Distilled Water does not exist on this island.

Colm

..............sounds interesting. What do you want it for?

Its to cool a CO2 laser. Water having amazing thermal properties, The laser tube has Aluminium parts that come in contact with the coolant and then there is the coolant pump... I'm not sure what metals that has inside but I'm not taking any risks. Other than that it seems most of the coolants loop is plastic and rubber. Just need a large volume of distilled water and then we can get cutting... its been 3 weeks just looking at the damn machine and not getting a single chance to play with it yet. Being stuck on a island does cause a lot of problems for my hobdies sad.png

WOW............makes my pillar drill seem just a bit obsolete.ermm.gif

Dilligaf you are my hero! I believe they use it to brew IPA so i think you might have saved the day. Will give them a call tomorrow

cheers

I might have got the wrong end of the stick, but I'm not sure that's what Dilligaf meant.

I have to confess that my tongue was firmly in my cheek. Sorry Colm. flowers.gif

• Like 1

Its to cool a CO2 laser. Water having amazing thermal properties, The laser tube has Aluminium parts that come in contact with the coolant... sad.png

Won't de-ionised (and polished) water (<0.05uS/cm-2) be fine for that???

de-ionised water is highly corrosive to metals... been advised not to let it near anything metal :( Will chase up anyone who faffs with steam turbines and see what they have to say cheers buddy

A friend got in touch and told me he had a small distilling machine from ebay. 4L in less than 6 hours. Was a route i could take but getting 25L of medical grade sealed and shipped to my door was what i was after. Guess its plan B if all else fails.

Its to cool a CO2 laser. Water having amazing thermal properties, The laser tube has Aluminium parts that come in contact with the coolant and then there is the coolant pump... I'm not sure what metals that has inside but I'm not taking any risks. Other than that it seems most of the coolants loop is plastic and rubber. Just need a large volume of distilled water and then we can get cutting... its been 3 weeks just looking at the damn machine and not getting a single chance to play with it yet. Being stuck on a island does cause a lot of problems for my hobdies sad.png

You cant work metal on our laser cutter or drill holes/square up taps/reworks large parts. If someone would sell me a garage i would throw a pillar drill right in there. Shame there is no market for 2nd hand british machines on this island sad.png

EDIT - The laser cutter is being operated in my friends spare bedroom. I convinced my dad to let me set up a lathe in his garage after selling my motor bike but wont let me put a mill in. Just cant find a garage :(

Edited by Colm
  • Like 1

You cant work metal on our laser cutter or drill holes/square up taps/reworks large parts. If someone would sell me a garage i would throw a pillar drill right in there. Shame there is no market for 2nd hand british machines on this island sad.png

EDIT - The laser cutter is being operated in my friends spare bedroom. I convinced my dad to let me set up a lathe in his garage after selling my motor bike but wont let me put a mill in. Just cant find a garage sad.png

I know a chap who used lasers in his business, he was fault finding one time and had the covers off and accidentally put a hole in a car door parked outside the works :lol:

EDIT - The laser cutter is being operated in my friends spare bedroom. I convinced my dad to let me set up a lathe in his garage after selling my motor bike but wont let me put a mill in. Just cant find a garage sad.png

This is why the Isle of Man needs maker-spaces like in America, where locals can use a common workshop with lots of machining and technical facilities. But on the Isle of Man where even the most crumbling shack is apparently a "development opportunity" for freeloading hovel-builders and commands unrealistic value, it's not likely.

The court house in Ramsey would have been an interesting option. But apparently someone sold it.....

You can buy water distillers on ebay. Like this one at an unusually low price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291380113186

These seem to have a wide pricing range due to being sold as "vodka distillers" or health devices by other sellers.

But best to buy your own adapter eh? thumbsup.gif

Adaptor? I see the listing mentions both 110V and 220V versions. The 220V will be fine on our supply as it's just a heating element inside and a low power motor on top with lots of cooling.

You can buy water distillers on ebay. Like this one at an unusually low price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291380113186

These seem to have a wide pricing range due to being sold as "vodka distillers" or health devices by other sellers.

But best to buy your own adapter eh? thumbsup.gif

Adaptor? I see the listing mentions both 110V and 220V versions. The 220V will be fine on our supply as it's just a heating element inside and a low power motor on top with lots of cooling.

It was only meant to be a joke, after watching your videos on Youtube

BTW the "bench testing" you did on that warrior doll (f...y flameboux or something) was mental.ohmy.png

• Like 1