Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Declan

MLC Arrested for Drink Driving

I have a question, should anyone know the answer smile.png

These MLC types, how accurate are their published Summary of Interests supposed to be?

They're supposed to be very accurate within a time limit to bring up to date. Do you have information to the contrary? We would love to know.

On the summary of interests dated 20th November 2015, there might be an omission in the gifts and benefits in kind section.

The directorships is not strictly correct either

Link?

To be fair people could be over the limit mid afternoon the following day. There is no set time or formula. It doesn't mean they wilfully drove knowing they were over the limit.

Oh, Jesus christ, I forgot it is xmas, well you have a good night wrapping your prezzies, perhaps with a little bit of luck, you will get a spot on NBC news mag and they will pay you as much as they did to that girl with the sagging floorboards! Did you slag her??

'course, if you are a grandparent, then you will get as much pleasure from 'just watching their little faces' as they unwrap your tat that you have wrapped so diligafly for them as their glee at the contents!

Jeesus fucking christ, am I just being too much of a cynic???

On this most holy of nights, when our saviour Eddie Christ has cut the basic rate of tax and reduced social housing rents and put the onus on those who have benefited most from the lead up to the collapse to assist in our recovery. He has hasn't he????

I have a question, should anyone know the answer smile.png

These MLC types, how accurate are their published Summary of Interests supposed to be?

They're supposed to be very accurate within a time limit to bring up to date. Do you have information to the contrary? We would love to know.

On the summary of interests dated 20th November 2015, there might be an omission in the gifts and benefits in kind section.

The directorships is not strictly correct either

Link?

http://www.tynwald.org.im/memoff/member/Pages/WildTP.aspx

Members interests, bottom right

• Like 1

@Kopek ...

You seem to be an apologist for these, days-gone-by and, by jove, you're doing your best to draw some obtuse, moral-equivalency from the 'then and now', in relation to this man's arrest.

Fact is, times have changed. Only wilful cunts people drink and drive. It doesn't happen by accident. And I would allege that a majority of all those caught drink-driving are recidivists who have consistently broken the law, time and again, relying on luck and a certain amount of arrogance that they are not apprehended. They are, in the eyes of the law, criminals if found guilty. I laugh every time at the, 'morning-after-the-night-before' offenders who hold their hands up and trot out the old chestnut, '' I didn't realise and felt ok to drive ''. Were it I sitting on the bench, those attempting to use this line would incur an extra penalty - for lying!

There is little mitigation for this crime.

Bloody Advocado's ...

I am not at all an apologist for times gone by.

f you read my posts above you will see that I accept that we were, we have accepted change and we are were we are now.

You will also see that it is the younger generation that have changed from their very anti drink driving to them being the commiters of such crimes.

Quilp, I don't know what age you are but I would guess from your previous posts that you are the best side of 40, as such, you should be aware that human psychology does not follow the 'trending' on facebook or twitter

There is not an apology that needs to be made for ' times gone by',, they have gone and maybe for the better but they were there. That cannot be denied, right or wrong.

''Fact is, times have changed.'' If you read my post above, you would realise that your response does not recognise that I allow for the change in social attitude that has taken place.

''nd I would allege that a majority of all those caught drink-driving are recidivists who have consistently broken the law, time and again,''

..but they aren't, are they? Some are first time offenders who have never done anything worse that park on a double yellow! Have you not?

I neither apologise for nor condone our past positions but ask for recognition that these were so and cannot be denied and if you wish to prove that the younger generation, your self?, are on the highground, you would have to show that they are not on the list of current offenders

Thing is, human nature changes, you hope in your favour but that is not always so and can you be sure that on this occasion it has changed in your favour?

Oh, Jesus christ, I forgot it is xmas, well you have a good night wrapping your prezzies, perhaps with a little bit of luck, you will get a spot on NBC news mag and they will pay you as much as they did to that girl with the sagging floorboards! Did you slag her??

'course, if you are a grandparent, then you will get as much pleasure from 'just watching their little faces' as they unwrap your tat that you have wrapped so diligafly for them as their glee at the contents!

Jeesus fucking christ, am I just being too much of a cynic???

On this most holy of nights, when our saviour Eddie Christ has cut the basic rate of tax and reduced social housing rents and put the onus on those who have benefited most from the lead up to the collapse to assist in our recovery. He has hasn't he????

For God's sake....stop drinking.

• Like 1

@Kopek ...

You seem to be an apologist for these, days-gone-by and, by jove, you're doing your best to draw some obtuse, moral-equivalency from the 'then and now', in relation to this man's arrest.

Fact is, times have changed. Only wilful cunts people drink and drive. It doesn't happen by accident. And I would allege that a majority of all those caught drink-driving are recidivists who have consistently broken the law, time and again, relying on luck and a certain amount of arrogance that they are not apprehended. They are, in the eyes of the law, criminals if found guilty. I laugh every time at the, 'morning-after-the-night-before' offenders who hold their hands up and trot out the old chestnut, '' I didn't realise and felt ok to drive ''. Were it I sitting on the bench, those attempting to use this line would incur an extra penalty - for lying!

There is little mitigation for this crime.

Bloody Advocado's ...

>There is little mitigation for this crime.

Correct, and deal with the immediate problem in accordance with the law.
But if someone has a problem with drink that needs medical intervention, then the NHS must provide facilities to address that too.
Fact is, indescriminate use of alcohol/drugs can cause problems with those also wanting to combine with driving.
So, not knowing the full facts of our esteemed MLC's predicament, we have to give him the benefit of the doubt and if found guilty, provide assistance if required as part of his sentence.
If offenders aren't helped, there's a likelihood that they'll repeat their behaviour, and that's not good for the person they run over when the requalify for their licence.
And if they repeat the process, then Jurby might be the better solution to protect the community from harm.
If TWMLC does have a problem (Hmm, can anyone be 3x over the limit and 'unaware' of the fact?), then best he sorts that out first before continuing with his current duties as an MLC.
Then if he recovers, he can stand for re-election.
Regarding the police officers involved in the case, it may prove prudent to observe their careers to see if they aren't disadvantaged as a result of their actions. That would encourgage other officers to treat all members of the community equally.
TBT.
  • Like 1

According to the news, he failed a breath test, so the result must be prosecution, no excuses, he must have known he was well over the limit, so it should be an automatic jail sentence and a big fine, plus a large ban, imo he might be one of those who has been getting away with it for some time.

The thing is he is a member of the health service department who together with the police issue the statement not to drink and drive, ironic isn't it.

• Like 1

Surely I'm not the only mfer to have heard about the other HOK DD10er? Come on, I so want this to be true 😈

Surely I'm not the only mfer to have heard about the other HOK DD10er? Come on, I so want this to be true

I suspect it's true. But the last one took about 10 days to get into the paper and I haven't heard enough from anyone close enough to it to repeat it on here yet.

Surely I'm not the only mfer to have heard about the other HOK DD10er? Come on, I so want this to be true

I suspect it's true. But the last one took about 10 days to get into the paper and I haven't heard enough from anyone close enough to it to repeat it on here yet.

I do hope that this one is just an unfounded rumour! After all, it's not as if they couldn't afford to pay for a taxi out of their travelling expenses.

• Like 2