Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Augustus

Douglas East By-election 2016

To be honest Bees, if they gave you Boot Advantage points for turning up at a polling booth they'd get more than 900 people turning up.

Is that how Baron Boot got elected?

• Like 1

A few years agi there was a council candidate in UK who put a fiver in with each of his posted manifestos.

For an Isle of Man candidate, who is going to get paid at least £250,000 for the next 5 years it would be well worth putting, say £10 or £20 with the manifesto in the hope of getting whatever is needed in that constituency to get in, maybe 1000 votes.

So even for Douglas East this time, an outlay of a couple of grand could make a nice little earner of £30k or so. Plus lots of invites to dinners and all that palava and you get to swagger about the place as if you were the bees knees.

I know it all sounds a bit Busterish, but when it comes to getting someone elected there is no bounds to the tricks some of these characters could get up to.

• Like 2

A new word enters the lexicon, Busterish, defined as 'being a bit dodgy and suspect'.

• Like 2

A few years agi there was a council candidate in UK who put a fiver in with each of his posted manifestos.

For an Isle of Man candidate, who is going to get paid at least £250,000 for the next 5 years it would be well worth putting, say £10 or £20 with the manifesto in the hope of getting whatever is needed in that constituency to get in, maybe 1000 votes.

So even for Douglas East this time, an outlay of a couple of grand could make a nice little earner of £30k or so. Plus lots of invites to dinners and all that palava and you get to swagger about the place as if you were the bees knees.

I know it all sounds a bit Busterish, but when it comes to getting someone elected there is no bounds to the tricks some of these characters could get up to.

If it came from Buster I would check to see if it were dry yet.

• Like 2

What's a bag of coal? £20?

My figures were about right then.

... the ones who dish this out should consider what a pathetic picture they present to the populace...

The populace, in general, aren't the slightest bit interested Manx politics so no worries there.

• Like 1

I was a disappointed to discover this post on FB from my new MHK. I know that Britain First use deception to get re-posts and likes, and I hope that this is the explanation in this instance. Assuming this was the case, I would have hoped for more nous from someone standing as one of our elected representatives.

post-19747-0-67623500-1447582959_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

.... I would have hoped for more nous from someone standing as one of our elected representatives.

You simply don't know your new MHK. I'm not being unkind I hope, just stating fact - he doesn't do nous.

• Like 1

Britain first? Hahahahahhaa he's a beaut! People keep saying he's stupid, they might be right. Awe Britain First bahahahahhaa!

• Like 1

Britain first? Hahahahahhaa he's a beaut! People keep saying he's stupid, they might be right!

Completely redundant use of the phrase "they might be right".

• Like 2

I'm worried about his judgement, if this is an example it should be interesting the next 10 months.

Also where he says to the paper "I will use the next 10 months to connect with the people", is that it then, a 10 month election campaign paid for by us, the suffering public?

Is he actually going to do anything?

Still, someone has to keep the radio and paper busy now Quirk has vanished.