Gas Prices to Fall

Here we go - someone point out if I've made any glaring errors.

The numbers are to two decimal places. But the full costs are in the cells

Completed based on Manx Gas saying its average annual usage that detemines the tariff you're on

"The standing charge bands are based on the actual annual gas consumption for your property for up to five previous years (depending on the age of your property and the history available). We will be reviewing every customer after a three month period and then annually thereafter"

Attached Thumbnails
  • post-16851-0-22392000-1457514171_thumb.j

All we need to do now is add the actual number of accounts/customers and total Kwh consumed for each band. Then we'll see exactly how revenue neutral it is for MG.

What Jam_Sandwich's very useful table shows is that the new tariffs make more money for Manx Gas if your usage happens to fall in the lowest part of a Band, but lose them a little if it's in the highest Band. It's not much either way, maybe £10-20 a year per household, but it adds up over their customers if it's not revenue neutral after all.

The relevant point is that they provisionally assigned people to Bands on what they claimed was previous usage, but are reserving the right to reallocate in April. But if they move people from Band A (which is effectively what everyone was on before January) to higher Bands, they will be charging their highest rate for usage over the Winter where usage is high, and then moving them to a higher daily standing charge when usage is low - they gain both ways.

It's also worth pointing out that the early payment discount (which they have already taken away from non-direct debit customers) is only applied to usage not to the standing charge. So by shifting the balance away from usage they are reducing the discount they give out.

There are just lots of little ways in the new system where they are 'scalping' the customer.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't know, they've lost 21,500 in the last few posts.

Every lack of efficiency, profiteering,asset stripping and monopoly behaviour, is attributed by the Government to being a small island. Of course they have a point, but to be factored in to the final

Same here. It makes oil seem so cheap that I've replummed my toilet so that it flushes with hot water.

Here we go - someone point out if I've made any glaring errors.

The numbers are to two decimal places. But the full costs are in the cells

Completed based on Manx Gas saying its average annual usage that detemines the tariff you're on

"The standing charge bands are based on the actual annual gas consumption for your property for up to five previous years (depending on the age of your property and the history available). We will be reviewing every customer after a three month period and then annually thereafter"

Attached Thumbnails
  • post-16851-0-22392000-1457514171_thumb.j

All we need to do now is add the actual number of accounts/customers and total Kwh consumed for each band. Then we'll see exactly how revenue neutral it is for MG.

What Jam_Sandwich's very useful table shows is that the new tariffs make more money for Manx Gas if your usage happens to fall in the lowest part of a Band, but lose them a little if it's in the highest Band. It's not much either way, maybe £10-20 a year per household, but it adds up over their customers if it's not revenue neutral after all.

The relevant point is that they provisionally assigned people to Bands on what they claimed was previous usage, but are reserving the right to reallocate in April. But if they move people from Band A (which is effectively what everyone was on before January) to higher Bands, they will be charging their highest rate for usage over the Winter where usage is high, and then moving them to a higher daily standing charge when usage is low - they gain both ways.

It's also worth pointing out that the early payment discount (which they have already taken away from non-direct debit customers) is only applied to usage not to the standing charge. So by shifting the balance away from usage they are reducing the discount they give out.

There are just lots of little ways in the new system where they are 'scalping' the customer.

The increase in prices during last year (where it went up because we hadn't consumed enough!), the guaranteed profit formula and the alleged realignment of the standing charges was a deliberately contrived and cynical plan to further cement their monopoly position. And of course MUA as the supplier benefits from it all as well.

• Like 1

I think - from what I did.
And what Manx Gas are trying to do

Is spread there income out throughout the year.

So if you were a low user. You'll notice no change in your invoice what so ever

If you were a high gas user.

Instead of seeing low low low invoices during the summer months
And high high high invoices during the winter months.

You'll now have a much more spread out cost

So

Not quite so low summer month invoices
And not quite so high winter month invoices.

Total cost throughout the year - about the same

I THINK - I don't actually have gas so.... yeah
I would appreciate the cost spread though - having topped up my oil tank the other week since set up a DD to pre-pay!cat.gif

*not taking into account early payment discounts, actual gas prices etc, just the facts as shown on the table.

Edited by Jam_Sandwich

I think - from what I did.

And what Manx Gas are trying to do

Is spread there income out throughout the year.

So if you were a low user. You'll notice no change in your invoice what so ever

If you were a high gas user.

Instead of seeing low low low invoices during the summer months

And high high high invoices during the winter months.

That's the rationale they're giving as a reason for changing it, but I'm not really convinced. If people do want to spread their payments more evenly, they can do so by setting up standing orders and so on. It doesn't really help the poorest (who are likely to be on the lowest tariff which is unchanged).

This method just increases Manx Gas' guaranteed income even if the wholesale price falls or they are forced to bring down their very high charges by public pressure.

• Like 2

Just had the new bill which is fully on the new charges, compared to the older ones the drop from 7.5p to 5 makes not a lot of difference in the final total, I checked it at the old standing charge, it would have been £8.80, the new one at band C is 60p, with a total of £35.

Edited by EORH

Just had the new bill which is fully on the new charges, compared to the older ones the drop from 7.5p to 5 makes not a lot of difference in the final total, I checked it at the old standing charge, it would have been £8.80, the new one at band C is 60p, with a total of £35.

Eh?

• 2 weeks later...

you got to laugh at manx radio still running the advert for MG that claims there's never been a better time to switch to gas, cant be a long way from a outright lie and false advertising.

If you believe that, you should challenge it with the OFT...

• Like 1

you got to laugh at manx radio still running the advert for MG that claims there's never been a better time to switch to gas, cant be a long way from a outright lie and false advertising.

If you believe that, you should challenge it with the OFT...

that was real comedy, those spineless cunts aren't worth wasting breath on and you know it.

The latest advert is now eschewing the virtues of not having to take up precious space to store gas, wait for delivery (cos it's piped direct to your home) and of course it's more environmentally friendly.

Clearly they're having to fight for custom. Makes you wonder how many people have actually made the switch to oil.

They have to be the most hated company on the island. Top my list anyway.

Somehow I can't see their marketing team getting a christmas bonus this year based on success.

Butlins would have had a better chance of success selling holidays to concentration camps.

• Like 1