Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Augustus

Douglas East By-election 2016

I see that Mr. Joughin is quoted on iomtoday.com claiming that the close result was attributable to the high quality of the candidates who stood. "They all did very well". Yes, so well in fact that huge swathes of the electorate ignored them completely and didn't vote. I'm impressed that Joughin has achieved Tynwald level bullshit production after only one sitting.

Genetic?

I see that Mr. Joughin is quoted on iomtoday.com claiming that the close result was attributable to the high quality of the candidates who stood. "They all did very well". Yes, so well in fact that huge swathes of the electorate ignored them completely and didn't vote. I'm impressed that Joughin has achieved Tynwald level bullshit production after only one sitting.

Genetic?

Good point. Almost certainly so.

Platitudes to match Geoff Corkish. Of course they didn't all do well. The turnout was abysmal and with his low vote he shouldn't be allowed to sit in the House of Keys and 'represent' people.

It also gave Bell the opportunity to claim that it was confirmation that the Island didn't want Party Politics. 70% of the Electorate in the area didn't vote. I think that's more of a confirmation that the vast majority don't give a toss Mr Bell. Make it illegal not to vote, the alternative if it carries on this way will be no- one voting. What is the trend on voting in General / Local Elections over the last 20 years since our ' economic miracle ' anyway. I assume the figures exist, or are they among Tears 'sensitive ' issues. YOU DONT NEED TO KNOW.

Genetic?

Sorry, but that is not fair at all.

You can't tar them all with the same brush.

Jon is not too bright and should never be in any position of power. Those that voted for him have dumped on us all.

But it's still not OK to blacken the whole family.

Genetic?

Jon is not too bright and should never be in any position of power. Those that voted for him have dumped on us all.

I wasn't actually intending to blacken the whole family, just acknowledge the comment ventured by GD, which seemed amusingly facetious but not openly nasty, but apologies if you feel that's OTT (Uhtred....apologising for OTT....whatever next?!). Mind you, I agree 100% with your assessment of Jon J and the assembly of halfwits who put their crosses in his box.

• Like 2

When ooor Jon was a postman all those years the most you could say of him was that he was a taciturn twerp.

When you forced more than a "uh, hello" out of him, you could see why he kept his mouth tightly closed and his eyes peeled to the ground in front of his steps.

The fact that he is now a National Politician and Legislator with 159 votes to his name says everything...everything...about our Island.

• Like 6

Genetic?

Genetic is probably the wrong term, it is the wrong term.

Environmental and Cultural would be a better description. All he's doing is maintaining a tradition...

• Like 2

There was a vote for the suspension of Standing Orders in the House of Keys last week, to allow two final questions to be answered. These questions were about the increase in cost of Manx Telecom line rental and Gas prices in relation to the Isle of Man.

These were the votes against ie. to not allow the questions to be answered at that sitting:

Mr Bell

Mr Gawne

Mr Joughin
Mr Robertshaw

Mr Ronan

Mr Skelly

Mr Watterson

The other 15 voted for the motion but 17 votes were needed.

It looks like Mr Joughin, the new MHK for Douglas East is making himself popular with the big boys.

The lad is surely Ministerial material

Edited by gettafa

Platitudes to match Geoff Corkish. Of course they didn't all do well. The turnout was abysmal and with his low vote he shouldn't be allowed to sit in the House of Keys and 'represent' people.

>The turnout was abysmal and with his low vote he shouldn't be allowed to sit in the House of Keys and 'represent' people.

There's a case to be made for the electorate not voting due to:-
a) The candidates weren't up to snuff.
b) The electorate don't need representing at Tynwald.
So why not drop the seats that can't raise a sufficient % of the electorate and combine with another local seat?
Or make voting day as a bank holiday and you have to vote to qualify. w00t.gif
TBT.
  • Like 1

Only c.2500 voters registered, terrible weather, lots of flat dwellers and a very transient population. Coupled with the fact that there was only ten months to go until the General Election, it was a waste of time and money.

How about, "The electorate have simply given up almost all faith and hope in what and who's on offer and what is being done in the electorate's name"?

• Like 2

How about, "The electorate have simply given up almost all faith and hope in what and who's on offer and what is being done in the electorate's name"?

I'm in that category in Douglas East. On the voters list but really couldn't be arsed one bit to vote for someone to represent my interests for 10 months. They would have been better doing nothing. Or, being proactive, given that the election was around the bonfire celebrations they could have got a couple of the usual urchins hanging round outside Howard's Store and given them £50 to elect their crappy guy into Keys for 10 months. Appointing a Man United shirt stuffed with newspaper with a balloon for a head would have been just as effective as who actually got in.

Removed my post....I fucked up the editing and got fed up trying to fix it!!

Sorry.

Back to the ironing!

Edited by Uhtred

If you hadn't, you would have today after listening to Fast Eddie on Present Politics