Port Soderick - Sold

slinkydevil

8 minutes ago, woolley said:

I'd vote to have them removed. They are of no aesthetic value and collectively they are a dump. I think they are owned by H&B.

utopia hair shop is not a dump, neither is the spar shop.   

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/3/2017 at 6:46 AM, homarus said:

I honestly don't know , but I'm  pretty sure that any pathway where there is a record of unbroken  public access for over  (I think?) 20yrs has grounds to become a PROW !

It needs to happen  in this instance ,Port Soderick has a special place in the Hearts of both Manx folk recent arrivals (Less than 50 yrs!) much more so than Langness and look at the shitstorm that created !

Like said previously ,the guy may have the best interests of the public at heart ,but if our clowns in Gov ,allow access to this beach to be restricted where will it end?

When I posted this a month or so back ,i didn't realize how near the mark I might have been !!

I took a spin down to Port Soderick on Thursday last, to see where the land was lying and was surprised to find what appeared to be  a  D.O.I  gov notice(I'll post as soon as I work out how to reduce to fit page!) pinned to the old stone  Arch at the Douglas end of the beach which was the entrance to a P.R.O.W which  led to the Sea lion pen and also further on up to the roadway above if my memory serves.

The notice gives GOV  intention to remove  P.R.O.W status to this stretch of coastal footpath and walkway  ,which over the years has been left to lapse into disrepair by the same GOV which is now trying to promote the IOM as a walkers paradise .

I'd expect this sort of thing from private landowners trying to keep people of their land but not our own GOV who are supposedly the custodians of both todays and future  public  rights .

• Like 8

I can't believe they're even trying to do this , especially after  our GOV spent upwards of  75k  fighting Clarkson to keep open 50yds of PROW at Langness!

Yet here we have these cocooned imbeciles attempting to  strip what appears to be established   PROW status to a once  a once very popular scenic footpath ,exactly the type of which both tourists and future generations of Manxies would love to walk.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, homarus said:

I can't believe they're even trying to do this , especially after  our GOV spent upwards of  75k  fighting Clarkson to keep open 50yds of PROW at Langness!

Yet here we have these cocooned imbeciles attempting to  strip what appears to be established   PROW status to a once  a once very popular scenic footpath ,exactly the type of which both tourists and future generations of Manxies would love to walk.

Spot on "H" ,Am I alone in thinking that pressure should be put on landowners to maintain public footpaths crossing their land?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, homarus said:

...our own GOV who are supposedly the custodians of both todays and future  public  rights .

What a terribly quaint and amusing concept. One which the government in question may find unfamiliar.

• Like 2

Here's  the notification document  for any interested.

I'm also pretty sure that the section of PROW hat they intend to do away with actually carried on all the way back up to the roadway above and didn't finish where it shows on this pic.

I'd say it's pretty poor at best if the only reason DOI are planning on doing away with a very scenic route of PROW is to save a few pennies .

It'll all come out in the wash as they say.!!:)

port soderick 001.JPG

Edited by homarus

1 hour ago, WTF said:

it is cheaper to de-list something than maintain it.

Plus it will stop a lot of people traipsing through the developers land now as there's nowhere to get to. 

Edited by hboy

8 hours ago, homarus said:

Here's  the notification document  for any interested.

I'm also pretty sure that the section of PROW hat they intend to do away with actually carried on all the way back up to the roadway above and didn't finish where it shows on this pic.

I'd say it's pretty poor at best if the only reason DOI are planning on doing away with a very scenic route of PROW is to save a few pennies .

It'll all come out in the wash as they say.!!:)

port soderick 001.JPG

heaven knows where you would find that on the labyrinthian gov.im website, I've just spent ages trawling around and can't find any public notices in any menu or search :-(

"Isle of Man, where you can't"

you get as far as :

What are the long distance Footpaths on the Isle of Man?

1. The Millenium Way - 26 Miles - Sky Hill to Castle Rushen
  2. Bayr Ny Skeddan - 14 Miles - between Castletown and Peel
  3. Raad ny Foillan - 96 Miles - coastal footpath waymarked with a blue sign showing a gull in flight
  4. The Heritage Trail - 26 Miles - Douglas to Peel, St John's to Sulby and Southwards to Foxdale

Additionally, you can use the maps on this site on this site to view all Public Rights of Way.  Click on the local information icon and then select 'Outdoor Pursuits Nearby'

click the 'maps on this site, you get :  (and absence of a 'local information' icon)

local.png

Edited by Tempus Fugit