The town that took on the taxman

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

She's embarrassing. Fucking pathetic really. What is up with some people?

Not often you find an English man who doesn't know everything.

Just watched it on the iplayer. It's pretty shameful really. I don't accept for one minute that the only way this wonderful place can make a living is this morally bankrupt behaviour. The guy Steve ha

Posted Images

She'll just write it off as another appalling life choice / crass lack of judgement. There's been enough of them already to say this is business as usual.

I don't think the discussion should be about Cat Turner's personal character. The film was about the possibility of several small independent shop-keepers creating a company offshore and taking advantage of the existing tax and intellectual property laws. And It appears that they did in the Isle of Man.

I totally disagree, this topic should be about Cat Turner the potential HOK's candidate in Sept 2016

Last night she did her best to slam the Isle of Man Finance Industry, which could costs jobs

LV need to remove her from the party

Exactly. I cannot even understand why she even got involved.

She needs booting really.

I don't follow local politics that closely as I consider them all amateur wannabes anyway. I don't know Cat turner other than as Andy Keyshawn's ex. What I think I saw on that program was just some woman being honest.

• Like 1

This sort of viewing is designed and produced for the ill-informed masses. As such it simply plays to the "seedy little tax haven" bandwagon. Not the subject matter experts.

As usual, no opportunity was given, requested or used to counter it.

She'll just write it off as another appalling life choice / crass lack of judgement. There's been enough of them already to say this is business as usual.

I don't think the discussion should be about Cat Turner's personal character. The film was about the possibility of several small independent shop-keepers creating a company offshore and taking advantage of the existing tax and intellectual property laws. And It appears that they did in the Isle of Man.

Maybe. That was not really what I intended to do but perhaps her apparent abysmal ability to make informed decisions and act in a measured and rational way should be debated? The whole thing was an embarrassing cluster fuck. I wouldn't vote for her if my life depended on it. Quite what the fuck Liberal Vannin are doing backing her is anyone's guess when she gets involved in something that basically slates the IOM.

Edited by oldmanxfella
  • Like 1

I havnt watched this yet. Will catch up some time.

I am not sure here what the complaints are about.

Has she given incorrect information on the telly or is just that we don't like what she said which was accurate?

• Like 2

Yes, and it could have been handled very differently from the IOM end and been turned into something positive rather than the bandwagon "shady offshore", something like: have you had full legal and tax advice not just on setting up the structure but how the various components will interact?; you know this is an expensive option so has to be weighed against the potential savings and the cost of an investigation by HMRC; you will have to sacrifice control for the structure to be effective; etc. etc. all the stuff that professionals will raise with potential clients.

When did Cat Turner become the voice piece for the CSP industry? I would ask again HTF did she get the job?

And taking everyone to the CSP at the end of Athol Street was just shocking.

The programme should have the real gripe with HMRC who make the rules and negotiate with the big boys.

• Like 1

From her Facebook page,

I'm watching Fair Tax Town on BBC2. I'm not expecting plaudits, but I am hoping it'll spur our "Government" into working towards truly sustainable jobs, and economy, for our people - not ones that rely on an outdated model that relies on denying local economies elsewhere the taxes they need to look after their people.
It's not a reliable model - we won't be allowed to get away with this nonsense for much longer - and we do a disservice to our bright-eyed boys and gals working in the international finance industry, if we don't ditch this immoral model and work towards truly valuable economics

Translated:

I have no idea what I'm talking about but I got to go on telly!