John Hanson MHK Candidate

Barrie Stevens

Yes a lot of us remember Barrie's weekly pages long diatribes in the local papers, and the hogging of the Mannin Line for years with boring crap that had no relevance at all. He could bore for Britain and claims he has published more research papers than NASA.

That's just reminded me of someone called Roy from Port Erin who rang MR daily with his opinions - I think they rationed his contributions eventually!

Yes a lot of us remember Barrie's weekly pages long diatribes in the local papers, and the hogging of the Mannin Line for years with boring crap that had no relevance at all. He could bore for Britain and claims he has published more research papers than NASA.

That's just reminded me of someone called Roy from Port Erin who rang MR daily with his opinions - I think they rationed his contributions eventually!

But Roy actually had something to say.

I spoke with him on the phone a few times and thought he was a really nice guy.

When I first heard Roy Gough on the Mannin Line, he was going on about the price of bread and the price of petrol. He had loads of figures and compared the prices with various parts of the UK. At first I thought he was a right anorak and then it dawned on me that what he had was a well researched argument.

He was an inteligent guy, a good man.

It was Roy that was probably the first person to indicate, at least in public, that the VAT figures were extremely favourable. He often sat in the public gallery in the House of Keys and Tynwald. Roy had the measure of many of them and could see right through the waffle and front. He was never offensive but even so, knew how to express his opinion decently.

Although I am not knocking Barrie, he is a comletely different kettle of fish.

• Like 2

I must admit I don't remember Barrie in the Moanin Line, but there something about him which is likeable - maybe it's his life experience. Seriously it all adds to the mix, and if nothing else, we all can have a good laugh at his his suggestions. It does stimulate debate.

• Like 1

Roy Gough made the Mannin Line worth listening to and it's never been any good since he passed away. He spoke a lot of sense and as Wann says, he had all the facts and figures. Did it make any difference though ? He might as well have not bothered......but at least he tried.

As to the Hanson thing; it's a farce that they still can't get it right in Douglas East after the Buster fiasco that cost several millions through the courts. We've never been told the true cost but it's a lot more than Steady Eddy said it was. Somebody's head should roll for this but that's not going to happen either. As to Hanson himself: well he's a complete waste of rations. I remember him from when he stood in Malew and Santon. Just another chancer without a clue.

• Like 1