Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
offshore

Telecoms contract

We have a one stop shop telecoms contract covering landline, unlimited broadband and 2 smart phones. Contract is up for renewal in January and at least one phone needs replacing owing to a broken scree.

Anyone MF members got any recommendations as to which firm to sign up with or even split the contract?

Cheers and happy new year.

Buy a sim free android phone and then find the best sim only contract that works for you. There are two suppliers and the shops are a 100 yards apart why not ask them or look on websites without knowing your usage nor what handset you want its a pretty pointless request.

I've been with Sure for home broadband and 2 contract phones for several years now. About £20/m cheaper than MT for the same deal, and fortunately have never had to deal with their apparently not very good customer service because everything has always worked like it should. Was going to move the line rental over to them too but haven't got around to it.

Edit - the contract phones aren't top of the range iphones or anything, and the contracts aren't up at the top tariffs either. Last renewed when they were still offering 'unlimited' 4g internet but I think they might have stopped that now.

Edited by alibaba

Sure do unlimited BB for £15 if you have a mobile contract with them so that's £10 saved for a starter. Their mobile tariffs are usually slightly better than MT if you make sure you get the right one for you, although there's not much in it. Been with them for a while with no problems. I have had to contact customer services a couple of times and they were very helpful, more so than MT. It was an ongoing broadband problem, they got an engineer to phone up at a time to suit me & between us we sorted it. With MT all you get is an operator pretending to be an expert telling you the change your filter & if that doesn't work they'll charge you 10% of the value of your house to send someone out. They couldn't have been less interested.

Im with Sure pay as you go on my mobile. Theyre cheaper, the free data lasts longer, the internet speeds quicker.

Manx Telecom couldn't give two hoots, I'm waiting patiently (August) for a price and info. The man I've been dealing with is my friend (not much of one) so I don't want to complain but it is getting ridiculous...

Our home stuff is with Wi-Manx and my mobile with Sure. Manx telecom are the worst company ever!

• Like 1

We have a one stop shop telecoms contract covering landline, unlimited broadband and 2 smart phones. Contract is up for renewal in January and at least one phone needs replacing owing to a broken scree.

Anyone MF members got any recommendations as to which firm to sign up with or even split the contract?

Cheers and happy new year.

I'm with the Bees. I'd go anywhere but MT. It's a useless, unhelpful, shadow of the former business it was. They couldn't give a shite if you bought anything off them anyway so they won't be disappointed to be missing out when you don't. Also the staff in Sure are much more helpful than the 14 year old school children MT employ to read stuff out of the brochure to you.

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys. Others in the office say Sure mobile signal is dire and calls most often go to voice mail which would not be helpful. Also sure quoted me £20 per month more than MT but I will go back in with a bill. Sure were certainly put out when their quote was higher.

Will report back when we have a decision.

The only places I ever have a problem with the reception on Sure are up Glen Auldyn and out in Dalby.

Sure reception isn't as good. Especially between Ramsey and Peel along the coast road (I tend to have streaming radio going as the local radio isn't great).

However, they are as a rule of thumb cheaper and I can't be bothered switching.

Also, if you're after a new phone, instead of going for the contract route, use giffgaff. They will offer you a phone on a pay monthly basis, but it's unlocked, and you don't have to pay for a SIM card. Interest is low too and you can pay it off early with no penalty. I have mine through them and am tempted to upgrade soon.

I recently moved back to MT after two years with Sure.

It pained me to give up my legacy unlimited data contract but the reception got to breaking point for me. I live in Central Douglas and I often had to step outside my house to make calls. Which for a corporate phone, with an implied availability requirement, wasn't really much good. I also figured out that for my needs, MT actually worked out slightly cheaper in the long term. I gather Sure are about to upgrade their network with new technology that gives them better penetration into buildings but I just couldn't wait.

However, if you're a mostly data/sms users, Sure is probably the best bet for you. If call reception is vital to you, I'd go MT.

Can't say I've noticed too much difference with reception & I'm invariably on the bloody thing most of the day from various locations. I've noticed a far greater difference when changing from one phone manufacturer to another than when moving operators.