John Hanson MHK Candidate

Barrie Stevens

If I were John Hanson and had to withdraw from standing for election to the Keys because the Registry suppled an out of date Electoral Roll I would personally approach the Lt Governor on the matter.

Elections to the House of Keys are a constitutional issue in the hands of the Lt Governor and held under his authority.

At the end of the day the any failings by the Registry if proven come to a rest on the Lt Governor's desk.

The Island has signed up to the principle of free and fair elections and it is failing if the Registry was the cause of a candidate being unable to qualify by virtue of an out of date register of electors.

I stood in 2005 and they had to give me free an up to date copy of the electoral roll and indeed did so although somewhat grudgingly!

It is a serious constitutional issue if an otherwise qualified candidate has the electoral procedure sabotaged by the Isle of Man Government and if I were Mr Hanson I would not only write to His Excellency but I would insist on a meeting.

I did so many years ago with a previous Lt Governor over the issue of a corrupt Coroner and although the subsequent letter from Crown and External Relations Division was a "brush off"...The Lt Governor nevertheless did suspend all Coroners' Auctions for a whole year and there was a formal investigation of Coroners before which I was invited to give evidence.

It is intolerable in our democracy under the Crown in a Crown Dependency for a candidate to be brushed off in such a fashion.

The issue is bigger than IOM Government and should be placed before the Lt Governor who on the Isle of Man is ultimately supreme above all...especially when the Queen's subjects are rendered unable to stand for election to what is one of HM's legislatures and whose members have to take the oath of allegiance before they can attain to their seats.

The Lt Governor should be formally approached and an exception made for Mr Hanson if he still wants to stand.

I would say that if he does not do so then he would not make a worthwhile MHK!

An auction of property by a Coroner and I was asked to look at the conveyance and it was drawn up signed by all parties including the price two weeks before the auction took place!

It was also sold to a company in Monrovia Liberia and you can't get to view the beneficial owners out there!

The then Lt Governor was so pleased as he knew what went on but could not do anything until someone made a complaint with evidence

I did that and they were calling me on the mobile even as a sped towards Government House in a taxi!

His Excellency was well pleased!...(But could never admit to it as he is effectively HM the Queen!)So I did the business and then got pushed out of the way again....save for giving evidence! I did not even get an invite to the "cockers P" the other peasants get invited to!

• Like 1

An auction of property by a Coroner and I was asked to look at the conveyance and it was drawn up signed by all parties including the price two weeks before the auction took place!

It was also sold to a company in Monrovia Liberia and you can't get to view the beneficial owners out there!

The then Lt Governor was so pleased as he knew what went on but could not do anything until someone made a complaint with evidence

I did that and they were calling me on the mobile even as a sped towards Government House in a taxi!

His Excellency was well pleased!...(But could never admit to it as he is effectively HM the Queen!)So I did the business and then got pushed out of the way again....save for giving evidence! I did not even get an invite to the "cockers P" the other peasants get invited to!

Wow

If I were John Hanson

You probably have been at some stage, you've been everything else.

I can't be bothered to read all your posts, or that tedious book you 'wrote', so I'm waiting for the movie...

"Barrie: From pub toilet cleaner to captain of industry - the amazing 'true' story of how one man took down the coroner single-handed for, like, a whole year. And another thing..."

I believe a two-figure deal has been signed for the exclusive rights by film producer Irritating Bullshit Ltd.

• Like 7

If I were John Hanson

You probably have been at some stage, you've been everything else.

I can't be bothered to read all your posts, or that tedious book you 'wrote', so I'm waiting for the movie...

"Barrie: From pub toilet cleaner to captain of industry - the amazing 'true' story of how one man took down the coroner single-handed for, like, a whole year. And another thing..."

I believe a two-figure deal has been signed for the exclusive rights by film producer Irritating Bullshit Ltd.

No need for that.

Seems he posted something interesting.

And, to be fair, it's hardly a massive surprise either is it?

I spoke to a Coroner about an auction property I was interested in bidding on. The rules state you had to lodge £10000 with the Coroner before you bid. When I sought clarication of that (it's something I wanted) he told me anyone could bid on the day, money lodged or not. Fair to say I wouldn't buy from it.

• Like 2

Back on topic, there was someone on the radio said that Douglas East candidate Cat Turner was given an incomplete electoral roll.

Incidentally, how many nomination names are needed? I reckon if my life depended on it I could raise two.

Back on topic, there was someone on the radio said that Douglas East candidate Cat Turner was given an incomplete electoral roll.

Incidentally, how many nomination names are needed? I reckon if my life depended on it I could raise two.

10?

To be fair with the recent publicity surrounding who is and isn't on an electoral roll I'm not surprised there out of date ones knocking around

• Like 1

Barrie, good of you to make such an important point. Would you do us all a favour and put this in a letter to the Examiner?

The powers that be are not going to take any notice of Manx Forums.

Yeah, but an overly-long, convoluted, repetitive missive full of half-truths and 'when I' references from urinal scrubber Barrie will have them quaking.

• Like 4

Personally I think the General Registry providing out of date information/electoral rolls, is part of the course. You are dealing with overpaid and over promoted civil servants. Remember if they make a screw up, no matter how big or how small, they will not hold their hands up and say sorry, and take the rap. It is very unfortunate for Mr Hanson, he will have to put it down to the usual Manx incompetence or providing a world class election service - 2010 Douglas East By-Election ..................comes to mind.

Barrie could always write a letter to the Moanin Line for this Sunday, I think Roger Watterson enjoys reading Barries letters

Edited by 2112

Barrie, I took on the Coroner and his lockman over a series of lies they told in court. Result - they closed ranks. So called legal system wanted nothing to do with it

I don't suppose too many would admit to that.whistling.gif