Isle of Man as testbed for driverless vehicles?

Anyhoo, I like the idea of the island leading the way with the testing of this kind of tech

Agreed

I think we missed the boat with electric vehicles tbh

I'd like an electric vehicle, but they're still in the early adopter stage with the high costs associated with that.

Maybe they'd pay their way if you commuted every day, but for casual trips to the shops it's probably better sticking with a petrol/diesel vehicle.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wrighty is right though and maybe Mad Max is the right vision of the future. The rest of the world will be stuck trying to escape the apocalypse by paying Google £5,000 to use a computerised car to ta

A computer will never understand the intricacies of a Manx Stand Off at the Quarterbridge Roundabout.

Answers to some of the silly questions: Google's Jonnycab isn't the future of autonomous (self-driving) cars. All car makers are working on them and have invested zillions in the tech, which is bein

Posted Images

In the future the only people that own and drive their own cars will be like people today who own and ride their own horses, i.e. Enthusiasts who do it as a hobby rather than a day to day mode of transport.

There will be a fleet of driverless cars that get summonsed by your smart phone, take you to where you need to go and then drive off to get someone else.

• Like 1

Besides rich old ladies doing their shopping, current drink drivers and Jean-Claude Van Damme....who'd buy one?

Would you?

Not in a million years.

If you can't smell petrol from the exhaust, can't hear the engine "sing" and can't do 0-60 in less than 6 seconds, it's only a "shopper" thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

In the future the only people that own and drive their own cars will be like people today who own and ride their own horses, i.e. Enthusiasts who do it as a hobby rather than a day to day mode of transport.

There will be a fleet of driverless cars that get summonsed by your smart phone, take you to where you need to go and then drive off to get someone else.

I know it's sad isn't it? There will be huge loss of personal liberty as well, not to mention effective travel restrictions which will have people trapped in poverty, and war zones, and cities, because they will have lost control over their own ability to mobilise themselves by simply putting a key in the ignition and driving somewhere else. No longer will you see fleets of pick ups loaded with people's belongings fleeing war zones. They'll be sitting there waiting to die.

For a company that allegedly doesn't do evil it's making a very good play for enslaving the whole world.

• Like 1

I know it's sad isn't it? There will be huge loss of personal liberty as well, not to mention effective travel restrictions which will have people trapped in poverty, and war zones, and cities, because they will have lost control over their own ability to mobilise themselves by simply putting a key in the ignition and driving somewhere else. No longer will you see fleets of pick ups loaded with people's belongings fleeing war zones. They'll be sitting there waiting to die.

For a company that allegedly doesn't do evil it's making a very good play for enslaving the whole world.

Nah.

mad-max-2-1981-mel-gibson-driving-seat-0

• Like 4

Nah.

mad-max-2-1981-mel-gibson-driving-seat-0

Wrighty is right though and maybe Mad Max is the right vision of the future. The rest of the world will be stuck trying to escape the apocalypse by paying Google £5,000 to use a computerised car to take them to the nearest Google refugee camp; when really what we all should have is a carb fed V8 with no modern electrics and a pump action shotgun to get the fuck out of there pdq. In the future I think the best thing anyone can probably own is a 20 year old Toyota Hi Lux. If it gets a bit hairy you could ram a lot of Google cars out of the way in one of them as you take your family and the contents of your house 500 miles away from a trouble spot.

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 5

If those who currently walk or bus to their destination were to use these vehicles, easily available via a 'phone call, wouldn't that lead to an increase in traffic? Then, only if enough were available.

Chelsea Tractor drivers would need to hire two of them to take up all of the road as is their wont!

I really hope this Google Lark really is the golden goose which lays the golden egg. If it doesn't and yet again, it's all pie in the sky - as is always the case, we as an island will face, more attacks from the UK regarding VAT issues and possible health reciprocal arrangements being revisited. Instead of keeping our heads down and quietly keeping busy, we are busy shouting 'my Dick is bigger than yours' again. All this publicity, this could have been done quietly, and discretely.

• Like 2

I'm looking forward to the hacked driverless cars. Probably called "rammers" because of what they do.

You get in your car to go to work and suddenly discover it's now a rammer and going very fast on the wrong side of the road with no manual control option and all the doors locked.

• Like 2

I really hope this Google Lark really is the golden goose which lays the golden egg. If it doesn't and yet again, it's all pie in the sky - as is always the case, we as an island will face, more attacks from the UK regarding VAT issues and possible health reciprocal arrangements being revisited. Instead of keeping our heads down and quietly keeping busy, we are busy shouting 'my Dick is bigger than yours' again. All this publicity, this could have been done quietly, and discretely.

Is that not what the whole exercise is about, PUBLICITY for the IOM.?

Does anyone really think this Google car thing will materialise here.?

Just had a great idea. Perhaps they could test this car at the TT by sticking that "roads open" sign on it. What could possibly go wrong?

<cough> wow, this stuff aint half strong.... <cough>

Some quite good out of the box thinking there. The island's ability and willingness to close roads on a whim must surely be an attractive prospect for developers of this technology. It would also make a great new class for the TT.

Just had a great idea. Perhaps they could test this car at the TT by sticking that "roads open" sign on it. What could possibly go wrong?

<cough> wow, this stuff aint half strong.... <cough>

Some quite good out of the box thinking there. The island's ability and willingness to close roads on a whim must surely be an attractive prospect for developers of this technology. It would also make a great new class for the TT.

Some real thinking outside the box, why not a Google TT - a race around the course with these cars during a break between the endless parade laps, Subaru laps and in between any racing - if it's not postponed due to fire, flood or pestilence. With luck the cars will crash into something/someone, possible injuries/fatalities - will create publicity for the IOM and TT. On the plus side Tynwald will have an opportunity to set up a select committee - you all know what comes next - Lessons will be learned!

• Like 1