Isle of Man as testbed for driverless vehicles?

People joking about driverless racing. It's not like we would be the first and I think the gov should be all over it.

The technology and ip being developed by the formula e teams could be worth fortunes and I don't see why there shouldn't be an incentive for more of these firms to base some of their setup on island.

http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/november/formula-e-kinetik-announce-roborace-a-global-driverless-championship.aspx

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wrighty is right though and maybe Mad Max is the right vision of the future. The rest of the world will be stuck trying to escape the apocalypse by paying Google £5,000 to use a computerised car to ta

A computer will never understand the intricacies of a Manx Stand Off at the Quarterbridge Roundabout.

Answers to some of the silly questions: Google's Jonnycab isn't the future of autonomous (self-driving) cars. All car makers are working on them and have invested zillions in the tech, which is bein

Posted Images

Some quite good out of the box thinking there. The island's ability and willingness to close roads on a whim must surely be an attractive prospect for developers of this technology. It would also make a great new class for the TT.

Some real thinking outside the box, why not a Google TT - a race around the course with these cars during a break between the endless parade laps, Subaru laps and in between any racing - if it's not postponed due to fire, flood or pestilence. With luck the cars will crash into something/someone, possible injuries/fatalities - will create publicity for the IOM and TT. On the plus side Tynwald will have an opportunity to set up a select committee - you all know what comes next - Lessons will be learned!

And they're under starters orders -

wpid-self-driving.jpg

People joking about driverless racing. It's not like we would be the first and I think the gov should be all over it.

The technology and ip being developed by the formula e teams could be worth fortunes and I don't see why there shouldn't be an incentive for more of these firms to base some of their setup on island.

http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/november/formula-e-kinetik-announce-roborace-a-global-driverless-championship.aspx

Totally agree - but if you were the CEO of a large race team in this field of Motorsport and carrying out important research as well - I'm sure they won't come here to be schmoozed, bullshited, and wined by Skelly. Then if they do come here, there is overpriced utilities and unskilled labour along with a government of fcukwits. Moving to near Silverstone or Oxtord near the University is a no brainer

I'm sure many of these firms have experience of bullshiters and incompetent jurisdictions - they may have considered the IOM?

Edited by 2112

Pah! That was invented years ago. It's called Scalextric.
  • Like 2

Some real thinking outside the box, why not a Google TT - a race around the course with these cars during a break between the endless parade laps, Subaru laps and in between any racing -

Nice one.

eta:

We still need to know which department and which knacker/s initially dismissed Google cars on the Island.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 1

Some real thinking outside the box, why not a Google TT - a race around the course with these cars during a break between the endless parade laps, Subaru laps and in between any racing -

Nice one.

eta:

We still need to know which department and which knacker/s initially dismissed Google cars on the Island.

Didn't happen. (IMO)

Even if something similar had occurred, why do feel you should be told?

In fact Beecroft did ask at last week's House of Keys (it got missed because it got bumped into Written Answers):

Who is responsible for the decision not to allow the testing of driverless cars on the Island?

The Chief Minister (Mr Bell): My original comments have been taken somewhat out of context. In fact, no decision has been taken not to allow the testing of driverless cars.

We believe this is an area of great opportunity for the Isle of Man.

Like the United Kingdom, our legislative and regulatory framework does not act as a barrier to the testing of automated vehicles on our roads. But more than that, our rich heritage in motoring innovation could give us an edge when compared to the rest of the world in this exciting area of technology development.

The Environment and Infrastructure sub-Committee of the Council of Ministers, together with the Cabinet Office, are leading a piece of work to better understand the feasibility of the Island becoming a centre of excellence in this field.

So we may never find out, if only because it could be that the 'dismissal' was Bell was talking out of the top of his head. Or some other orifice.

In the future the only people that own and drive their own cars will be like people today who own and ride their own horses, i.e. Enthusiasts who do it as a hobby rather than a day to day mode of transport.

There will be a fleet of driverless cars that get summonsed by your smart phone, take you to where you need to go and then drive off to get someone else.

Where will I keep all my rubbish?

• Like 2

In the future the only people that own and drive their own cars will be like people today who own and ride their own horses, i.e. Enthusiasts who do it as a hobby rather than a day to day mode of transport.

There will be a fleet of driverless cars that get summonsed by your smart phone, take you to where you need to go and then drive off to get someone else.

Where will I keep all my rubbish?

It will be an ideal mode of transport for those banned from the road through drink driving

It is important that we can have confidence in the Govt and its officers investigating any opportunity to make a few bob. Whether the names of those responsible for the initial rejection of the idea of using our roads for testing should be revealed is questionable but perhaps the Minister should take the rap?

Anyone who thinks these cars are going to take them straight to their destination is in for a shock as they are driven to every Google advertiser in the area. You will probably need a till receipt to get the car going again! It's a conspiracy I tell you!

In an ideal world Google cars will happen here. But in an ideal world this island would have a Premier Inn or Travelodge. Seriously, can anyone see it happening? Hell no! There will be objections galore - not Manx enough, will impact on the local Brewers activities, the local food retailers will stick their oar in. Licensing will want their say and someone will object to the design of the building as not in keeping, followed by some local prominent hotel group putting in an objection. They would still object if it was sited at Reynoldsway or Jurby! There are too many vested interests with their fingers in too many pies, thinking they own the island..........thing is in some respects they do as they have been allowed to get away with it

• Like 1

Some real thinking outside the box, why not a Google TT - a race around the course with these cars during a break between the endless parade laps, Subaru laps and in between any racing - if it's not postponed due to fire, flood or pestilence. With luck the cars will crash into something/someone, possible injuries/fatalities - will create publicity for the IOM and TT. On the plus side Tynwald will have an opportunity to set up a select committee - you all know what comes next - Lessons will be learned!

http://global.yamaha-motor.com/showroom/event/2015tokyomotorshow/sp/exhibitionmodels/mgp/