Sad neglected Island

carolina

Bit of a shame that if there is a safety issue the farmers and land owners can't be given an instruction to cut their hedge inside the closed season. Oh wait --- I forgot who the people who would be affected are. Wouldn't do to inconvince the likes of Teare or his 'brothers' would it.

When I saw this thread I had a bet with myself that there would be a helpful 'boat in the morning' suggestion before post #10. Well, I admit it, I was wrong, again. It took until post #17.

Seriously though, some hedges *really* need trimming. To say that isn't a criticism of our beautiful island or its inhabitants and there's no need for anyone to get cross. In fact there's no need to get cross just because someone says something perfectly reasonable that might, just might and looking obliquely be regarded as a mild criticism of the island to some. Mind you, I'd have picked a more appropriate thread title wink.png

Anyway,some of these hedges needed trimming from last year and can be dangerous on an already narrow lane if you are a pedestrian with a car trying to pass or if you have the temerity to walk in the dark.

There, that's better... oh * I've gone and missed the boat.

And what would have happenned 100 years ago to those same routes, nothing you use them or loose theem

• 2 weeks later...

The island is definitely overgrown. Wonderfully, beautifully overgrown.

I can only assume that's down to the ideal alternation between sunshine and rain that makes the island so lush, and the strong winds that make the foliage so rugged. Heaven forbid that someone would take it upon themselves to savage it into neat little shapes to pacify their mental disorder. But that's enough talk about gardening.

• Like 3

Well I never-it never ceases to amaze me how anonymous people can try and deride a person for making a seemingly innocent statement. I am a very happy person with a great out look on life, with a great family and friends. To suggest its otherwise only shows that some people seem to take pleasure in trying be nasty to others. Thats not my makeup. Tell you what to save you all and others on the other forum sites from putting people -and me down I will delete myself from this forum. Very sad as I have enjoyed most of the debate but get really annoyed at the name calling and derogatory comments-which I doubt wouldn't be said if this wasn't anonymous. And I still stand by my original comment. I love this Island and would never leave but it is looking sad and neglected!

dramallama_131764853069.jpg

• Like 1

Is it just me or does the Island look sad and neglected. Driving around all I see is overgrown hedgerows,growing unto the roads and weeds + grass in pavements, kerbs and gutters. It looks awful. Maybe there are other priorities -ie £23 million for new promenade but the rest of Island does need a revamp.

Seasonal cutting as Jess mentioned earlier and a cut back on resources will have an affect on appearances.

Go to Port Soderick and apart from a nice glen, the dilapidated state of things there is a sorry loss to the island, especially for those who remember the good old times in years past.

The beach buddies are doing a fab job in cleaning up the beaches and credit to them and their volunteers that include firms.

I still see people pick up litter and I generally think the people on the island keep their properties fairly well maintained.

I would have liked to have seen a picture of the overgrown hedgerows, weeds and grass as Carolina says earlier, as this would have helped people to easier see her point of view.

Is it just me or does the Island look sad and neglected. Driving around all I see is overgrown hedgerows,growing unto the roads and weeds + grass in pavements, kerbs and gutters. It looks awful. Maybe there are other priorities -ie £23 million for new promenade but the rest of Island does need a revamp.

I think it's your view on life that needs a revamp.