Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Lxxx

Fracking

With the topic raising it's head to great publicity just across the water in Fylde and the UK government seemingly pushing this type of energy on local councils in concert with their large energy corporations friends like Cuadrilla. I wonder how long it will be before our own skint administration offer the island up to whoever wants to try and exploit what is underneath it and we see drilling sites opening up across our countryside?

Another angle is we wouldn't really be in a position to object to anything the UK government wanted to force on us, including in theory nuclear waste, such is our perilous financial position. We have lots of land and a large black hole in our finances.

Sounds like a good idea to me. Hadn't thought of taking on nuclear waste - that could be a good money earner for the Island, obviously the necessary research would be required first. Fracking is an established technology and we proven so - yes. We should have some of that.

Hadn't thought of taking on nuclear waste - that could be a good money earner for the Island, obviously the necessary research would be required first.

Can't see that going down well, remember the objections to the incinerator? All life south of Fort North was going to be obliterated with the prevailing winds carrying further instant death to other areas of the Island. Or so everybody in Braddan said.

Suggest that we could store somebody else's nuke waste and it could lead to meltdown on the Island. And that's before the waste arrives.

Good point, and of course the incinerator has been a financial disaster.

If we were to take the nuclear waste we would need to be handsomely rewarded.

I'm all for accepting nuclear waste. If we mixed it in with some sort of clear resin with phosphors we could make roads that light up at night.

Nuclear Frickin' Roadways.

Like solar frickin' roadways, except ours would work. Although they might be slightly hazardous, but that's a minor technicality.

I'm all for accepting nuclear waste. If we mixed it in with some sort of clear resin with phosphors we could make roads that light up at night.

Nuclear Frickin' Roadways.

Like solar frickin' roadways, except ours would work. Although they might be slightly hazardous, but that's a minor technicality.

And power the vehicles upon them, evaporate roadkill etc. You could be onto something. TT Zero might go a bit haywire though.

Peltier arrays and fans... Then the electric bikes could be powered by the heat from the road. They'd just do lap after lap after lap until the riders got pissed off.

Peltier arrays and fans... Then the electric bikes could be powered by the heat from the road. They'd just do lap after lap after lap until the riders got pissed off.

Or residents

Buried in these fora are my past comments on the subject so I'll to save a mining expedition I'll resurface them here.

Given the parlous state of our economy, no source of income should be ruled out and that includes fracking (the Island is made up largely of the same rocks as the Lake District) and the storage of nuclear waste deep under the core of the island; the latter is literally worth billions.

Several years ago I even (tongue in cheek) suggested a Chinese-built nuclear plant going on the Point of Ayre. How times and economic realities change!