Abortion

HeliX

OK, let's clear up some terminology.

The original, medical term for Down's syndrome was 'Mongoloid idiot' (shortened to 'Mong'). Mongoloid because of the similarity to the facial features (epicanthic folds) with asiatic races, and idiot because that was the official term for those with severe intellectual impairment (the others being imbecile - moderate intellectual impairment - and moron - mild intellectual impairment)

Like many medical terms to do with intellectual or physical disability, they became derogatory, and then offensive, and then were changed. Spastic being a case in point - cerebral palsy being the modern term, and the Spastics Society changing its name to 'Scope'. Similarly how retarded became educationally subnormal became learning difficulties became special needs. And now 'special' is used as a term to take the piss.

Yes. Crazy stuff over simple words. Another one that changed its name for the modern delicate taste was the Cripples Help Society.

Again, everyone is getting highly excited over words.

@ Gee Cee: I have some sympathy over inconsistency in moderation. I don't know why John locked your thread either. When he said someone had threatened to sue I went through the thread to see what could possibly have caused such affront to provoke litigation. I genuinely wondered whether he had locked the wrong thread. Clearly I am missing something.

Was it not a ref. to gubay ?

Do they have lawyers there?

• Like 1

The original, medical term for Down's syndrome was 'Mongoloid idiot' (shortened to 'Mong'). Mongoloid because of the similarity to the facial features (epicanthic folds) with asiatic races, and idiot because that was the official term for those with severe intellectual impairment (the others being imbecile - moderate intellectual impairment - and moron - mild intellectual impairment)

Like many medical terms to do with intellectual or physical disability, they became derogatory, and then offensive, and then were changed. Spastic being a case in point - cerebral palsy being the modern term, and the Spastics Society changing its name to 'Scope'. Similarly how retarded became educationally subnormal became learning difficulties became special needs. And now 'special' is used as a term to take the piss.

Tame's use of downer and general comments are no worse than Dilligafs support of the word Mong and his general mocking in that thread. Only this time he feigns mock indignation for Tame having expressed similar views himself not that long ago. What a two-faced twat.

Edited by GaryPotter
  • Like 1

t

Of course we shouldn't let Downers be born if we can prevent it. It just brings suffering to all involved. There is no cure for being a Downer.

Denmark has all but eliminated Downers being brought to term, which is fantastic. It doesn't need to be a hard question: simply ask parents do you yourself want to bring a spaztard Down into the world and deal with it, if you knowingly were told your unborn baby was going to be a Down and it could be stopped before becoming a problem.

If they say yes, well, let it happen, it's on them. Most (like in Denmark) say no.

I think that is the most vile and hurtful post I have ever read on Manx Forums. What possessed you to write that ? Do you thrive on the attention ?

Do you not know anybody with a Downs child or have you never worked with anyone born with Downs Syndrome ?

Loser.

Takes one to know one - asshole.

It's worth following your comments in this thread for a page or so before you try to pull off the horrified poster routine. Especially your support of the word 'mong' ..

http://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/60930-criticism-deterring-candidates/?p=1103849

This is quite telling also

http://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/60930-criticism-deterring-candidates/?p=1103856

Oh and this is a classic

http://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/60930-criticism-deterring-candidates/?p=1103863

And Mr Sausages comments sum it up really

http://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/60930-criticism-deterring-candidates/?p=1103864

As I'm sure most people know, the word "mong" as used today is NOT a reference to Downs Syndrome at all and is just a term for a fool. I can assure you that there is NOTHING funny about downs at all and you will not see me making fun.

Maybe you should re-read the text you are quoting from and try to see what is actually being said Tarne. whatever.gif

t

Of course we shouldn't let Downers be born if we can prevent it. It just brings suffering to all involved. There is no cure for being a Downer.

Denmark has all but eliminated Downers being brought to term, which is fantastic. It doesn't need to be a hard question: simply ask parents do you yourself want to bring a spaztard Down into the world and deal with it, if you knowingly were told your unborn baby was going to be a Down and it could be stopped before becoming a problem.

If they say yes, well, let it happen, it's on them. Most (like in Denmark) say no.

I think that is the most vile and hurtful post I have ever read on Manx Forums. What possessed you to write that ? Do you thrive on the attention ?

Do you not know anybody with a Downs child or have you never worked with anyone born with Downs Syndrome ?

Loser.

Takes one to know one - asshole.

It's worth following your comments in this thread for a page or so before you try to pull off the horrified poster routine. Especially your support of the word 'mong' ..http://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/60930-criticism-deterring-candidates/?p=1103849

This is quite telling alsohttp://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/60930-criticism-deterring-candidates/?p=1103856

Oh and this is a classichttp://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/60930-criticism-deterring-candidates/?p=1103863

And Mr Sausages comments sum it up reallyhttp://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/60930-criticism-deterring-candidates/?p=1103864

As I'm sure most people know, the word "mong" as used today is NOT a reference to Downs Syndrome at all and is just a term for a fool. I can assure you that there is NOTHING funny about downs at all and you will not see me making fun.

Maybe you should re-read the text you are quoting from and try to see what is actually being said Tarne. :whatever:

Maybe you should realize you've been found out you two-faced twat. That thread was full of disgraceful comments by you about people with disabilities. You certainly have the face for radio don't you Dilligaf.

Tame's use of downer and general comments are no worse than Dilligafs support of the word Mong and his general mocking in that thread. Only this time he feigns mock indignation for Tame having expressed similar views himself not that long ago. What a two-faced twat.

I have never mocked the disabled either physical or mental. I have worked with people Downs Syndrome and have a close family member who has worked with them for years.

We have friends with a downs child and I've had neighbours with a downs child, so don't get all fucking clever trying to turn the tables on me.

I am mocking NOBODY.

You need help.

Edited by dilligaf

That is very odd as a lot of people seem to prefer the posts of

Gee Cee

Llap

Manxtaxpayer

rmanx, TJ and

occupyatholstreet

In preference to any of those.

There seems to be a whole thread of pointless multiple sock puppet paranoia ending in a moderators block.

http://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/61287-is-this-forum-being-moderated-properly/

Edited by Manxcrabbe