The CM being trolled ...

However, and this is the telling point, all of the dross on social media IS ONLY HURTFUL IF IT'S TRUE!

I'm afraid I disagree - if you accused someone of drowning puppies for fun, it would be hurtful to that person, professionally and personally, even if it wasn't true

• Like 1
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Perhaps it's down to Govt being mired in an attitude from an era when there wasn't social media and our politicos and great and good were above and beyond criticism? And life could be made difficult f

I'd second that. All social media is doing is documenting what would have been pub talk in previous decades as the peasants wouldn't dare say anything to their faces through fear of institutional bull

The growth of social media does mean that pretty much everyone can be a misinformed critic of institutions such as Tynwald. As someone mentioned previously the MVIC coven demonstrates this only too we

Posted Images

If you look at some of the original postings from Burns and Pownall it has been self inflicted.

They both have made some silly comments over the last few months in order get elected, and this was challenged by numerous people, and rightly so in my opinion.

The Manx Voices facebook is certainly the biggest group of trolls on the internet at the moment, at least on Manx Forums you can respond and defend yourself, unlike Manx Voices which gives users no rights to a reply.

Not sure how Burns, Caley (a government worker) and others are allowed to continue in this manner, it is about time their FB page was closed!

I actually enjoy reading Mannanans Review each morning keep up the excellent work.

I enjoy it too don't get me wrong, I just said that sometimes it almost lampoons people which takes the edge off some of the good stuff it does. I also agree with you on how an IOMG employee can be associated with such a bear-pit like Manx Voices and not be kicked out on their ear for what is effectively encouraging political trolling and general unpleasantness. I thought there was a clause in IOMG contracts about not getting involved in political parties and campaigns? If Bell was serious in his concerns about personal abuse he'd have a few of them out on their arses as a clear message, or tell them to shut the fuck up via a friendly Advocate if it's untrue.

Edited by thesultanofsheight

If you look at some of the original postings from Burns and Pownall it has been self inflicted.

They both have made some silly comments over the last few months in order get elected, and this was challenged by numerous people, and rightly so in my opinion.

The Manx Voices facebook is certainly the biggest group of trolls on the internet at the moment, at least on Manx Forums you can respond and defend yourself, unlike Manx Voices which gives users no rights to a reply.

Not sure how Burns, Caley (a government worker) and others are allowed to continue in this manner, it is about time their FB page was closed!

I actually enjoy reading Mannanans Review each morning keep up the excellent work.

I enjoy it too don't get me wrong, I just said that sometimes it almost lampoons people which takes the edge off some of the good stuff it does. I also agree with you on how an IOMG employee can be associated with such a bear-pit like Manx Voices and not be kicked out on their ear for what is effectively encouraging political trolling and general unpleasantness. I thought there was a clause in IOMG contracts about not getting involved in political parties and campaigns? If Bell was serious in his concerns about personal abuse he'd have a few of them out on their arses as a clear message, or tell them to shut the fuck up via a friendly Advocate if it's untrue.

I totally agree

• Like 2

The CM did make one valid statement in that MT interview, trolls should not be allowed to put good, open and honest candidates from coming forward.

Unfortunately, neither Burns or Pownall fit that bill - yet!

Several other good names do appear on this forum and members on the whole seem to accept them. That said, they still give them a hard time but that is acceptable because these individuals if elected will be representing our interests for the next five or six years.

Edited by Teddy Smith
  • Like 1

However, and this is the telling point, all of the dross on social media IS ONLY HURTFUL IF IT'S TRUE!

I'm afraid I disagree - if you accused someone of drowning puppies for fun, it would be hurtful to that person, professionally and personally, even if it wasn't true

Correct. Or if you accused people of sexually abusing children, or the media did, or the police did. What could be worse? Especially if it wasn't true.

Correct. Or if you accused people of sexually abusing children, or the media did, or the police did. What could be worse? Especially if it wasn't true.

If it's not true then they simply don't know what they are gobbing off about. So it just wouldn't bother me if folks wanted to put their ignorance about me on display. So I guess it's down to the individuals involved. Plus possible legal ramifications of course.

However if you are a bit thin-skinned then surely politics is not the game you should be in...?

However if you are a bit thin-skinned then surely politics is not the game you should be in...?

If you can't handle banter and genuine criticism, absolutely, but I don't think it is thin-skinned to be upset when irrelevant personal matters are used online to insult you - such as sexuality - or your family are dragged into the criticism. If a politician's partner does not seek the limelight then it is not fair for them to be subjected to the sort of malicious hate campaigns that some have been.

• Like 2

If a politician's partner does not seek the limelight then it is not fair for them to be subjected to the sort of malicious hate campaigns that some have been.

Totally agree. There is a line that shouldn't be crossed.

• Like 1

If a politician's partner does not seek the limelight then it is not fair for them to be subjected to the sort of malicious hate campaigns that some have been.

but that line has been crossed, and on here as well. Politicians should not be immune from criticism and public scrutiny, but laughing at someone's misfortune because they happen to live with a politician is just cruel.

• Like 1

but that line has been crossed, and on here as well. Politicians should not be immune from criticism and public scrutiny, but laughing at someone's misfortune because they happen to live with a politician is just cruel.

but be laugh at peoples misfortunes who don't live with politicians, what's the difference?

But that is irrelevant. If they genuinely did drown puppies then there's nothing to stop anyone saying it online or in public as, statement of fact, they are "a puppy drowner" whether they like it or not. You can't try to draw those lines. Yes some truthful things are hurtful but nevertheless they are true.

If a UK MP was caught bumming rent boys then there is no reason why a newspaper might deem it in the public interest to publish the fact that he bums rent boys. It wouldn't be untrue. It might be embarrassing but then so what - if you choose to bum rent boys then you risk the reality of that fact ending up in the papers. If that reality hurts you then maybe you should think twice about bumming rent boys.