Isle of Man as testbed for driverless vehicles?

Apparently our leaders have decided that the IOM is well suited to driverless car technology.

They obviously don't use our roads much, since the driverless vehicles will make slow progress as they try to avoid the elderly motorists and fashion-4x4 drivers who have poor spatial awareness when it comes to narrow roads with cars parked on one side.

The driverless cars will also never get past two bicycles riding abreast on a winding road.

The future is driverless. (Mainly at 2mph and with sudden violent stops.)

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/article4682172.ece?shareToken=68ff8322c2960ca04852e49a2a0ced00

• Like 1
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wrighty is right though and maybe Mad Max is the right vision of the future. The rest of the world will be stuck trying to escape the apocalypse by paying Google £5,000 to use a computerised car to ta

A computer will never understand the intricacies of a Manx Stand Off at the Quarterbridge Roundabout.

Answers to some of the silly questions: Google's Jonnycab isn't the future of autonomous (self-driving) cars. All car makers are working on them and have invested zillions in the tech, which is bein

Posted Images

To be fair, that thread title is fucking hopeless and I wouldn't have clicked on it. At least this one gives you a clear indication of what you're going to find inside the thread!

True!

Anyhoo, I like the idea of the island leading the way with the testing of this kind of tech but I'm not a fan myself (although I suppose having one would be an ace way of getting back from the pub after a good session).

I like to drive and would always choose to drive myself (other than whilst under the influence of course occifer!).

• Like 2

Or indeed this one:

Fewer threads with clearer titles would be nice.

Also if people are going to refer to articles behind a paywall, such as in the Times, a little cut and paste would be nice for those of us who don't subscribe to that media outlet, so we know what you are talking about.

Edited by Roger Mexico

Anyhoo, I like the idea of the island leading the way with the testing of this kind of tech

Agreed

I think we missed the boat with electric vehicles tbh

• Like 3

A computer will never understand the intricacies of a Manx Stand Off at the Quarterbridge Roundabout.

• Like 5

Besides rich old ladies doing their shopping, current drink drivers and Jean-Claude Van Damme....who'd buy one?

Would you?

I would think that if you're a real piss head they'd be a must. I bet Tony Wild wished he'd had one to get home from the pub. Get tanked up, press the home button, and away you go no matter how shit faced you may be. It's almost the ideal form of transport for someone with a drink problem.

• Like 1

Self-driving Car sharing via an Uber-like service could transform the way we use transportation. Most cars are unused for 90% or more of their lives. Unleashing even a tiny proportion of that could result in big savings and efficiency gains.

Edited by Chinahand
  • Like 1

Anyhoo, I like the idea of the island leading the way with the testing of this kind of tech but I'm not a fan myself (although I suppose having one would be an ace way of getting back from the pub after a good session).

I like to drive and would always choose to drive myself (other than whilst under the influence of course occifer!).

I do find the idea of driverless vehicles appealing. Particularly when they're owned by the real-life manifestation of Skynet.

And it does mean that if you get caught drink driving then you can say that your vehicle is driverless and was going through its calibration routine.