Starbucks and rumours of Starbucks

I forget how remarkably angry most people on MF are. They are just angry people wanting to be angry about something, and today it is coffee shops.

Who cares? I mean really, who gives a shit? If you like one brand more than another, use the brand you like. If you don't like coffee, or coffee shop culture, or the price, just don't go. It isn't compulsory. Someone wants to open a business. It means one less empty shop unit in our main shopping area, some people might enjoy it and some people might get jobs. If people don't like it, it fails.

For those who don't like Starbucks, poncy coffee, the people who like poncy coffee or whatever, just walk past.

I don't like Dorothy Perkins. I don't think the clothes are very good quality, I don't like the prices, I don't much like the people who like the brand and I don't want to dress as a woman. for that reason, I walk past the shop, ignoring it, and shop elsewhere.

I've never felt motivated to go postal on a web forum about my distaste for the brand.

I'd suggest some of you might benefit from laying off the caffeine for a while, judging by the ill-tempers and hatred on this thread.

We're not angry, we're engaged.

If arguing the merits of different brands of coffee, coffee itself and the social standing of those who drink it counts as being engaged, it's no wonder our politicians get away with so much shit

But you are doing exactly the same thing in relation to this thread, don't you see that? People are sounding off about coffee and claiming disinterest. You are sounding off about people sounding off about coffee and claiming disinterest.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Poncy coffees are for gays, girls and twats in cravats. Quite why people rave about something that takes one person 15 minutes to make, rattling stuff about like a demented chimp in a saucepan factor

Such decadence. We're in the last stage of the life of our empire I tells yer.

Mother T's is a social enterprise run by a team of Five lovely Ladies, all with their own talents to contribute. it's based opposite trading paces on the new road, laxey. they stock various organic

I forget how remarkably angry most people on MF are. They are just angry people wanting to be angry about something, and today it is coffee shops.

Who cares? I mean really, who gives a shit? If you like one brand more than another, use the brand you like. If you don't like coffee, or coffee shop culture, or the price, just don't go. It isn't compulsory. Someone wants to open a business. It means one less empty shop unit in our main shopping area, some people might enjoy it and some people might get jobs. If people don't like it, it fails.

For those who don't like Starbucks, poncy coffee, the people who like poncy coffee or whatever, just walk past.

I don't like Dorothy Perkins. I don't think the clothes are very good quality, I don't like the prices, I don't much like the people who like the brand and I don't want to dress as a woman. for that reason, I walk past the shop, ignoring it, and shop elsewhere.

I've never felt motivated to go postal on a web forum about my distaste for the brand.

I'd suggest some of you might benefit from laying off the caffeine for a while, judging by the ill-tempers and hatred on this thread.

We're not angry, we're engaged.

If arguing the merits of different brands of coffee, coffee itself and the social standing of those who drink it counts as being engaged, it's no wonder our politicians get away with so much shit

But you are doing exactly the same thing in relation to this thread, don't you see that? People are sounding off about coffee and claiming disinterest. You are sounding off about people sounding off about coffee and claiming disinterest.

No, think of me more as a shepherd, wandering away from the rich green pastures of sensible debate to show the lost sheep the error of their ways and guide them back to the flock.

Me - 'Let's leave this place, for no good can come of it, and go back to debating public sector pay, pensions, housing, the economy and infrastructure investment.'

You lot - 'Baa'

Are Starbucks not a franchise in which case quality comes down to the franchise holder to a great extent. And one way to increase profit is to sell cheap cash and carry materials across the counter rather than the rather high quality stuff I've always had from Starbucks.

Are Starbucks not a franchise in which case quality comes down to the franchise holder to a great extent. And one way to increase profit is to sell cheap cash and carry materials across the counter rather than the rather high quality stuff I've always had from Starbucks.

Yes, but not for long. The profits will dry up and the franchisor will be on your back when they start getting complaints and see your orders for their licensed stuff dry up.

Good luck to anyone wanting to get off their arse and make a go of a business. If you're pissed off at another coffee shop opening get a business plan together and open your own business. I enjoy popping into Costa when in town and just watching the world go by.

Yes, but not for long. The profits will dry up and the franchisor will be on your back when they start getting complaints and see your orders for their licensed stuff dry up.
The trick is to not be greedy. Just skim under 5% and it's unlikely to show. There's a heck of it goes on where franchises are concerned. Coffee joints are ideal. Add 5% cheap stuff to the good stuff is what many places do.

There's a KFC place round here's been doing it for ages and a gastropub from a well know chain that regularly serves turkey breast meat as chicken under a cheese sauce.

As for so called Indian places, almost all of which are not Indian but Pakistan, anything that is described as lamb in a hot sauce is highly likely to be anything but lamb, here again turkey meat that has been marinated in lamb stock is commonplace.

Round here Chinese places are probably the best unless you want to pay big bucks.

Most of the money made by these major coffee shops goes straight off island and straight out of our economy.

Better a local smart brand, similar formula and layout, possibly with 10% going to local charity etc. money invested here in other projects to expand. Would do extremely well here IMO if they got the look right.

Mother T's in Laxey is my favourite place for refreshments, soup n bread etc, and it's all for free! (donations are welcomed.) They are a brilliant team of dedicated girls, doing wonderful things in the community. please check them out if you are passing. they also offer a time banking system for exchanging expertise and the like x

https://www.facebook.com/MotherTeas?ref=ts&fref=ts

• Like 2

You are contracted to buy your stuff from them. It's a franchise.

You are contracted to buy your stuff from them. It's a franchise.

Yeah, but he's saying you skim a bit on the side. I know of others that do it in other business sectors, but I reckon it would be quite difficult in a retail franchise environment, because they have sophisticated EPOS technology that goes across their networks and they know exactly what you're doing, how much merchandise you should be buying from them and consequently what their cut should be.