Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Augustus

Douglas East By-election 2016

I've been on the polling stations today supprting Richard Falk

Turnout was dismal, probably less than a thousand

Whoever wins this will probably have the lowest mandate of any MHK

Does make me wonder if it's worth having a by-election if there's less than a year to the general election

Get yourself up for the keys next year C B you would be a shoe in, maybe you could kick some shit and smack some ass.

• Like 2

Joughin got 18.38% of the vote.

Did he deliver a speech ...?

Yep. (well interviewed by MR biggrin.png ) And it was shit

I've been on the polling stations today supprting Richard Falk

Turnout was dismal, probably less than a thousand

Whoever wins this will probably have the lowest mandate of any MHK

Does make me wonder if it's worth having a by-election if there's less than a year to the general election

Get yourself up for the keys next year C B you would be a shoe in, maybe you could kick some shit and smack some ass.

whilst blowing bubblegum

Joughin got 18.38% of the vote.

That's 18.38% of the 865 who bothered to vote, actually less than 6% of his constituents. What a total farce.

• Like 7

This really generates a genuine concern. Turnout in East Douglas has always been lamentable so it didn't look good reading the runes beforehand, but elected with 159 votes is genuinely beyond farce and a perversion of democracy. The fact that the man is demonstrably a moron (I was given a copy of his "manifesto" - oh dear lord) only makes it the more sobering. If the pitiful state - and believe me pitiful is the word - of Manx government/politics is such that we have candidates of this gruesome ineptitude across the board next September, and a fair proportion are elected, we are in serious, serious trouble. At exactly the time when we need to substantially raise the bar, this result is the diametric. Another fucking postman. Another illustration that our politics lies in ruins.

• Like 9

Joy. It clearly demonstrates - yet again - the people of Douglas clearly don't give a flying turd about who or what gets voted in...meaning the least capable buffoon gets the jo....hell aye fellas...well done yous like.

In all my life time this year sets a new level for the largest number of idiots inhabiting the "donated by tax payers" carriage onboard the Tynwald Express gravy train.

What a mess we are in.

• Like 7

It hurts me say this as a Manxman but we could we could be better served if we were part of the UK regime and had one elected member in Westminster to look after our interests. The standard of candidates prepared to stand for election in the IOM at this time is lamentable

• Like 6

Quirky and Joughin will be able to compare notes on the art of letter writing and how to deliver that perfect letter

This really generates a genuine concern. Turnout in East Douglas has always been lamentable so it didn't look good reading the runes beforehand, but elected with 159 votes is genuinely beyond farce and a perversion of democracy. The fact that the man is demonstrably a moron (I was given a copy of his "manifesto" - oh dear lord) only makes it the more sobering. If the pitiful state - and believe me pitiful is the word - of Manx government/politics is such that we have candidates of this gruesome ineptitude across the board next September, and a fair proportion are elected, we are in serious, serious trouble. At exactly the time when we need to substantially raise the bar, this result is the diametric. Another fucking postman. Another illustration that our politics lies in ruins.

So what, exactly, prevents you from standing...?

Your grasp of the language is clearly at school ma'am level and you're not exactly backward at coming forward.

So what's the story...?