Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Augustus

Douglas East By-election 2016

How about, "The electorate have simply given up almost all faith and hope in what and who's on offer and what is being done in the electorate's name"?

If you hadn't, you would have today after listening to Fast Eddie on Present Politics

I missed the delights of that....was any of it worth listening to? Do any of his sums add up yet? Genuine-ish question..honest

Not really...mostly just Eddie telling us Manx plebs that we're too stupid to understand what he's doing

We understand alright... he's a c**t

This stuff about not caring what MLCs, public sector pension schemes, & government payroll cost but hammering the f**k out of low earners, folks on benefits, & state pensioners has really gone too far, Teare has to go

• Like 4

Not really...mostly just Eddie telling us Manx plebs that we're too stupid to understand what he's doing

We understand alright... he's a c**t

This stuff about not caring what MLCs, public sector pension schemes, & government payroll cost but hammering the f**k out of low earners, folks on benefits, & state pensioners has really gone too far, Teare has to go

he was receiving correspondence along those lines but the police have spoilt things apparently??

Tears will be the next CM don't be uncertain of that. What the public might wish is entirely secondary. He will also most certainly want to keep the farce of Legco going. All we are in now is an investment pool and our whole economic activity will be directed to producing sufficient income to keep the Establishment ticking over; by whatever means necessary (for them).

I see that Mr. Joughin is quoted on iomtoday.com claiming that the close result was attributable to the high quality of the candidates who stood. "They all did very well". Yes, so well in fact that huge swathes of the electorate ignored them completely and didn't vote. I'm impressed that Joughin has achieved Tynwald level bullshit production after only one sitting.

Genetic?

Generic. They're all assholes,but I'm sure genes have had a role to play in delivering us a Govt with so many of them.

Edited by Lisenchuk

Just the usual horseshit. We've got churches, trade unions, business cartels associations, all sorts of professional interest groups etc., plus the post-election party formed by CoMin after each election. The Island is effectively depoliticized without parties. What can the electorate get behind and sign up to without some sort of party prospectus ? How the hell can they organize or hope to effect any policy or change through the Tynwald Handicap Stakes every five years ? Without political parties we effectively don't have any real politics - and that's why many people like it.

I heard Bell on the radio a couple of weeks back commenting on this farce and saying "the voice of democracy had spoken".

He was,as usual,talking out of his arse.

• Like 1

Ahh, man of the people again. There must be an election looming.

We'll all fall for it again I have no doubt.

He's got more chance of biting the Queen's arse than getting my vote.

Chris

When is someone going to have the bottle in government to PROPERLY tackle the PS/CS pension scheme?

You seem like the man to do it. As a knowledgable man on the subject I can give you a few pointers.

You seem to be overlooking the fact that Mr Robertshaw whilst Minister for Policy & Reform presented the Public Sector Pension Report to Tynwald with proposals on how to address or start addressing the issue. https://www.gov.im/media/1346225/copensionsworkinggroupreportfinalnov2014.pdf

It is worth quickly flicking through as it is fairly typical of the current Government, which for a long time included Robershaw, in that it presents a picture that they are doing something whilst in reality they are doing very little. Yes there are recommendations about increasing employees contributions and increasing retirement age but look at the table on page 38 which details some of the major savings. There are two options, one increases contributions by £36 million and the other by £50million. In both cases £8 million of that increase is by increased employee contributions. The big increase is in employer contributions. £28million & £42million respectively.

Looks impressive, but hang on surely the employer is IoM Government so in reality the saving to Government is purely an illusion. Basically what they have done is transfer the costs from Treasury to individual departments so they can present this as a big saving for the Treasury and make it look as if they are doing something whilst actually not actually saving Govt anything.

This has been a common practice with the current and previous Government. They frequently present as savings amounts that Govt departments no longer charge to each other. There is however no saving to Government as a saving in one department is matched by the loss of income in the other but the department making the saving can still issue a nice press release. The biggest example of this is when Treasury stopped charging interest on loans to department for capital expenditure to departments. Before the last election this "saving" was by far the largest element of the cut in costs in the revenue budget that Govt had claimed they had made. In reality the cash saving was a big fat 0.

I have yet to make up by mind about Robertshaw, I am not sure whether he is not half as clever as he likes to think he is or he is just totally disingenuous. Being charitable I hope it is the former. Certainly he appears to have a very high opinion of himself.

Sadly I think it's a mixture of all 3 of those points.

• Like 1

first keys question?

wheres the toilets?

can i use this desk to put my sweets in?

Yet more predictably, but equally as depressing, Joughin's actual first question was about....the Post Office. FFS.

• Like 1

first keys question?

wheres the toilets?

can i use this desk to put my sweets in?

Yet more predictably, but equally as depressing, Joughin's actual first question was about....the Post Office. FFS.

Was it, "Are Post Office Pensions safe....?"

• Like 3

Claire Bettison 146

Kurt Buchholz 75

Richard Falk 145

Jonathan Joughin 159

John Caley McBride 90

Geraldine O'Neill 131

Catherine Turner 108

Fuck me. 865 votes. Truly fucking woeful. And the man who won is a postie who couldn't post a letter to stay on the voters register as a town councillor. Now elevated above a town councillor. A job he lost a few months ago.

Now bidding to get back to his previous vocation as a member of the Douglas Town Council. There will undoubtedly be several sitting Councillors uncomfortable at the prospect of his return.

Jonno is certainly not MHK material but he is by no measure the worst to have sat on Douglas Council in recent times.

Link to news article:http://147-5433bc3297b05.radiocms.com/news/isle-of-man-news/joughin-seeks-council-return/

• Like 1

The Victoria Ward vacancy is because David Ashford became MHK.

What's the reason for the St Georges Ward vacancy?