General Election 2016 - Funding The Economy

Donald Trumps

On a quick reading it seems to involve scrapping or restricting the need for work permits, giving money to people to set up here and giving money to people who get people to set up here following a similar idea in Ireland.

And giving Tax Holidays to anyone who will come here. Nearly everything the Government try , has been tried in England previously ( or on occasion Ireland ) I have not heard the ever popular anti Tourism quote ' nobody comes to places like the IOM anymore, they all go to Spain ' from any potential MHKs as yet. A comment trotted out by Government and certain sectors of our economy to excuse the decimation of an industry , that gladly is slowly recovering , despite Govs lack of interest

Would anyone agree with me that - rather than wait years & years for the private sector to come up with economic development projects & chuck EDF money at them - the new government might perhaps follow Canada and initiate a Green Tech Development Foundation to originate environmentally friendly high technology developments, then allow them to become private or community enterprises with a financial return to the community?

Sustainable Development Technology Canada website

https://www.sdtc.ca/en

Edited by Donald Trumps

• 2 weeks later...

A post by JackCarter in Down South: "The wider public sector has been looking after itself on taxpayer cash for years and has created a completely unsustainable economy."

I think he's right

No candidates have so far suggested a realignment of the economy, or a complete re-organisation of the CS/PS

Why not?

• Like 1

A post by JackCarter in Down South: "The wider public sector has been looking after itself on taxpayer cash for years and has created a completely unsustainable economy."

I think he's right

No candidates have so far suggested a realignment of the economy, or a complete re-organisation of the CS/PS

Why not?

I'm glad you picked up that it was a genuine comment and concern and not just positioning a dig. I genuinely believe it's the fundamental flaw in any DD system here and actually why DD is downright dangerous as even a proposition for the IOM at this time. We have a structural problem, and people go on about us needing a sustainable economy but such an economy cannot be achieved without us properly aligning our spending with our tax receipts and other income (and then actually getting our longer term liabilities like pension debts down in a meaningful way). Doing away with zero rate tax might sound good to those who lean to the left but too much employment currently centres on that model; and it's what has brought big players like Pokerstars and Micro Gaming here amongst a lot of other financial and e-gaming businesses. The Island has little other advantages to offer people to move here (we don't even have that nice a quality of life here in my opinion now) so the tax model is going to have to remain the same give or take no matter how much the left leaning might not like that as it's an underpin. A flimsy underpin maybe but if anyone remembers the late 1970s and early 1980s here that's what we'd have now without our low tax strategy.

So how do you right-size the economy without sending the public sector into a tailspin? Well in reality you probably can't which is why I'm firmly against giving it any more control as nothing will change until the last 1p is sat in reserves. We know that to be a fact as, to date, nothing has changed. I've seen the same issues in some private businesses as well. Invariably you bring in external people to do the difficult stuff as they have no baggage and no personal relationships they need to preserve and you just run the numbers and do what needs doing. Politically though how do you create the catalyst? I would suggest a credible party that is committed to proper reform/change (economic and social) and which actively campaigns for change; but evolutionary change not revolutionary change as I believe that we genuinely are all in it together (despite that being the most pointless sound bite of recent years as it's an empty statement on governments side). Nobody wants to see mass redundancies and public sector benefit slashing; but they do want to see something tangible happening to right-size our economy because otherwise those changes are just going to end up being enforced by circumstances 5-10 years down the line anyway and the impact will be a damn sight worse than if we act now in a measured but meaningful way. At least a party championing for, and demanding, proper reform of government and proper change would be a good start. Not the 60% of the population who rely on government in one way or another for their pay, pension, or contract, being asked what changes they want implemented and all of them saying "None, were really happy living in unsustainability land for another couple of years. Thanks". That simply won't work.

Either that .. or the last 1p gets spent and I'll be in a mob burning down Keys and waving a pitchfork in the face of anyone who will listen and telling them that we should have done this years ago because they're all a bunch of bastards!

• Like 2

Well, I am campaigning for proper reform of policy making in government and a different approach to economic reform & development

& I'm trying to do it in the space that would be occupied by a nationalist social democratic party like the SNP - if we had one

The changes imminent in the world economy suggestion loss of jobs on a large scale over the next two decades

Increasing the islands working population is pointless, outside of developing career paths for our brightest young to develop our digital hi-tech economy on behalf of the nation as a whole

I suggest using a modest percentage of the NI reserve to trial investment in green/clean hi tech to see the returns that could be achieved - surely greater than those available on investment markets?

Well, I am campaigning for proper reform of policy making in government and a different approach to economic reform & development

& I'm trying to do it in the space that would be occupied by a nationalist social democratic party like the SNP - if we had one

The changes imminent in the world economy suggestion loss of jobs on a large scale over the next two decades

Increasing the islands working population is pointless, outside of developing career paths for our brightest young to develop our digital hi-tech economy on behalf of the nation as a whole

I suggest using a modest percentage of the NI reserve to trial investment in green/clean hi tech to see the returns that could be achieved - surely greater than those available on investment markets?

I think a social democrat label is a helpful one; it should be about both social and economic reform. You wouldn't want to be too far to the left or the right. And nationalist definitely. We need to start being proud of being Manx again and reposition what being Manx means.

On green energy I don't believe we'd have to fund to any significant degree. There are enough companies and investment consortiums out there looking for opportunities in small offshore nations like ours. Here a consortium that's done a deal with the Alderney Government that says it will be functional by 2020.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-guernsey-26969487

http://en.dcnsgroup.com/news/openhydro-and-alderney-renewable-energy-are-forge-joint-venture-to-develop-major-european-tidal-array/

As I understand it they just created the right investment climate (tax free, government support, sensible licensing and leasing deals) and the right links were coming on stream to enable them to export the power to other areas (theyre about to link up with the French grid). If we were smart on our feet it wouldn't need a huge cash injection from reserves or anywhere else. However I would say that the MEA being government owned would be the blocker for us as they would inevitably want to own and control everything. Not concede power or influence to a private investment group. It's very do-able though I would suggest. But again it's highly likely that the civil servants vanity and need for control would get in the way of any reasonable deal being cut. It's always going to be the case. Civil servants would rather 100% manage failure, than capture part of someone else's success.

It is a good idea without question though.

Edited by JackCarter
  • Like 2

I think a social democrat label is a helpful one; it should be about both social and economic reform. You wouldn't want to be too far to the left or the right. And nationalist definitely. We need to start being proud of being Manx again and reposition what being Manx means.

On green energy I don't believe we'd have to fund to any significant degree. There are enough companies and investment consortiums out there looking for opportunities in small offshore nations like ours. Here a consortium that's done a deal with the Alderney Government that says it will be functional by 2020.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-guernsey-26969487

http://en.dcnsgroup.com/news/openhydro-and-alderney-renewable-energy-are-forge-joint-venture-to-develop-major-european-tidal-array/

As I understand it they just created the right investment climate (tax free, government support, sensible licensing and leasing deals) and the right links were coming on stream to enable them to export the power to other areas (theyre about to link up with the French grid). If we were smart on our feet it wouldn't need a huge cash injection from reserves or anywhere else. However I would say that the MEA being government owned would be the blocker for us as they would inevitably want to own and control everything. Not concede power or influence to a private investment group. It's very do-able though I would suggest. But again it's highly likely that the civil servants vanity and need for control would get in the way of any reasonable deal being cut. It's always going to be the case. Civil servants would rather 100% manage failure, than capture part of someone else's success.

It is a good idea without question though.

You seem a very sensible person

Why are you beating up on Scampi? He's doing a good job

Anyway, I'll be starting a campaign for this once the general election is over

Mr Thomas needs a thorn in his side

I plan to be it!