Douglas East By-election 2016

Claire Bettison 146

Kurt Buchholz 75

Richard Falk 145

Jonathan Joughin 159

John Caley McBride 90

Geraldine O'Neill 131

Catherine Turner 108

Fuck me. 865 votes. Truly fucking woeful. And the man who won is a postie who couldn't post a letter to stay on the voters register as a town councillor. Now elevated above a town councillor. A job he lost a few months ago.

• Like 1

Other than the expense of the administration of the election itself, the cost of the hire of polling stations - scouts hall, church and youth centre etc, cost of returning officers - promoting of notice boards etc .................it's been an expensive exercise in democracy. Still we are used to frittering money away. It's shocking!

• Like 2

I'm surprised that there's only 3000 voters tbh. That's a tiny number of people. Time to merge constituencies. Not just swap the names.

• Like 2

This really generates a genuine concern. Turnout in East Douglas has always been lamentable so it didn't look good reading the runes beforehand, but elected with 159 votes is genuinely beyond farce and a perversion of democracy. The fact that the man is demonstrably a moron (I was given a copy of his "manifesto" - oh dear lord) only makes it the more sobering. If the pitiful state - and believe me pitiful is the word - of Manx government/politics is such that we have candidates of this gruesome ineptitude across the board next September, and a fair proportion are elected, we are in serious, serious trouble. At exactly the time when we need to substantially raise the bar, this result is the diametric. Another fucking postman. Another illustration that our politics lies in ruins.

So what, exactly, prevents you from standing...?

Your grasp of the language is clearly at school ma'am level and you're not exactly backward at coming forward.

So what's the story...?

I'm too old and it's too long since I was I was involved in the workplace. We need more youthful, yet relatively experienced, MHKs with a good grasp of issues affecting the whole community and viewing a horizon that's further off than the parochial limits of the current crop. And I'm not a Freemason.

• Like 1

Quite frankly, if we had the right calibre of people standing, we could manage this Island more effectively with 10/12 MHKs. Then, they wouldn't have time to dick about wasting time on stupid and pointless pissing contests, because they would need to spend every minute focussed on the real issues of the day.

• Like 1

Quite frankly, if we had the right calibre of people standing, we could manage this Island more effectively with 10/12 MHKs. Then, they wouldn't have time to dick about wasting time on stupid and pointless pissing contests, because they would need to spend every minute focussed on the real issues of the day.

This is exactly what should happen. The number of MHK's should be reduced and the salary doubled. Given that most UK constituencies consist of more than 60,000, there is no reason that 2500 should be represented by one person

Then you would get people of the right calibre standing.

Last night was a fecking joke, and if it is an indication of what is to come next year, then we are seriously in the shit.

Thinking that 30% was a decent enough turnout due to the weather is nonsense.

What I would be interested in knowing is why people didn't go to vote and what can be done to stop this lethargy.

There must be some on here that didn't bother, perhaps they could share why ? (not judging biggrin.png )

Well I know I can speak for quite a few.

Atthe last generla election they voted, including some for the first time imtheir lives, for Chris Robertshaw. They have since vowed they would never vote again, ever'

And that , my dear Jess Tickle,is a fact

I suspect that doubling the salary would just double the number of candidates in it simply to get their noses in the trough of government largesse.

Edit- poor grammar.

Edited by P.K.

I think they should start having a "reserve" number of votes necessary to be elected......if you dont get say 33% of the registered votes in a constituency then you run it again until you do.

Culling the number of available seats too would seem a logical step. Why does Douglas even have an East and West representative...its hardly Metropolisville!

If you reduce the number of Keys members it concentrates the power in COMIN. If there were 12 MHKs, COMIN would only need to be 7 members strong to force through whatever they wanted. Often it is COMIN members that would survive if it was all one -seaters : for example Cannell, Beecroft, Singer would have lost out to Robershaw, Cretney and Bell last time.