Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
FCMR

More Over Spending

The admin of the Government approved contractors list is a present being looked after by the Isle of Man Employers Federation, and is funded by the subscriptions from its members, which is believed to be about £25/£30k pa. Its now been aledged that the DTI (Mr Downie) is to take this of the IOMEF and administer the scheme itself at a cost of £1 million pa, what the F**k are the DTI up to, the IOMEF have being doing this job well for many years, and now want to take it away with the possible loss of full time jobs and at a hell of a cost to the again Taxpayer

Edited by FCMR

So what your saying is the instead off paying £30 grand We will now be paying £1 miilion?

Or because some of them maintain and project personal bias over people rather than a professional view from the company/federation..

Or because some of them maintain and project personal bias over people rather than a professional view from the company/federation..

They are paid to do a job, and I too have had plenty of run ins with the IOMEF, but at the end of the day they have to take care of all the members not just one. They have made many inprovements to the construction industry, ie Death in service benifit, holiday pay, sick pay, health and safety, in fact they have taken the industry out of the dark ages something the DTI could not do the last time they ran the scheme. Its my opinion that if the DTI take over the running of the approved contractors it would do nothing but harm to the industry.

I can see it in future forum topics= DTI minister in charge of approved contractors to visit Greece on a fact finding mission on how the Greeks built the great temples or Minister to visit new hotel in Florida.

Edited by FCMR

They are paid to do a job, and I too have had plenty of run ins with the IOMEF, but at the end of the day they have to take care of all the members not just one. They have made many inprovements to the construction industry, ie Death in service benifit, holiday pay, sick pay, health and safety, in fact they have taken the industry out of the dark ages something the DTI could not do the last time they ran the scheme. Its my opinion that if the DTI take over the running of the approved contractors it would do nothing but harm to the industry.

I can see it in future forum topics= DTI minister in charge of approved contractors to visit Greece on a fact finding mission on how the Greeks built the great temples or Minister to visit new hotel in Florida.

The approved contractors list, a list of GOVERNMENT approved contractors, should be administered by the GOVERNMENT and not a privately run company.

It should also be remembered that you do not have to be on the IOMEF list to be on the approved contractors list, something the IOMEF will have you believe is not the case.

The IOMEF have been unable to administer the approved contractors list effectively for some time. There are a growing number of IOMEF members that have not and will not be renewing their membership.

It is the construction industry itself that has moved itself from the dark ages, together with the legislation that has been introduced over the last 10 years and not the IOMEF. Lets give credit where credit is due, and giving it to the IOMEF is misguided, lets give the credit to the whole industry, from client to labourer.

The IOMEF does diddily squat apart from feeding the coffers of an overweight minger dwarf IMHO.

The approved contractors list, a list of GOVERNMENT approved contractors, should be administered by the GOVERNMENT and not a privately run company.

Its set up and run by the members

It should also be remembered that you do not have to be on the IOMEF list to be on the approved contractors list, something the IOMEF will have you believe is not the case.

They have never said this to me

The IOMEF have been unable to administer the approved contractors list effectively for some time. There are a growing number of IOMEF members that have not and will not be renewing their membership.

Are those the members that are trying to buck the system or cant/wont pay the proper insurances and benifits to their employees

It is the construction industry itself that has moved itself from the dark ages, together with the legislation that has been introduced over the last 10 years and not the IOMEF. Lets give credit where credit is due, and giving it to the IOMEF is misguided, lets give the credit to the whole industry, from client to labourer.

Your partly right on this but you forgot to mention about the IOMEF pushing for the Legislation, and dont forget it was Government that allowed unskilled labour to work on a Government contracts last year without permits and did bugger all when the female permit inspector was assaulted by the same people.

The IOMEF does diddily squat apart from feeding the coffers of an overweight minger dwarf IMHO.

What has a persons appearance got to do with this topic DIDDILY SQUAT, at least if she has something to say its said to your face not behind one back. And this same person has arranged for its members to take the same coarses as those at the DTI for half the cost. Why do the DTI charge twice the price for the same coarse. :rolleyes:

To me Geo your sounding a bit bitter, are you one of those that cant meet the criteria or have been caught bucking the system

Edited by FCMR

It looks like the DTI are going to correct the overspending by slashing the construction apprentices at the College by 50% next year

It looks like the DTI are going to correct the overspending by slashing the construction apprentices at the College by 50% next year

It could, of course, be the first indications of something that we over here have been seeing for years – stealth tax.

After all, with a small population and interdependence between local and central governments and now with the MEA debacle not to mention the other cock-up’s funds into or out of any one thing that is linked to the public purse will affect the others.

I suspect that increases in charges for a while mass of things may well soon kick in if they have not and gone unnoticed already. Car park charges hike above the rate of inflation, more pay & display parking places, more yellow lines to force people to pay to park, increases in rates, rises in bus fares, increases in road tax, and of course cut backs, maybe some that wouldn’t even be obvious at all like not replacing staff who leave or retire - subtle things that when put together all add up and actually do impact on everyone.

More Doom and Gloom.

About time the IOMEF is a out of touch group that do nothing for the sole trader, the only people to gain anything are the close knit group at the top.

Last time i spoke to the general secretary she talked to me as if i was not worthy of licking her fat feet, what a complete idiot, i know of a lot of good tradespeople that told her to stick it i did too.

No point being in the IOMEF because i never got asked to price a job nevermind get to do one but a select few got every job don't you think this is more unfair.

FCMR you know the score, would you not prefer a system where every company on the list had a chance to price a job in his or her own field making it more fair than what is going on at the moment.

Tool

p.s i have done more government work since i left the IOMEF than when i was in it don't you think that is mad, not even on the list but i get work hahaha typical manx cock up