Isle of Man as testbed for driverless vehicles?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wrighty is right though and maybe Mad Max is the right vision of the future. The rest of the world will be stuck trying to escape the apocalypse by paying Google £5,000 to use a computerised car to ta

A computer will never understand the intricacies of a Manx Stand Off at the Quarterbridge Roundabout.

Answers to some of the silly questions: Google's Jonnycab isn't the future of autonomous (self-driving) cars. All car makers are working on them and have invested zillions in the tech, which is bein

Posted Images

Looks like the IOM won't stand a chance of getting Google cars tested here. London now making overtures to Google - mind you, compared to London, what has the IOM really got offer? Third rate infrastructure, second class services and first class bureaucracy.

The IOM has some very challenging roads from a driverless car perspective. So that alone might make it an appealing place to test the cars.

Don't these cars need a centre road marking of some sort to navigate?

Good luck with that as some muppets has decided to get rid of those on some UK roads as a traffic calming measure ffs!

They use a huge array of sensors plus GPS data. The vehicle has cameras all round it and infra red thermal imaging to detect animals and humans. I think they may use low power radar to detect vehicles and road layout too.

Don't these cars need a centre road marking of some sort to navigate?

Good luck with that as some muppets has decided to get rid of those on some UK roads as a traffic calming measure ffs!

They use a huge array of sensors plus GPS data. The vehicle has cameras all round it and infra red thermal imaging to detect animals and humans. I think they may use low power radar to detect vehicles and road layout too.

All they are is a Stenna Stairlift for the able bodied. Waste of time, money and energy !

|

• Like 1

I wouldn't rule out anything for the future. I think it's inevitable that the future will involve heavily automated transport.

Of course, all it'll take is one driverless vehicle having a crash and the media will be all over it like a rash. Unlike the near daily fatalities that occur on UK roads at the moment.

Answers to some of the silly questions:

Google's Jonnycab isn't the future of autonomous (self-driving) cars.

All car makers are working on them and have invested zillions in the tech, which is being installed in normal, everyday cars.

They have more sensors than the lunar landing module, and recognise animals, people and other cars.

They can drive and park themselves.

If you walk in front of a car driving itself, it WILL stop. Not all humans do.

90 per cent of road accidents are caused by human error. Remove the human, and 90 per cent of road accidents would be eliminated.

Computers take off, fly and land passenger aircraft all day every day. Most air accidents are caused by pilot or human error, not computer error.

All cars will be able to self-drive soon. It's up to the driver to engage that if required. Most M-way commuters require it now, but will drive themselves to the shops at the weekend. That's the whole idea.

The latest E-Class could already drive itself. It lacks only legislation for that to happen.

America has invested $4 billion in a 10-year programme to accelerate the deployment of autonomous vehicles. This is because some other countries have already begun creating legislation to allow that.

Car makers have already agreed that they will accept legal responsibility for what the car does when it is driving itself, solving the insurance issue.

The Isle of Man could pass legislation allowing self-driving cars on its roads faster than almost any other country in the world, and that might be attractive to some manufacturers whose own nations either do not wish to or cannot move so fast.

You won't spot them. It'll just be another Volvo, Mercedes or BMW. Some makers are experimenting with specific lighting configurations so you would be able to tell when their car is in autonomous mode. They are also writing algorithms which allow the car to drive more like a human than a robot, so its body-language in traffic doesn't unsettle other drivers.

This is the future of motoring, and at present there doesn't seem to be a downside.

Yes, these are generalisations. I know that if you spend long enough on the internet you will find contradictory instances, but the principles still hold true.

At present, no car maker has a computer that knows what to do at Quarterbridge. But neither do any human drivers.

Edited by jonnyrotten
  • Like 4

Good post jr.

Why haven't our Government been all over all the car manufacturers like the proverbial rash this past few years? (actually, I think I know the answer to that question)

I still want to know who were the persons (person?) responsible for apparently turning down Google in this respect. I do not want to contribute any more of my taxes to their salary, but particularly the pensions, of those responsible. Most importantly, they need to be removed from any decision making post.

Decca and the Beetles spring to mind.

Edited by gettafa