualified accountant does not really make them any more suitable as a political member of a department or indeed a minister. I would even suggest to have had a career and qualifications in a particular area could get in the way of a politician's work (ie there are qualified civil servants who provide the professional input)

Although that said, I understand Mrs Crowe was made DoLGE minister because she once made a planning application, and the chap from Rushen who was a landscape gardener was made Minister for Department of Forestry and Fisheries or whatever it was called.

Rimmington? I think he went to New Zealand. He could have done the Health service probe for Quayle, couldn't he!