Real people and real organisations suffered financially yeaterday based on the advice to stay at home and there was no need.

Real people make decisions for themselves and take responsibility for their own actions.

And will these ' real people ' as you call them, accept the consequences if the Insurance Companies refuse to pay out if something happens to you. I sympathies with the Police and others who are given the job of trying to protect us, when there are those whose attitude is, ' we know better '

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The flooding that I've seen this afternoon/evening is the worst I've ever seen, areas wise. Parliament Square in Ramsey at least partly closed to traffic with barriers and under about a foot of water.

The DOI rebuilt Peel Road, it floods. They rebuilt the roundabout past B&Q, it now floods, fine style. They rebuilt Brandish corner and the water runs straight across it (nice black ice risk there

Just pray you don't need to get to Noble's in a hurry . You won't be laughing then.

Posted Images

Nail on the head.

People were advised to stay home for their own good, not TOLD to stay in.

manxie44 is spot on.

Disagree sorry.

Giving a weather forecast and advising a risk of strong winds, travel disruption etc is sufficient and people make their own minds up if they should make their journey or not.

The police "advising" people to stay home unless the journey is essential or life or death give the public the impression that's it is not fit to go out at all.

I know people who didn't attend events in Dougkas who only live five minutes away. The Villa was closed for gods sake and an event cancelled.

Go and do a straw poll of retailers and ask how their takings yesterday compare to the first Friday of Last December.

I appreciate saying these things probably makes life easier for the Police, it just doesn't seem that from their government desks there is much thought given to the knock on effect.

Did the Police advice include that "life or death" bit ??

There is more to life than the ringing of shop tills you know.

manxie's post is 100% correct.

I believe Mr Flint used the life or death line on Manx radio.

If we can sue for not being warned it might be a bit windy are the police going to advise us all not to travel and cancel events every time the temperature drops below freezing? If the wind yesterday had been forecast to be 5mp lower would that be OK to travel? Where's the cut off? It's stupid.

And yeah there is more to life blah blah but many in retail are struggling enough, they don't need a government announcement making things harder than they need to be

So your advice to families and individuals would be to ignore warnings from the Police etc and go shopping. I sympathise with the retailers , it's rotten luck, as it is for all sorts of others with events that were cancelled. This attitude can also mean that the Police may be required to help those who have ignored their warnings , at the expense of people with real flooding problems.

Interesting that on the one hand you have the Police advising you not to travel unless absolutely necessary but on the other you have the busses running as normal. So much for joined up Government. I think as with a lot of things these days the warnings were more about ass covering than any genuine concern for people's safety.

It's only ' ass covering ' because of the masses who believe that ' IF THERES BLAME THERS A CLAIM '. They have created the problems for themselves, AND THE REST OF US.

It wasn't fit to go anywhere on Saturday. Awful day.

I'm not sure it was bad enough to only go out if it was "life or death" but there was certainly no real reason to be out shopping. Plenty of days left for that.

My bigger concern in that sort of weather is slates coming off roofs.

• Like 1

The Villa was closed for gods sake and an event cancelled.

Go and do a straw poll of retailers and ask how their takings yesterday compare to the first Friday of Last December.

I appreciate saying these things probably makes life easier for the Police, it just doesn't seem that from their government desks there is much thought given to the knock on effect.

+ 1

I was out in Friday having a few beers with some local business owners. Everyone seemed sick of the shite being pumped out on Twitter by the Police. Staff hassling them perpetually to go home before armageddon hits, people on the phone all the time with family asking them if they were ok because they'd read another piece of shite on Twitter about some road maybe being closed or some wind somewhere. People worrying that shops and venues were being closed and should they leave early to panic buy 36 months supply of baked beans. I'm sorry but a lot of it simply is not needed. In fact a lot of it is just a load of arse covering shite that creates panic for no real reason whatsover. If you're driving home and a road is closed you just find alternative route when you get to the road that is closed. It's not that difficult. There is no need to fill people's lives with panic through rapidly banged out Twitter and Facebook announcements. It's also sad, however, that people are so brain dead that they live their lives by Twitter and Facebook these days. Think for yourself - if you get to a road that's closed you will see a "Road Closed" sign. You will then have to use another road. You don't need to plan your route home by Twitter 4 hours before you are due to do home.

Have to agree generally , but so many people live their lives with their heads buried in a ' device ' these days, that you can understand that they believe everything on them, and can't function without their ' Pads ' advice. It's very sad, but one thing that the internet does not seem to cover in any great detail is ' common sense '

+ 1

I was out in Friday having a few beers with some local business owners. Everyone seemed sick of the shite being pumped out on Twitter by the Police. Staff hassling them perpetually to go home before armageddon hits, people on the phone all the time with family asking them if they were ok because they'd read another piece of shite on Twitter about some road maybe being closed or some wind somewhere. People worrying that shops and venues were being closed and should they leave early to panic buy 36 months supply of baked beans. I'm sorry but a lot of it simply is not needed. In fact a lot of it is just a load of arse covering shite that creates panic for no real reason whatsover. If you're driving home and a road is closed you just find alternative route when you get to the road that is closed. It's not that difficult. There is no need to fill people's lives with panic through rapidly banged out Twitter and Facebook announcements. It's also sad, however, that people are so brain dead that they live their lives by Twitter and Facebook these days. Think for yourself - if you get to a road that's closed you will see a "Road Closed" sign. You will then have to use another road. You don't need to plan your route home by Twitter 4 hours before you are due to do home.

Have to agree generally , but so many people live their lives with their heads buried in a ' device ' these days, that you can understand that they believe everything on them, and can't function without their ' Pads ' advice. It's very sad, but one thing that the internet does not seem to cover in any great detail is ' common sense '

Video of Hills Meadow: http://www.manx.net/tv/mt-tv/watch/75291/flooding-hills-meadow?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=twitterfeed

As the boys say, they'll never get insurance at realistic rates again.

Sad news piece. It doesn't matter whether 1 or 2 man bands, it's still a business - investing in the community. Don't count on support from Tynpotwald at all - Teare will be scratching behind the sofa for loose change to pay for the flood damage - apparently so I have been led to believe IOM Govt is 'self insured' because they didn't want to pay out for premiums.

Still you can bet your bottom dollar that if it affects the TT either infrastructure or course - money is no object. Businesses can go to hell in a handcart. Perhaps the £50m piggy bank should be raided for support for local businesses before they have to close and make people redundant.

I thought that was what our ' Piggy Bank' was for - just this sort of situation, ( which looks as if it's going to happen with increased regularity ) not to encourage another influx of Banks, with the associate mass of new , Lawyers, Solicitors, Accountants. We now have many many people and Businesses that are already here, and desperately need help. Meanwhile Bell and Teare wish to help the Islands infrastructure by introducing 1500 new houses ( with at least 1500 extra cars ) , on to roads already falling apart, and which the Government can't afford to repair. Get your priorities right B&T and look after what we have. And just resurface the Prom.

• Like 1

+ 1

Video of Hills Meadow: http://www.manx.net/tv/mt-tv/watch/75291/flooding-hills-meadow?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=twitterfeed

Sad news piece. It doesn't matter whether 1 or 2 man bands, it's still a business - investing in the community. Don't count on support from Tynpotwald at all - Teare will be scratching behind the sofa for loose change to pay for the flood damage - apparently so I have been led to believe IOM Govt is 'self insured' because they didn't want to pay out for premiums.

Still you can bet your bottom dollar that if it affects the TT either infrastructure or course - money is no object. Businesses can go to hell in a handcart. Perhaps the £50m piggy bank should be raided for support for local businesses before they have to close and make people redundant.

I thought that was what our ' Piggy Bank' was for - just this sort of situation, ( which looks as if it's going to happen with increased regularity ) not to encourage another influx of Banks, with the associate mass of new , Lawyers, Solicitors, Accountants. We now have many many people and Businesses that are already here, and desperately need help. Meanwhile Bell and Teare wish to help the Islands infrastructure by introducing 1500 new houses ( with at least 1500 extra cars ) , on to roads already falling apart, and which the Government can't afford to repair. Get your priorities right B&T and look after what we have. And just resurface the Prom.

Just a quick one about the TT Course. If the TT / MGP were to be lost, do you really think the TT Course roads would be maintained to the standard they are today ? They would end up the same as the rest of the Island, and the Mountain Road would probably end up nothing more than a track, it would not be important, there are two other ways to Ramsey

I feel sorry for those at Hills Meadow due to the incompetence of Phil Gawne and others but the clue is in the name of the Estate.

Pathetic, another excuse to have a pop at Phil Gawne. It's the CM and ' block vote ' that have seen to it that ' manual staff ' have been greatly reduced, with the resultant state of the roads / infrastructure. Most of the reduction has been due to the incessant whining from sections of the Public about Government ' overstaffing ' . Be careful what you ask for. The use ( by some in Government ) of Phil Gawne to handle this Poison Challice has plainly got through to the Islands gullible.

• Like 2

The weather folk said lots of rain. We had lots of rain. The bad drainage and topography arent anything to do with the weather forecasters

The end of the report on the front page of last week's Examiner (highlighted) suggested that things were calming down. Whereas, as we now know, Thursday was the the worst day for rain. As I said before, I do appreciate that weather is hardly an exact science, but anyone reading this article would have believe that it was all over by Wednesday evening:

post-35905-0-03274700-1449487716_thumb.jpg

The weather folk said lots of rain. We had lots of rain. The bad drainage and topography arent anything to do with the weather forecasters

The end of the report on the front page of last week's Examiner (highlighted) suggested that things were calming down. Whereas, as we now know, Thursday was the the worst day for rain. As I said before, I do appreciate that weather is hardly an exact science, but anyone reading this article would have believe that it was all over by Wednesday evening:

attachicon.gif20151201-07 IME Storms2.jpg

Yes but that front page was printed 3 weeks ago in Bangalore and has spent the last 2 weeks in transit to the IOM.

+ 1

Went to Tesco's yesterday, they must have been panic buying the day before, yes we have no bananas, some shelves were empty, but all it takes is for the boats to fail to sail, and into the shops with a big trolly, it's time for war time rationing.

attachicon.gif20151201-07 IME Storms2.jpg

Yes but that front page was printed 3 weeks ago in Bangalore and has spent the last 2 weeks in transit to the IOM.

Longer - remember those swines at G E Whites have been involved - they've been orchestrating a global conspiracy to deny people the news.

• Like 1

So what was the score this time around?

Have any lessons been learned and solutions applied?

How many places on the list below were better-prepared and coped with the flooding?

Are there more recent "improvement schemes" that now should be added to the Not-Fit-For-Purpose list?

"Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:52 PM

'Augustus', on 05 Jan 2013 - 6:39 PM, said:

Bottom of Switzerland Road, Douglas. Outside Hydro Hotel. There were some so-called roadworks two or three years ago. Now, every time it rains, a sizeable pond collects at the bottom of the road, owing to the fact there was no provision for drainage. Was this just piss-poor design as I suspect? Amazed nobody else has raised the matter.

Aha.........spots VERY familiar situation and jumps on bandwagon yet again.

"Improved" roads subject to increase in flooding:

Braddan Bridge

Richmond Hill

Ballasalla to St Marks

Ballasalla - Balthane Industrial Estate Junction

Colby

Ballabeg

Ballafesson

Roundabout up from Braddan School

Vicarage Road

Bends near Fairy Bridge

Ballakeighan