UK Tax Credit v Isle of Man Personal Allowance Credit

No Bull

I see that the House of Lords have done the decent thing and voted against the UK Tax Credit changes proposed by George Osborne.

It's a pity the shower of sh!te we have here couldn't have done something similar when Eddie Teare decided take £500 or £1000 from many of the poorest and most vulnerable on the Island with his destruction of the Personal Allowance Credit. Just goes to show probably didn't even read Eddie Teares proposal and they are only looking out for themselves (paying for parking was thrown out), pigs.

Still can't believe Eddie Teare got away with this at 6 weeks notice http://www.tynwald.org.im/business/opqp/sittings/Tynwald%2020142016/2015-SD-0013.pdf

2015-SD-0013.pdf

I agree the tax credit system is not ideal, but to take this away from the poorest in one foul swoop is morally wrong. Any changes should be done gradually. Unlike Eddie Teare with his sledgehammer and 6 weeks notice.

I notice the tax office still haven't updated their website regarding the qualifying criteria for the Personal Allowance Credit https://www.gov.im/categories/tax-vat-and-your-money/income-tax-and-national-insurance/individuals/residents/personal-allowance-credits/#accordion

Problems with tax credit system are: Over complexity. Encourages larger families. Subsidises ridiculously low wages paid by multinational employers. Typical Gordon Brown lash up.

This is my personal experience with being required to apply for Working Tax Credits in the UK in April 2008.

I was on Job Seekers being almost 59 and not wanted on voyage.

I had a forty minute interview at the Gemini Centre (They call them that!)...And it was decided that I should apply for a job of 16 hours a week (Any old job!) and I would receive £384 a week ie whatever they worked out I actually needed the system would top up my wages to that level..They decided I needed a take home pay of £384 a week (Which was true!)...

This works out to £24 an hour for a 16 hour week and all I needed was a job to get that wage!!!! The real wage would have been about £6-7 an hour.

The other qualification was that I needed tax returns for the two previous years because basically the system works by refunding your tax...

Well, I could not do that as all my tax returns were Isle of Man returns and they did not count so I did not get Working Tax Credits but I cannot have been the only one to get offered such a deal and this I suspect is the reason why it became unaffordable...plus the fact that employers were encouraged to pay silly low wages and/or hire migrants legal and otherwise.

It is a cosmetic system designed to cover up unemployment by pretending that 16 hours a week is full time work...If you get Working Tax Credits you must keep the job for a year and are penalised should you give it up...(Or get sacked)

That is how it was for me in April 2008...

And then they pulled their next trick and offered to pay my state pension plus various top ups from the age of 60 not 65 so I was quids in and I don't mean the pub on Loch Promenade..

• Like 1

There may be cases of hardship but as a whole the system is grossly over-generous and needs sorting out. Of course anyone who is in receipt will bleat at a reduction even if they don't actually need the money. It's human nature. Nobody likes to lose something they've been given for years. That doesn't mean it is right that the taxpayer should keep shelling out to the same level.

• Like 2

The taxpayer are paying a lot of fat cat former civil servants that much per week in pension.

Our society has plenty of money but obviously those that control it are going to keep it for themselves. A big car and a couple of expensive holidays per year for the rest of their lives doesn't come cheap.

• Like 2

The taxpayer are paying a lot of fat cat former civil servants that much per week in pension.

Our society has plenty of money but obviously those that control it are going to keep it for themselves. A big car and a couple of expensive holidays per year for the rest of their lives doesn't come cheap.

Agreed. The whole system is beyond broken.

• Like 2