Port Soderick - Sold

slinkydevil

21 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Yes it does, but the new building seems to be covering the footprint of the old buildings so shouldn't interfere too much. 

It would be good to see it brought to life again. 

It certainly would be good to see the area brought back to life, as long as public access is maintained along the promenade then I have no problem with it.

It will not surprise most on here that the most damage to wildlife recently in the glen was by the DOI who several years ago  crassly destroyed lots of habitat whilst “improving” the paths 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TerryFuchwit said:

The wild life will move. It's no big deal.

There are very few trees on the island and this area had become a magnet to small birds. It will move I agree, until there is nowhere left for it to move to !

• Like 2

2 hours ago, asitis said:

There are very few trees on the island and this area had become a magnet to small birds. It will move I agree, until there is nowhere left for it to move to !

Very few trees?  If you're Stevie Wonder perhaps.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, asitis said:

Do you even live on the Isle of Man?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TerryFuchwit said:

Very few trees?  If you're Stevie Wonder perhaps.

Isle of Man                   6%

United Kingdom           13%

Continental Europe       44%

If you deduct the imported species even less. Figures from the woodland trust.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, asitis said:

Isle of Man                   6%

United Kingdom           13%

Continental Europe       44%

If you deduct the imported species even less. Figures from the woodland trust.

Screenshot_20210715-044202_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210715-044239_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210715-044331_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

It looks like they have finished digging out now, maybe it looked more scary than it was. I'm a bit nervy :)

There will be a 4 storey house where the swings and slide was, looks fairly nice - I wouldn't mind living there.

13 minutes ago, 2bees said:

It looks like they have finished digging out now, maybe it looked more scary than it was. I'm a bit nervy :)

There will be a 4 storey house where the swings and slide was, looks fairly nice - I wouldn't mind living there.

No doubt first time buyer houses LOL !!

13 minutes ago, 2bees said:

What's it like down there in the winter, does it get waves breaking over or is it sheltered?

38 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

What's it like down there in the winter, does it get waves breaking over or is it sheltered?

I don't recall ever being swept away when leaving the pub after attending a Nasty Piece of Work gig? Mind you, I was very, very drunk!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Screenshot_20210715-044202_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210715-044239_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210715-044331_Chrome.jpg

Yeah if you look at any of the Victorian photos on Manx Nostalgia or iMuseum, you'll notice there are virtually no trees.

I'd always assumed that it was the Victorians or soon before that stripped them all for firewood, building, mine supports etc.

With the modern planted single species plantations, I think stating 'no trees' is a bit of a stretch.  Little diverse native ancient woodland would be a fair statement though.   

The woods up at Glen Roy are certainly very different from any of the manmade glens and plantations.  The plantations can be quite dark and biologically deserted places realistically.   

More diverse and native plantings are definitely required and are occurring in some places.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AlanShimmin said:

Not too bad.  It is sheltered from the predominant SW storms. 

A big easterly probably can get a little sketchy, but the sea wall is pretty high.